Ben
    Last Online
    06-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum vr4

Big Decision On Turbos To Make, Help

Ok, ok so bigger turbo's will be a pain in the arse! But my other big decision is do i buy BRAND NEW turbo's or do i get mine re-conditioned for the same money???
    The only difference is if i re-con them they have said they can up rate them (I dont know anything about them so dont know how)
    or do i get shinny new ones running the same old power.
    is it as easy a decision as it seems?
    can i trust re-con???
    What would you do??

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I'd be very suspicious of "uprated" TD03s. It's been tried before a few times, and the results were usually that the turbos failed extremely early.

The specific case I have in mind is the shaft magically unbolting itself from the wheel. Whether or not this was down to a full appreciation of the rotational loads these turbos go through, or an inherent limitation of the design is still unknown.

The question really is going to be one of budget:- if you can afford to risk another set of failed turbos, then get some refurbs built with clipped turbine wheels. The spool point will move up the rev range, but you should be able to get more peak-flow out of them.

OF course, changing the turbos in this way really means you should be thinking in terms of a remap, exhaust system, inlet and most definitely a bigger intercooler.

So, I'd suggest you go for some second hand turbos for now, and get yourself an exhaust, ECU, intercooler, fuel pump and reg and potentially some injectors. When you've got this lot (and bear in mind you can easily spend £2000 getting here) then you should be looking at 350bhp or more. If that's not enough, then you could start looking at turbo solutions. Most people find that this is actually a reasonable amount of power in this car. Don't forget that the more you increase the power, the more the filters, belts and plugs and fluids wear: you will need to calculate the cost of decreasing your service interval.

Name
    Christopher
    Last Online
    06-03-2019
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR4

buy 2 WRX scubies turbo! ehhe

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    06-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum vr4

I have an exhaust, with de-cat, was looking at air filters, but when i noticed the car smoking thought I'd better get that sorted first, was told the turbo's had, had it, could be re-built but told to go for new one's.
    the garage have said with new turbo's (if he can find some) and labour the bill will be around £1800 so I really have to be sure what Im doing.
    The car cost me £1800, new wheels £600, tappets, belts and service £850, plus the price of the tappets, exhaust £400, so do i call it a day or do i spend another £1800!! it's a real predicament!

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

£1800 just for turbo replacement? How much are they quoting you for parts on that?

Also, steve... The 350+bhp that your talking about it totally dependant on the specific car. Unfortunately not all cars can make that figure, some struggle around the 300mark, so it is totally unfair to say 'bolt this on and you'l get 350bhp'. Its just simply not true.

Thing is mate, calling it a day would be a shame. But as steve has said, uprated turbo's have caused issue's, but there's not been that many that have tried it. Personally id put recon turbo's on and be done with it. At least then you have peace of mind as you never know what your getting with 2nd hand stuff, you may only get 10k out of them.....

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    06-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum vr4

Brand new turbo's are £547 each plus postage from Germany. to re-con mine is £512, each plus an additional £40 to up-rate them. my biggest problem is what car would I get? I love my Legnum, its not the cleanest and I'd like a nice new car but I'd miss the pull of the Legnum!

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    06-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum vr4

Thanks mate, looked at them, and messaged the guy, he only has one and doesn't know when he'll get another. Im going to talk to the garage tomorrow morning to decide what to do.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    21-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum

Is this the same garage that replaced the tappets, did they give you the old ones back?
    You are only an hour from Eurospec I'd run it up to them before doing anything else. At least you'll know whereyou stasnd then.
    Proverbs 20:29

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I really really doubt that both have failed. I'd be tempted to go somewhere that was a lot cheaper and ask them to identify which turbo is causing the problem, and replace that with a second hand one. If they only last 10,000miles, that's 10,000miles to save up for new ones.

Gowf....fair comment: I was under the impression that power figure was relatively achievable with a good service and those mods.

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    06-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum vr4

Yeah its the same garage and they did give me the old one's.
    I don't have any problems with the garage, the guy knows his stuff, his own car is a massive BHP subaru, and he does a lot of imports.
    I cant take the car anywhere as the turbo's are off.

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    06-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum vr4

I cant remember what they said now but he did say bearings on both, think seals on one, and think casing on one but all old turbo's will have cracks.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

You could just buy second hand turbos from another member on here for next to nothing.

As for the power figures, those mods listed by Steve: exhaust, ECU, intercooler, fuel pump and reg, will get you to 350hp no problems.

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    06-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum vr4

Yeah a member (Carl) did offer me turbos for a good price but if im keeping the car I need to know its going to be reliable.

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

kinger, please let me know the name of the German company where you can get new turbos for £547. PM me if you like.
    If you're considering recon then I have a quote from a UK company that states they can recon our turbos for between £225 & £345 + VAT each (depends on state of your turbos) or they will sell exchange units for £345 + VAT + £10 carriage and they state they have recon exchange units in stock.
    I am currently waiting for a response from 2 Japanese companies concerning availability of recon units, both of which are notably cheaper.
    I know where you're coming from regarding the decision of new vs recon vs second hand and my turbos only have a problem holding boost at the top end!

BTW if your garage is quoting £1800 for a turbo swap including (£547 x 2 + postage from Germany) then this seems a lot of money for their labour charges. I'm sure that many members on here would undertake that job for less than £650, not to mention other garages.

So you could get 2 recon turbos for £800 + fitting. It's looking like this is the way I'll be going unless the German ones really are 'new'.
    With reference to 'uprating' them I'd give that a miss if I were you.
    '97 Legnum VR-4 type S
    DONE - SARD 530cc injectors, SARD AFPR, FMIC, MAP2-ECU, Ralliart air filter & 'Special' MAF, Magnecor leads, NGK 7s, Polyeurethane engine mounts, New lash adjusters, RPW downpipes, Powerflow 3" full de-cat exhaust, Reconditioned turbos, Bespoke AYC gauge, SARD R2D2 BOV, CarPC with EvoScan, Fusion amp & InPhase sub, EBC Turbo grooved & dimpled brake discs, EBC red & green pads, HKS SuperForm Lowering springs, Hydraulic bonnet dampers, Momo steering wheel, Bespoke wideband AFR/Oil pressure gauge thingy, New wiper blades all round!, Amsoiled... woo hoo!
    Growling out 349ft/lb torque, 296 fly HP @ 0.9 bar

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

If the old ones are already off, I'd be inclined to have a bash at fitting the replacements yourself!!!

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    You could just buy second hand turbos from another member on here for next to nothing.

As for the power figures, those mods listed by Steve: exhaust, ECU, intercooler, fuel pump and reg, will get you to 350hp no problems.

Maybe in New Zealand

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

Yes but thats because theres a general higher oxygen content in the air in New Zealand..

Thats why all the stock cars run sub 14 second quarters!
    '97 EVO 4 GSR

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    06-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum vr4

Well now im screwed! spoke to the garage this morning and the NEW turbo's from Germany are Wrong!!! sweet!
    What now??
    I see some people have but tdo4's on their cars, how? who does the custom manifolds? and how much?
    What about the issue of space, its pretty tight under the bonnet.
    You regulars on this forum must be sick to death of me! very sorry for all the stupid questions.
    will open a new thread on custom manifolds.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by kinger
    will open a new thread on custom manifolds.
    Keep it on here - you'll be fine!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast