Thread: The other ball joint

Last Online
    15-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Galant GLS

Question The other ball joint - now with picture! Please Help

Well my visit to Mitsi yesterday didn't go to plan!

I thought that the to-n-fro clunking from my left front suspension was bound to be the ball joint that was covered under warranty so imagine my surprise when the snotty receptionist tells me that my lower ball joints were fine. :wtf:

I protested much over this revelation telling her that there is a problem, that it clunks all the time, and that it needs fixing.

She stone-facely replied that the mechanic said it was fine so it couldn't be that, that our own mechanic who initially diagnosed the problem was wrong and told us to go back to the drawing board!!!

Me and boyf not impressed by unfriendly unhelpful staff - and to name and shame it was Holden Mitsubishi of Norwich. :whip:

So when we calmed down and visited our mechanic again to tell him what happened he helpfully put the car on the ramp and said "Well, there are two ball joints on each wheel - I guess they mean the other one is the lower ball joint and the broken one is ?????)

So guys - any idea what the other ball joint is called??

I don't have a workshop manual so wouldn't have a clue.

If anyone knows the part no. and cost of this and whether my symptoms are even associated with that ball joint I would be most grateful.

To put it simply - HELP!!
    Last edited by firefly; 25-07-2004 at 06:50 PM.

1997 Mitsi Galant GLS estate in Finesse Green - NOW SCRAPPED

Modifications:
    17" 100+ Phantom alloys in Hi-power silver - Sweeeeet!
    Smoked indicators and repeaters.
    Stainless steel genuine mitsubishi galant boot step
    Sparco carbon fibre foot pedals
    Momo carbon fibre and leather gear knob
    Sony CD Player
    Midnight black front grill
    Sparkly mitsubishi logos!
    Blood red calipers
    K&N Replacement panel filter

Lots to do list: Tinted windows, stainless steel exhaust, carbon fibre bonnet......yada, yada, yada

Last Online
    31-12-2006
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    wrx---- ive moved on

Quote Originally Posted by firefly
    Well my visit to Mitsi yesterday didn't go to plan!

I thought that the to-n-fro clunking from my left front suspension was bound to be the ball joint that was covered under warranty so imagine my surprise when the snotty receptionist tells me that my lower ball joints were fine. :wtf:

I protested much over this revelation telling her that there is a problem, that it clunks all the time, and that it needs fixing.

She stone-facely replied that the mechanic said it was fine so it couldn't be that, that our own mechanic who initially diagnosed the problem was wrong and told us to go back to the drawing board!!!

Me and boyf not impressed by unfriendly unhelpful staff - and to name and shame it was Holden Mitsubishi of Norwich. :whip:

So when we calmed down and visited our mechanic again to tell him what happened he helpfully put the car on the ramp and said "Well, there are two ball joints on each wheel - I guess they mean the other one is the lower ball joint and the broken one is ?????)

So guys - any idea what the other ball joint is called??

I don't have a workshop manual so wouldn't have a clue.

If anyone knows the part no. and cost of this and whether my symptoms are even associated with that ball joint I would be most grateful.

To put it simply - HELP!!

what you are reffering to sounds like the steering rack ball joints (or as they say at mitsi KNUCKLE ENDS) if it is this it will cost you about £45 a side (mitsi prices)or if you want to do it on the cheap side £15-£20(motor factor prices).
    IVE JUST HAD IT DONE

Last Online
    15-11-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Galant GLS

Thanks craig!

Just to clarify this tho the boyf has drawn a picture of what needs replacing - do you reckon this is the knuckle joint?

If so I don't suppose you know that part number for this do you?

Thanks for all you help and any other assistance from the rest of you regarding cheaper alternatives is very welcome.
    Last edited by firefly; 23-07-2004 at 12:36 PM.