NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

AYC Pump information

I just got a ACD pump. I got it fairly cheap (compared to a complete unit) because it was missing the motor.

I had a hunch that the motor was probably the same as the system is essentially the same, and the GSR evos use the one pump for AYC and ACD.

Anyway, it turns out that not only is the pump motor the same, so is the oil pump.

The interesting bit was that I got the ACD pump off a rally driver. He said that the pumps are usually pretty good, but it is the motors which end up dying.
    The motor is apparently able to be re-wound (the rally guys do this) for ~$400 NZ. This saves buying a whole new pump unit from mitsubishi for silly money.

The oil pump is a gerotor gear pump which are apparently very tolerant of abuse. As such, if your AYC pump dies, it is most likely the motor.

So, if your AYC pump dies and you have ruled out the pressure switch, re-winding the motor could be the cheaper solution. Also more reliable than a second hand one!

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Pics of the motor?
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Sorry, it is all assembled now. Besides, it is an electric motor... there isn't really much variation in them.

The pump is probably more interesting, but then you can google gerotor and you will see how it works.

Alternatively, you can just take the motor off your own AYC pump and take a look.