Name
    Sam
    Last Online
    09-02-2013
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    '96 MT VR4 Legn

Whats the necessity of disconnecting and reconnecting the battery after the first fill of 98? The previous owner of my VR4 used 91 for some misguided reason, and its had two fills of 98 since I bought it. Is it still a good idea to disconnect and reconnect the battery?

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by Slam Jay
    Whats the necessity of disconnecting and reconnecting the battery after the first fill of 98? The previous owner of my VR4 used 91 for some misguided reason, and its had two fills of 98 since I bought it. Is it still a good idea to disconnect and reconnect the battery?
    Resets the ECU and clears things like det count if it has been run on poo fuel in the past. Essentially a clean slate to start with again.

Name
    KiwiTT
    Last Online
    24-05-2018
    Membership ID
    NZ001
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    BMW 330i
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Some NZ members (KiwiTT I believe) use 95 in the standard boost application.
    I have now reverted back to 98 as I noticed no significant benefit by trialling the new Shell V-Power (95).
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a VR-4, around corners at speed. But it costs see here

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiTT
    I have now reverted back to 98 as I noticed no significant benefit by trialling the new Shell V-Power (95).
    Have you noticed any benefit since you returned to 98RON?

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

You'd never notice any benefit by moving from BP 98 to some over-hyped 95 octane that has nothing to do with the fuel that they put in F1 cars
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

If the V-power available here was the same as the V-power in the Eurozone it would be surprisingly close to the composition of ordinary petrol but the fuel compounds in F1 are more tightly controlled.

Name
    ralf
    Last Online
    10-11-2013
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    evo

used BP 98 in all my modded cars, 99 ultimate when at ARAL and V -power 100 when i was feeling like throwing some euros around

nothing less than 98 tho

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

I wasn't really sure whether to start a new thread with this, but I guess it's relevant information.

An interested thread over on PH has lead to a few comments, if true make for interesting reading.

The thread:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...uel?&mid=59876

The comments:

[Bloke 1]
    Its a complicated business, for turbo cars you want stability which Tesco 99 and Shell Optimax / V power whatever its called offer, this is easily measured if your in a tuned car with knock detection, these two UK fuels work well. BP Ultimate is crap for turbos it doesn't allow the ignition advance that the tesco or sheel allows, but apparently (so I've read -don't know if true) the BP stuff has a higher calorific value so the burn is supposed to provide more energy

[Bloke 2]
    Generally speaking the calorific value of the fuel is inversely related to its octane rating. Longer-chain hydrocarbons have higher calorific value but lower octane rating - see LPG (high octane, low calorific value) at one end of the scale and diesel (high calorific value, ruinously low octane) at the other. Many octane-boosting additives are hydrocarbon molecules with added oxygen which also gives them a low calorific value - in effect they are partially oxidised before they even get near your engine.

[Bloke 3]
    Shell fuel has a higher calorific value than Tesco/Greenergy 99RON. The ethanol reduces this, whilst upping the octane: thats why it better suits turbocharged cars which derive a greater benefit from the increased advance.
    Id say that Optimax/V-Power was better in theory, but Greenergy99 seems to suit some turbocharged cars better in practice.

Interesting stuff given that alot of folks on here use either Tesco99, Shell V-Power or BP ultimate. I don't know how this info converts to NZ though.
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Not looked at the actual thread - but I agree with all of the comments above!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    22-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Lexus IS300h

IMO Tesco 99 seems to work better than Shell V-Power

Name
    Sampa
    Last Online
    19-04-2023
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant VR-4

*scratching head and wondering if ordering the VR4 to Africa is the right thing*

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Guys I've run mine on ARAL (BP) Ultimate 100 and V-Power 100 since arriving in Germany in Oct 07 and I woul dsay that after trying both with varing driving styles that the Shell was better fuel. My car gave less knock and more MPG on Shell than the ARAL every time, so much so that I haven't put ARAL in for about 6 months now.
    I still get the occasional knock count (up to 80 max) but I never get any drop in the octane level. My knock seems to come at odd points to oso I'm not even sure it's anything to do with the fuel or even real det over a knocking crossmember, it's certainly more to do with the 13psi I run than the fuel.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123