03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

On Atiks car the danger to the pistons was from the knock i encountered on that run- so i stopped the run. Essentially i tried to run more boost than the car was happy with and i didnt have enough timing resolution left to stop the knock without the egt's going sky high! Ultimately there is a limit to how much you can get in there without breaking/melting stuff.

I have a vipec board here now for the auto, and the test car is coming early next month. If the torque reduction works as i think it does, then i should be able to make it work. If it doesnt, then i will have a load of work to try and get it to work.

The transmission type wont matter for ecu reflash. The tcu is separate. Ive done evo & GTA's and they are auto, so should be no issue.

I suspect the vr4 ecu will be not quite as flexible as the evo, but i am expecting the process to be the same. Basic tables should be able to be updated no problems. So fuel, ign, boost etc etc etc.

As of now i have never used 'live flash' on the evos. I have tried it and never had it work, but it works by using a volatile section of memory that you later commit to flash.

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Quote Originally Posted by Eurospec
    Ive done evo & GTA's and they are auto, so should be no issue.
    How did you feel the GTA reacted to a reflash, was it a better drive afterwards,much the same or harsher?

I so dont want to mess too much with the Airtrek but would love that extra kick of a little more bhp

Mike
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Miller, I would have thought that was more down to the map rather than the tech: Nice smooth ignition curves, plenty of low end driveability etc etc etc

Name
    Edmund
    Last Online
    18-03-2020
    Country
    Other
    Car
    91 Galant

You do know that the maps can be expanded to 21x20 for timing and 20x15 for fuel to provide enough resolution. Which puts it within the size of the Evo 9 maps

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by miller
    How did you feel the GTA reacted to a reflash, was it a better drive afterwards,much the same or harsher?

I so dont want to mess too much with the Airtrek but would love that extra kick of a little more bhp

Mike
    The 7 was fine mate, obviously since i turned the boost up the shifts were harsher on full throttle, but the rest of it was fine.

I think i have the stock roms for the airtek too.

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

Okay, so i re-mapped atiks car today.

Mixed news:-

First of all at 0.9 bar i got 300bhp and 350ft/lbs torque.

However, it seems like the xml file for atiks ecu is incorrect in some way. The internal ID is 20030010, this is one of the xmls that is out there, however it does some wierd stuff:-

First of all the fuel cut limiter can be read, can be written, but has no effect irrespective of edits, ie fuel cut remains. I suspect there must be another level to it that the xml doesnt define, or there are multiple tables which need to be edited.

The rpm ranges in the fuel maps seem to be incorrect. Example, when i edited the 4000 and 4500 ranges the applied change happened at that load, but at 6000 and 6500 rpms.

So i am going to road test the car tonight- i suspect it will boost cut on the road, unless i back the boost off.

Now i can tune, but xml defs are something beyond me. If someone has an updated one i can try, that would be great.

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

Sorry- just to say, the process itself works exactly as it should/does with evos, so the ecus are defo editable and tuneable and the flash 'sticks' after a ign reset and a battery disconnect, but it seems certain bits have other dimensions that are yet to be defined. Oh and the ecu rom description says it is for MANUAL or AUTO.

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I read the xml def for the 20030010.xml file and it just inherits all the vr4base atributes .

May be worth posting back up on geekmapped to see if someone is willing to double check them ,

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

have you guys spoken to aderC, he was one of the first to play with reflashing of the 7202 ecu.
    he may have some answers on this issue.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

No, but i found a later xml base definition. Just tried it this morning- it will only read the rom data though.

I'll give him a try.

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

Okay, right, i found the problem. You are gonna have to bear with me as i dont program computers, so let me try and explain.

The maps are made up of:-

A rom file that contains all map information

that rom file is kind of 'decoded' by an xml file, which to the best of my ability seems to be like a street map of the ecu memory structure that defines where each seperate bit of the rom file is kept.

The xml file which is out there has an incorrect address in it- it wrongly specifies the location of the boost cut table. It identifies it as having the sme address as one of the target boost tables.

Hence, if you try to edit the boost cut table, using the xml definition that exists it doesnt work. It will read the table, write the tyable, but actually you are editing another table. (target boost).

To fix it you have to open up the xml file and change the address of the boost cut table from 12228 to 11d1b. Then it works!

Be aware that the original address is a target boost table, so if anyone has reflashed thinking they are moving the cut, they are actually editing a boost table, which may result in freaky boost behaviour on a car not equiped with a boost controller.

Cheers,

Ben.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i am reading this with great interest. keep it up!

Xanadu Detailing
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurospec
    Okay, right, i found the problem. You are gonna have to bear with me as i dont program computers, so let me try and explain.

The maps are made up of:-

A rom file that contains all map information

that rom file is kind of 'decoded' by an xml file, which to the best of my ability seems to be like a street map of the ecu memory structure that defines where each seperate bit of the rom file is kept.

The xml file which is out there has an incorrect address in it- it wrongly specifies the location of the boost cut table. It identifies it as having the sme address as one of the target boost tables.

Hence, if you try to edit the boost cut table, using the xml definition that exists it doesnt work. It will read the table, write the tyable, but actually you are editing another table. (target boost).

To fix it you have to open up the xml file and change the address of the boost cut table from 12228 to 11d1b. Then it works!

Be aware that the original address is a target boost table, so if anyone has reflashed thinking they are moving the cut, they are actually editing a boost table, which may result in freaky boost behaviour on a car not equiped with a boost controller.

Cheers,

Ben.

Arse!!!!!!!!!!!

NUTTEERRRRRR!!!!!

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Woohoo! 300bhp and 350ft/lb of torque...
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu Detailing
    Arse!!!!!!!!!!!

NUTTEERRRRRR!!!!!

Did say tell you no gareenteesss

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

LOL.

Don/John, did you have any issue with the same problem on the Super? Maybe the 7202 ECU in the Super has a different XML code? I dont recall if there was a problem with boost cut and I cant be arsed to search

Xanadu Detailing
    Quote Originally Posted by Atik
    LOL.

Don/John, did you have any issue with the same problem on the Super? Maybe the 7202 ECU in the Super has a different XML code? I dont recall if there was a problem with boost cut and I cant be arsed to search
    we tried to move boost cut...

thought we had but maybe we didnt.....

I certainly cant run much higher boost than i was and we thought it was down to the low temps, maybe it was due to not modifying the correct table in the first place

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Ahh right. Well, I guess the only way is to check it again, now armed with the right info. This is exciting

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Ben can you put your copy of vr4base up on here as I have 2 different copies from around the same time and want to make sure I have the correct one

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

Errrr, yeah, how do i do that?!

I do cars mate! I struggle to put pictures on!

Atiks got a good point, i do not know how the different roms will react to the change i did. Since all roms are a dughter of the defn, then i think they will be fine.

Cheers,

Ben.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast