Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Air con pulley problem

In the last six months or so (I know, I know, I should have looked at it sooner) my Galant has gained an odd rattling noise from the front left of the engine (if you're standing at the front of the engine bay) which increases/decreases with revs. I had it running and stuck my head underneath and it looks like the disk in the attached picture (B) is loose from the triangular bit (C)and is not rotating round with the pulley. The 'bolts' marked C are two bolts, with one being a solid plasticy plug or stud. I can't for the life of me work out how to get the disk more firmly attached to the triangular bit (C). It is solidly connected to the rubber plug/stud, but is quite loose from the other 'bolts' which rotate freely when you try to turn them with your fingers, but don't seem to tighten anything up.

Trying to angle my head under and using a mirror, the 'bolts' marked C don't actually look like bolts, and the lack of access means that I can't get a socket on them to see if they have hex heads. Looking in ASA it seems there is some kind of magnetic clutch type assembly involved in the aircon, but the noise is still there whether I put the aircon on or not. Am I going to have to replace the pulley assembly? A previous thread on here mentioned a sound not dissimilar to an angle grinder, albeit running very slowly. I would try to remove the wheel arch liner to get a better look at it but I'm not sure how to remove the plastic fixings, whether they're reusable or not and i'm p*ssed off at a bolt shearing. Is it something that can wait a while or does it need to be sorted straight away?

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mitsubishi? They made the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor! I ain't sellin' Hitler's canoe to no traitor! Hop on your sushi-boat and git!

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Its possible the clutch assembly has just died, it does happen.

Just a thought does the disc turn with the triangular bit when the ac is on?

if you do need one I have a pump here.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

As Paul hinted at - if the air con is off, then the centre triangular part of the pulley doesn't turn. There is a clutch that comes in when you turn the air con on.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. When the aircon is turned on, it does rotate with the pulley for a short while but then stops and just continues it's rattling. Sounds like I need a new magnetic clutch. Does the aircon need to be discharged before touching this, or can it be done with the system full?

Last Online
    12-08-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport Est.

Hi,
    If the clutch drops out again it could be low on gas in the AC system. You're best bet would be to de-gas and remove the compressor to change the clutch bearing or just swap in another compressor.
    Cheers,
    Gavin

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Hi Bat,

I'm pretty confident that the aircon is fully gassed up, I had an issue with a hole in one of the pipes that got sorted last summer and has a new section put in, leak tested and regassed. Oddly, the noise really only seemed to start after that - perhaps now the aircon has got refrigerant in the system it works harder/has something to compress?

Was really hoping that I could remove the clutch without degassing the system though.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Cashed

Was really hoping that I could remove the clutch without degassing the system though.
    I think you can, i have one out side, i'll have a look for you tomorrow to see if its possible

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Well, I was planning to sort this out this weekend, but it appears the car had different ideas. Cue seizing aircon pump, shredding belt, tow by the AA.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Do you mean it mullered itself today!? that's pants timing.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Yeah, the belt's still intact but drive any distance and the belt starts throwing bits of itself out and smoking Never mind, I've got all the bits to sort it I just need to figure how to remove the gas or find a professional that's not too fussed about venting it into the air.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

You can get aircon places to de-gas.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Just to check, I'm safe to cut the belt and remove it to drive it to a air con garage? Obviously I'll loose power steering but it's only a couple of miles there. Once degassed I will be able to remove the compressor, fit the new one and get it recharged.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm not aware of any reason not to do this. I know several members have driven there cars with no P/S belt and I don't remember any detrimental effects to their cars from doing so.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

As he said.
    Just after removing belt, check and re-tension alternator belt. Both belts are on opposite sides of crank pulley so they counter-balanceing each other. After removing one, other may became too loose.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar