Ray
    Last Online
    27-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 VR4 & 01 BMW

Confused!

So I decided it was time to install my stereo system (amps, sub and capacitor) the other day . Wired the power wire through the firewall, ran it to the boot, did the RCA's, remote, ground then hooked it all up to the amp. Wired the sub to the amp ... turn on the Headunit ... THUMP! ...hmmm... change the source to CD (two clicks to get there), THUMP!, THUMP! ... turn off the Headunit in a panic ... THUMP!

So I decided to disconnect the sub for awhile until I could check my grounding properly later.

Had some time to look at the stereo...undid the grounding and sanded the paint right back and made sure I have a good connection ... rewire sub ... headunit on ... THUMP! ...

Then I hear my front left speaker & tweeter crackling ... pull open the door and think I found some water on the wires . So I'm assuming there is some earthing issue here. Unwire the speaker from the headunit completely (so not connected at all). Turn the headunit back on and still THUMP! from the sub!

I need HELP! lol.

A) The SUB is thumping like its recieving too much or not enough power?

B) Could there just be a ground issue behind the headunit/to the front left speaker?

Name
    Ray
    Last Online
    27-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 VR4 & 01 BMW

FYI: I have tried more than one cable for everything but the ground wire and speaker wire...but they worked perfectly fine in the galant.
    Also used a small speaker in place of the sub which had the same issue....

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Try putting a switch in the remote wire to the amp. Most headunits and amps have a 'soft turn on delay' function which delays the amp powering up for about 2 seconds after the headunit does, which in turn prevents the thump.

So put a switch on the remote, then turn it on after the headunit and see how that goes.

Name
    Jeremy
    Last Online
    29-05-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 VR4 | 01 CF4

Dude,

If you come on sunday I can have a look at with you.. Otherwise if you are free tomorrow, flick me a pm with your number and we can meet up and I will have a look at it for you.

I have my sounds in bits atm, so can substitute amps etc/try your in my car to see what we can find.

J

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

make sure youve connected the amp remote upto the amp remote and not elec antenna ,sometimes this can affect it or cause issues

Name
    Jeremy
    Last Online
    29-05-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 VR4 | 01 CF4

Quote Originally Posted by VR4WGN
    make sure youve connected the amp remote upto the amp remote and not elec antenna ,sometimes this can affect it or cause issues
    That usually causes it to not work at all Q. I have made that mistake before..

Name
    Ray
    Last Online
    27-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 VR4 & 01 BMW

Hahah thanks guys but I managed to sort it out (well find the source of the issue).
    My Subwoofer pre-outs are stuffed...yay for 3 year warrenty!

Sorry I couldn't make it on Sunday, my wife wanted to go for a drive at 2220ish on Saturday...we ended up driving to palmerston north via SH2 and then drove back, so I didn't get home to bed until 0150...then didn't wake up till 1000.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

Quote Originally Posted by CANDEE
    That usually causes it to not work at all Q. I have made that mistake before..
    tried turning the radio on and then youll see the majic happen lol

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Quote Originally Posted by kNuTz
    Hahah thanks guys but I managed to sort it out (well find the source of the issue).
    My Subwoofer pre-outs are stuffed...yay for 3 year warrenty!
    If it's a Pioneer headunit, they have a fused pre-out link... if you aren't careful you can blow this when you plug the RCAs in, typically happens if you do it when the headunit is on.

'96 Legnum VR-4 in Sophia White, car mods:
    600x300x76 Intercooler, genuine HKS SSQV BOV, 17" DTM Demon wheels, 3" catback RPS Evo 4-6.5 exhaust with no cat, 3" post-IC hard pipe kit, 7203 ECU
    Coming up: TD04's.

ICE: Fully tweaked CarPC with active crossover through the PC
    JBL - SoundMagus - Vifa - Focal - JL Audio

Name
    Ray
    Last Online
    27-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 VR4 & 01 BMW

Quote Originally Posted by wintertidenz
    If it's a Pioneer headunit, they have a fused pre-out link... if you aren't careful you can blow this when you plug the RCAs in, typically happens if you do it when the headunit is on.
    Nah it's a Sony and all my car installs are done with the battery disconnected.
    Took it in to the shop and it's under 3 yr warrenty so I'll get a new headunit or mine back fixed...so just driving with no sounds atm