Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel
    Yep you don't expect to drive a performance car and have outstanding economy
    Actually, I do. I've had quite a lot of performance cars, with power outputs varying for 160bhp (a Mk1 MR2) all the way up to a 500+bhp 300ZX, and a selection of Scoobs, an Evo, a GTiR.......

The Legnum has the worst fuel economy of all of them. To the extent that buying a copy of EvoScan and a cable seems a sensible economy for me, just to actually check things are working as they should be.
    The setup on the VR4 is just epic: they appear to have tried to make it feel like a 4.0L, with light pressure turbos and a super-flat torque curve.

Unfortunately, it's got the fuel economy of a big old-style yank V8 on carbs!

The most obvious fix for a VR4 is to change the final drive to get much taller gearing, allowing a higher speed cruise. Unfortunately, it's also ruining the car into the bargain: taking away from what it's good at.

A 6th ratio, with really tall gearing, would be fantastic...and is never going to happen.

So I come back to looking at the maps and the turbos, and thinking that the car spends most of it's life cruising just sliiiightly on boost...when there is no reason.

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    10-09-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1991 Galant VR-

I noticed a great improvement of fuel economy when I went from the factory TC05 to a TC06 on my Eterna, more so when cruising on the highway at 3000rpm or so as the turbo wasn't always spooled up like the TC05 was at those revs.
    1991 E39A Galant VR-4 - the original VR-4
    1980 A164A Eterna GSR Coupe - 3.0 V6 MIVEC TT!

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

It would be the same in a VR-4 with TD04s. I've had my bov make noise at 1800rpm before
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

well the engine has arrived in Palmy yay.. now i gotta finish your car Brad so i can strt on mine... im hoping to do a deal for a vr4 upgrade conversion innexchange for the paintjob tho.. then shes all go and ill ahve it done for the 4's and rotarys entry...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345