04-04-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Airtrek Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by miller
    More specs here. http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/...2002_10/15848/

Come on Rosco...more pics pleeeeease!
    Give me a chance, I just got the car back from compliance 3hours ago and it was dark by the time I got home. I kinda took the long way..by about 40km

Name
    Simon
    Last Online
    04-04-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Airtrek Turbo

More specs here. http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/...2002_10/15848/

Come on Rosco...more pics pleeeeease!
    There you go:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

drooooooooool

That is beautifull!

Not one single one for sale in the UK

Name
    Simon
    Last Online
    04-04-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Airtrek Turbo

Well having had more of an opportunity to drive the Airtrek...I'd have to say it is quite impressive.

Far better than the Leggy for "normal" open road and town drivng. That being said, with the foot down the Leggy comes into its own.

Fuel economy should be far better, especially on the open road, because at 100 to 120km/h the Airtrek is doing 2000rpm @ no boost, compared to 2,500+ rpm and boosting for the VR4.

Sounds like the Airtrek has an external wastegate that vents to atmosphere, but I can't see under the turbo to confirm (will be under it doing an oil change next weekend though). It would be strange if that was the case as it would have failed compliance. Can anybody explain what else could make a similar noise once full boost has been reached?

Name
    Warrick
    Last Online
    03-06-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Mitsubishi RVR

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco Type-S
    Well having had more of an opportunity to drive the Airtrek...I'd have to say it is quite impressive.

Far better than the Leggy for "normal" open road and town drivng. That being said, with the foot down the Leggy comes into its own.

Fuel economy should be far better, especially on the open road, because at 100 to 120km/h the Airtrek is doing 2000rpm @ no boost, compared to 2,500+ rpm and boosting for the VR4.

Sounds like the Airtrek has an external wastegate that vents to atmosphere, but I can't see under the turbo to confirm (will be under it doing an oil change next weekend though). It would be strange if that was the case as it would have failed compliance. Can anybody explain what else could make a similar noise once full boost has been reached?
    Exhaust leak (gaskets, cracked mainfold etc) or the exhaust itself. My RVR (the older brother of this) has a wastegate sound when on full boost, but you mainly hear it outside the car through the exhaust, not in it like you would with an external.

Check what turbo you have on there, it should be a TD04-15T.

10psi is what my RVR came out with standard on the TD04, the exhaust and a pod filter brought it up to 12 - 14psi (depending on gear), and with the TD05 I'm running 15psi (100% injector duty cycle on factory 450cc injectors).

Change that interheater to an intercooler when you get a chance (front-mount). You will likely have to rotate the turbo to have clearance in the engine bay, however.

Good to see more people getting into these "people movers" . They're great cars and easy to mod (yay 4G63T + engine bay space).

Name
    Simon
    Last Online
    04-04-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Airtrek Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by SquattingDog
    Exhaust leak (gaskets, cracked mainfold etc) or the exhaust itself. My RVR (the older brother of this) has a wastegate sound when on full boost, but you mainly hear it outside the car through the exhaust, not in it like you would with an external.

Check what turbo you have on there, it should be a TD04-15T.

10psi is what my RVR came out with standard on the TD04, the exhaust and a pod filter brought it up to 12 - 14psi (depending on gear), and with the TD05 I'm running 15psi (100% injector duty cycle on factory 450cc injectors).

Change that interheater to an intercooler when you get a chance (front-mount). You will likely have to rotate the turbo to have clearance in the engine bay, however.

Good to see more people getting into these "people movers" . They're great cars and easy to mod (yay 4G63T + engine bay space).
    I am going to get an engineer mate to look at it when he is free. After another trip or two on the open road I think it is just the internal waste gate "failing" when the revs get to high - around 5500 and 1.25 bar of boost.

Front mount intercooler is on my to do list. I am thinking a cheapie Evo 7 kit off trademe should fit with not too much modification.

It is hard to see the turbo with the manifold cover etc in place, but it appears to tbe the factory TD04

Name
    Warrick
    Last Online
    03-06-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Mitsubishi RVR

I am going to get an engineer mate to look at it when he is free. After another trip or two on the open road I think it is just the internal waste gate "failing" when the revs get to high - around 5500 and 1.25 bar of boost.

Front mount intercooler is on my to do list. I am thinking a cheapie Evo 7 kit off trademe should fit with not too much modification.

It is hard to see the turbo with the manifold cover etc in place, but it appears to tbe the factory TD04
    1.25bar is about on the maximum you want to be running with that TD04. After that it will fall out of its efficiency range and you'll basically be over working it.

Evo 7 kit is what I used for mine, did require a couple of other pipes as there wasn't enough piping to begin with. Get it done custom, honestly. It won't cost that much more than a kit ($600 - 700 vs 400ish) and it will be well worthwhile.

The TD04 tends to run out of puff at 5500rpm, and you may notice a considerable drop in power at 6500rpm (eg revving out to 7k is pointless). Your mods may change this, but you definitely need to get that air temp down with a front-mount.

Sweet looking ride btw

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

so how is the airtrek??

im thinking about going to have a look at this one -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-253686118.htm

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

That looks like a good specimen

Name
    Dale
    Last Online
    15-09-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Mazda6,EG Civic

So are they kind of like a perfected forrester? Damn that black airtrek looks cool.
    I'm not arguing...I'm just offering an endless series of contrary points of view.

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Im watching with interest on relocating the Intercooler or interwarmer as it should be!

Last Online
    14-03-2010
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum vr4 (manual)

never seen one in ireland but there is one for sale

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubi...t?channel=CARS

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Quote Originally Posted by keith-b
    never seen one in ireland but there is one for sale

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubi...t?channel=CARS

Nice example, seems to have a different grill and its the base model spec Decent price too

We love ours more and more!

Mike

Name
    John
    Last Online
    21-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum

Do yopu think the "greatly refined" torque converter would fit in our VR4's? Just thinking ahead.
    Proverbs 20:29

Name
    Simon
    Last Online
    04-04-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Airtrek Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru ETA
    so how is the airtrek??

im thinking about going to have a look at this one -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-253686118.htm
    Oops haven't been on for a while.

It is very good. Way quicker than the VR4, handling is a little better although not as natural as the VR4. Obviously, a lot of that has to do with the mods.

Unmodified, they would be very closely matched but the VR4 would handle better and be quicker off the line.

Fuel economy around town is a lot worse than I expected. Only slightly better than the VR4, although I probably drive it a wee bit harder. Open road economy is a lot better though.

More refined than a VR4 too, but the VR4 has a far superior driving posistion and better feedback from the controls

Name
    Simon
    Last Online
    04-04-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Airtrek Turbo

Im watching with interest on relocating the Intercooler or interwarmer as it should be!
    I haven't got around to it yet, the guy who will help me has been busy with wedding and honeymoon and getting his drag car ready.

Name
    Simon
    Last Online
    04-04-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Airtrek Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by John TheAntique
    Do yopu think the "greatly refined" torque converter would fit in our VR4's? Just thinking ahead.
    Not sure... but if you read this forum http://forums.evolutionm.net/other-c...o-gt3540r.html you will find discussion from the guy with the YouTube videos I posted about the mods he did to his gearbox. Increasing pressure etc.

I'm sure that wil be of interest to Auto VR4 owners

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    12-03-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

Yes, very interesting. Do you know where to buy the parts from ?

Name
    Simon
    Last Online
    04-04-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Airtrek Turbo

A bit of an update:

The wastegate issue I thought I had appears to be a leaking factory BOV.

I am having the Cat. removed later this morning as it is shagged, and I am sick of the smell of sulphur.

Once I have got the boost leak sorted, the guy who built the 400kw Airtrek (which incidentally he is in the process of converting to manual) is going to reflash my ECU.

Also, apparently 18psi peak boost is standard on Airtreks (in 3rd-5th gears)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast