Last Online
    11-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    7 x VR-4 & EA6W

bang bang bang rattle (Part 2)

Part 1 ---> http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43168

Bought one more 96 Legnum VR4 recently for £700... Around 50tm on the clock. The first impression: LOT of lash adjusters was dead, but it drove fine. Just ticked like hell... Checked the engine oil - not much left

Opened cam covers to change adjusters - what I saw underneath looked exactly like pictures from Kelly&Ben's thread above! The engine oil was turned into a burned dirt... Aha. That's why it was so chaep!

My thought: the engine oil is also supposed to clean the internals, so I cleaned adjusters, removed as much of the dirt as I could from the heads and poured fresh oil in there...

Result: adjusters got quiet, I was happy... for a while. A month, maybe

Yesterday: suddenly... Lash adjusters went from very quiet to EXTREMLY loud in one second... Seemed to be the rear bank, of course...

Opened the rear cam cover... The one cam was absolutely dry. There was no sign of oil on it! All lash adjusters on that cam was stone dead. Another cam was still breathing, but wasn't in best shape ever

I think: OIL BLOCKAGE

Now, the question: I don't really want to loose this engine, but is there anything I can to to clean this mess up? Any flush, that will do this very heavy job? Pressurised air?! Anyone tried flush of this dimentions and got away with it?
    Last edited by GalantOnly; 25-12-2009 at 02:11 AM.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I assume the oil level is still ok and that the front bank is healthy looking?
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

bummer, best advice i can give is drain the oil and refit the sump plug and rear rocker cover, then fill the engine up with paraffin, I don't mean fill it to the max line on the dipstick,
    I mean FILL the engine to the top and then leave it to soak for a week, then drain it, then clean as many of the oilways out as possible with an airline, then fill it up with paraffin again and leave for a couple of days, then drop that and let it drain overnight and again blow out the oilways that you can get to, then fill with oil etc and try it. i've known this method work on 4 gummed up engines before with success

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by psbarham
    bummer, best advice i can give is drain the oil and refit the sump plug and rear rocker cover, then fill the engine up with paraffin, I don't mean fill it to the max line on the dipstick,
    I mean FILL the engine to the top and then leave it to soak for a week, then drain it, then clean as many of the oilways out as possible with an airline, then fill it up with paraffin again and leave for a couple of days, then drop that and let it drain overnight and again blow out the oilways that you can get to, then fill with oil etc and try it. i've known this method work on 4 gummed up engines before with success
    Wow - great info!

So, what is the FULL capacity of this engine then?
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio
    So, what is the FULL capacity of this engine then?
    Interesting!

im hazarding a guess of 2.5litres plus say 4lires odd

6.5litres?
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn