Last Online
    08-01-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Currently an MG ZT

Purchasing a Legnum VR4

Hi there.

I'm about to sell my poxy MG ZT190 V6 as its let me down again, at Dover on 23rd Dec, about to leave the UK on a ferry to go and see family in France for Xmas for ten days. AAARRRGGGG!!!
    Anyway, been looking at these Legnum VR4 thingys. I've known of them for years. I know they're quick, but how quick??
    I've read lots of info on here about them, but just would like to hear some up to date info really.
    Obviously i'm after something really reliable, as I do a lot of driving in France and want a load lugging fast estate car. How reliable are they?
    My budget is around 3 grand. not a lot I know. There seems to be a few around for that money. Are they gonna be awful?
    What are the most common problems with them??
    Thanks all.
    Alex

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

if you look after them they can be very reliable....they are Japanese after all.
    i'v been running mine as a daily drive for the past 2 and bit years so far the only things that have gone wrong was the battery and a front wheel bearing which aint bad for 13 year old car
    "Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"................ (Gilles Villeneuve)

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Reliability is great, if maintained, quite simply!

If you do have any problems, failed parts, etc., then this club is a fantastic place to get them, as well as the advice to sort out the problem. For example, a few weeks ago, I broke my rear diff (oops! ), but within 48 hours of it breaking, I'd got another one for a decent price, and with a bit of help from a few club friends, it was pretty much back up together!

Not that the diff is a reliability problem - mine had been subject to more power, quite a few launches, some track sessions, a few laps of the Nurburgring. I pootled to France in the summer also with it and the family! No probs.

Whereabouts are you? There may be a nearby member happy to show you around their's?
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

It's all been said above but to address your comment about intended usage I think it would be wise to point out that the fuel economy is between 15-20MPG on average, however others have managed to get higher than that.
    If you compare this to something like an RS4 though the car will be over a third cheaper but similar running costs as I see it. Oh and the insurance will be a lot less too.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Last Online
    08-01-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Currently an MG ZT

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm not too fussed about mpg.used to be right in to my jap cars, but my wife of three years has always pretty much hated them. But after the MG letting us down a few times and a few people saying to go japanese for reliability, its got her thinking.
    I showed her a Legnum VR4 tonight and she liked it, so i'm thinking aye up, i could be back to fast jap cars again!!
    Sorry about the lack of info on my avatar. I'll change it now.
    I'm in Sandy, Bedfordshire. There's a nice fresh Legnum VR4 import in Herts which is near by. Here's the link - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1394155.htm What do ya reckon chaps?? I like subtle. Think this one doesn't scream "look i'm really fast"!
    Like I said, not too fussed about mpg. My current car, MG ZT V6 190 gets about 28mpg on the motorway, around town about 18-20mpg. About 300 miles to a full tank (65 litres).

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

well if you need someone to have a look at the car with ya give me a shout

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Last Online
    08-01-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Currently an MG ZT

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter_John
    well if you need someone to have a look at the car with ya give me a shout
    Thanks so much mate. What do ya reckon to the one in my link from Pistonheads? Its not too far, and I like the subtlety of it i.e colour and wheels etc.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

It's seems ok from the Pics , it is a pre-facelift so will be a 97/98 car so on a R or S plate .

Do you know where abouts in Herts it is , also he seems to have it up for 25 days which could give you some push for a better price .

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

Quote Originally Posted by alexward
    MG ZT V6 190 gets about 28mpg on the motorway, around town about 18-20mpg. About 300 miles to a full tank (65 litres).
    sounds like a legnum ......oh and forgot to say

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

And the clock is easy-peasy to fix!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    05-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70 T5

I owned an mg zt 190+ and will say it was a lot better on fuel than my vr4 lol

From notts to my mums in wales which was 186 miles i got there on half a tank of fuel.

Around notts i was getting 28 - 32 mpg and i do sometimes have a heavy foot ! on the motorway doing a steady 70 - 80 mph i was averaging 35 -37 mpg

Oh and welcome to the club alexward.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    sounds like a legnum ......oh and forgot to say

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi & welcome to CVR4.

Good luck with search.
    The mighty Leedsnum has gone but the Airtrek mods will soon fill this space

How To:Contact Committee or Moderators.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

If you're only in Sandy, you're welcome to come out for a spin in mine on the weekend? Give you a feel for it.

Name
    Kev
    Last Online
    21-09-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Hi & welcome, silvers a good choice.

Kev

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi & welcome.
    You won't go wrong with any advice from Nutter-John, or Turbo_Steve, both are very knowledge able and know these cars (and others) inside out, the silver manual looks good, and would be worth haggling a bit.
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Hey, thanks Louis!

I'd be the first to say that from a mechanical perspective, NJ's knowledge leaves mine standing in the dust, though!

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

But NJ now drives an Evo so his opinions dont count anymore
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Last Online
    08-01-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Currently an MG ZT

Thanks for all the input guys. You seem a very helpful bunch. Looking forward to spending more time on here when I get my Legnum.
    It is up for sale for 25 days on Fleabay, so hopefully it will be there when my ZT has sold.
    I like the silver because of its subtlety. My missus hates lairy Jap cars, so the more Q car it looks, the more she'll like it. Its half her car too!

I don't know where it is in Herts but if you would come with me to have a look at it Nutter_ John, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll come and pick you up and shout you lunch and beer!! Maybe with all your knowledge, between us, we can haggle the vendor down!!! lol.
    After purchasing, i'll be saving for goodies for it. That'll please her indoors. Haha.
    I'll keep you guys posted on the selling of the ZT, as soon as its gone, i'll be purchasing my VR4 and paying up and becoming a full member on here.

Name
    dave
    Last Online
    18-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    350z/Espace

Quote Originally Posted by alexward
    Thanks for all the input guys. You seem a very helpful bunch. Looking forward to spending more time on here when I get my Legnum.
    It is up for sale for 25 days on Fleabay, so hopefully it will be there when my ZT has sold.
    I like the silver because of its subtlety. My missus hates lairy Jap cars, so the more Q car it looks, the more she'll like it. Its half her car too!

I don't know where it is in Herts but if you would come with me to have a look at it Nutter_ John, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll come and pick you up and shout you lunch and beer!! Maybe with all your knowledge, between us, we can haggle the vendor down!!! lol.
    After purchasing, i'll be saving for goodies for it. That'll please her indoors. Haha.
    I'll keep you guys posted on the selling of the ZT, as soon as its gone, i'll be purchasing my VR4 and paying up and becoming a full member on here.

cambridge . i test drove this 4 months ago . snow tyres , never a grade 4 (condition is more grade 3)couple of dings needs respray on bumper and mirrors, fuel cuts ,and drove like a pig. needs full service too. expect at least another 1.5k in bills to get this running looking ok. had to threaten to walk away as he refused to give me a test drive ,finally talked him round and wished id never bothered. he knew nothing about this car .
    sorry to say this but i waisted 4 hours getting to and looking over this car.

price dropped by £800 since i looked though

Last Online
    08-01-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Currently an MG ZT

Quote Originally Posted by wobble
    cambridge . i test drove this 4 months ago . snow tyres , never a grade 4 (condition is more grade 3)couple of dings needs respray on bumper and mirrors, fuel cuts ,and drove like a pig. needs full service too. expect at least another 1.5k in bills to get this running looking ok. had to threaten to walk away as he refused to give me a test drive ,finally talked him round and wished id never bothered. he knew nothing about this car .
    sorry to say this but i waisted 4 hours getting to and looking over this car.

price dropped by £800 since i looked though
    Its a dog then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast