Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by chris g
    I think that ship has sailed

If capital letters are anything to go by then someone is shouting on the forum

I guess my joking about the thread being hijacked by interlopers has not gone down too well and offence has already been taken

I have seen this before where humour cannot be recognised - no inflexion in a voice to be heard, no expression in a face or gestures to be seen whilst speaking

I cannot get used to emoticons or whatever those f'in things are so I just have my inimitable Yorkshire turn of phrase

I am sorry if it has been taken the wrong way but sensitivity is not a thing to bring onto a forum where so little can be felt to mean so much
    Fair enough. Let's all leave it there then, eh?

One last observation... Emoticons are good - use them!:-D
    You don't even need to remember the keyboard combinations :rolleyes5 - they're clickable from the side of the posting window as you've probably seen. Just type and click and you too can pepper your postings with lots of :argue:-avoiding eye candy!:-D

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes I hope all is settled now but those emoticon thingys..........

Do not think I can get used to them so will just have to rely on my Yorkshire sensitivity to get it right

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    1990 Galant GTi 4WD

Didnt want to sound accusing Chris; I don't think anyone actually was upset, I could just see where it may have headed is all

As for the car, if you can find a 6G VR4 jump on it with both feet & all hands [and other appendages] if it's what you want and you can stomach the running costs [my non-turbo still runs somewhere close to 25mpg if I'm good !] dont worry about the info - that's why we're all here afterall !

AS for me, I intend to tune up the handling of my GTi for now, concentrating on not needing power [by not needing to slow down for corners !] until I get to a stage where I can manage the GTi/Evo III engine swap and show these guys how the other half roll :rolleyes5

Japmetal@clubvr4.com
    "It's not a Ford - The doors FIT !"

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Japmetal
    ........until I get to a stage where I can manage the GTi/Evo III engine swap and show these guys how the other half roll :rolleyes5
    But by then, you'll probably be also showing us how well the other half rusts!!! :$ :-D

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    1990 Galant GTi 4WD

And maybe you'll have got your finger out your a£$e and got a VR4 instead of "Compromising"

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Thanks Japmetal - not upset by your comments but with the capitals appearing I think emotions were getting aroused already but glad we have a peaceful and contented forum now

Info always appreciated and I cannot imagine running costs of 91 VR-4 being more than my 99 car

I have found both Gti and turbo VR-4 of the 91-92 era so choice available, if 99 car sold so...Kieran, car ready and waiting for you or any other interested soul reading this

Before 99 car is sold it looks like I may manage one more visit to Nurburgring Nordschleife - group will include hopefully MR2 turbos, Mazda RX7 turbo, an Evo 7 and Nissan 350Z from Italy plus my VR-4

Should be going Fri 13 Aug 0700 Dover ferry and returning either Mon 16 or Tue 17 Aug prob 1400 or 1515 ferry

More likely to be Tue 17 Aug return

Anyone want a ride out to the Ring as passenger with me or bring your car

If passenger you pay your hotel, food and drink - no other costs - journey is more pleasant with a passenger although we travel as a group usually

Italian cars will be joining us from Sicily and Genoa

Hopefully ferry journies will coincide/meet at Dover or we may meet en route in France or Belgium

So, anyone interested? - what about you Japmetal?
    Last edited by chris g; 26-07-2004 at 08:54 PM.

Name
    Mohammed
    Last Online
    07-04-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom

regarding running cost of 91 vr4

i only got 120 miles for 38 quid (hope that helps) :rolleyes:
    NO More VR4 for me, well ive still got the 6G

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    1990 Galant GTi 4WD

Going on what Mo ahs just said, my experiences with my own car, and a few of my mates with GTi-Rs & other turbo-nutters I reckon you should expect to pay about the same to run a 6G as to run a later model [although I imagine insurance may be cheaper, I wouldnt honestly know !]

The area you'll really save is if you do your services yourself, since most of this is easy stuff & for a car of it's age [at least 12 years old] I dont think people will look so much for full dealer history as how the car actually looks/feels/sounds

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi zedy1

Thanks for that - about fuel consumption I assume unlesss that was 38 quids worth of food consumed for every 120 mls driving - sounds like a calorie consuming car - for the driver at least

But I think my car was same at Ring - similar fuel guzzling

And Japmetal - if running costs are same then I may not get to save much money - perhaps on ins partic if I go 3rdpf&t

As for saving on servicing costs - no way, as I am to car maintenance what Douglas Bader was to football - f'in useless

And anyway I work to keep a mechanic employed and his family well fed and run his car so no savings there!

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    19-04-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Audi A4 Tdi

i found this review Chris,and thought you may been interested..

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/u...ex.cfm/id/2075

E39 BMW SPORT

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Thanks scottish ian - good info about usa views on performance and handling and details of power output etc

I see the usa got the turbo version and that engine - 4G63 - came from the Eclipse - a model that I know little of in UK - did it ever come to UK - if so did it have turbo in UK - was it another bland looking mitsubishi model - we do not seem to have a history of turbo petrol models in UK

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

And maybe you'll have got your finger out your a£$e and got a VR4 instead of "Compromising"
    PMSL

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    1990 Galant GTi 4WD

The 4G63 engien didn't 'come' from the Eclipse; it had been in use for a few years in various older models before the Galant, but had a revamp [complete with all-new 16V twim-cam head] for the then flagship Galant VR4, although they did use it in other models too.

The Eclipse is a USA-only model [although some LHD imports can be found in this and other countries] and is far from bland - think two-seater coupe, similar to the FTO but lower & curvier. There was even a 2G one in The Fast and The Furious [the neon green coupe with blue & white decals that gets blown up early on !] and a brand-nwe 3G on in Too Fast Too Furious [Purple with funny grid 'spiderweb' pattern on it !]

The 4G63T as fitted to the Eclipse was still pretty beefy [around 200Bhp] but did not have the benefit of the Ralliart tuning applied to the VR4 and [later on] Evolution spec engines

I actually know of someone who blew up their Evo 2 engine, and had an Eclipse engine shipped in & rebuilt since this was cheaper than actually buying a 'genuine' Evolutoin engine :rolleyes5

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

I bow to your superior knowledge

I was not speaking from personal knowledge, I was repeating what was on a US website for a review of Mitsubishi cars and specifically the VR-4

Reminder for future - if repeating info then mention the source

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    1990 Galant GTi 4WD

Don't worry, I'm just happy to be a source of useful information for once - I can't help much with the 6A13TT, but I know's my Sh£% when it comes to the 4G63

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

Don't worry, I'm just happy to be a source of useful information for once - I can't help much with the 6A13TT, but I know's my Sh£% when it comes to the 4G63
    Dan, there is an EVO engine on EBAY at the moment......

Last Online
    10-05-2006
    Country
    United States
    Car
    91GVR4 & JDM95GVR4

These cars aare incredible. i have had two of them and they have tons of pottential. mine runs a 13.1 1/4 mi. not as reliable but they are deffinant sleppers and will turn heads for those who know what they are.
    91 Galant VR-4 13.1@108mph
    95 JDM Galant VR-4 stock, but its RHD in US

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

I realised they were fast with other posts here and other websites about ET at strips and activities of owners in USA/Oz

What is surprising is your comment about reliability

What sort of things are going wrong?

Last Online
    06-10-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnumvr4

Quote Originally Posted by chris

I see the usa got the turbo version and that engine - 4G63 - came from the Eclipse - a model that I know little of in UK - did it ever come to UK - if so did it have turbo in UK - was it another bland looking mitsubishi model - we do not seem to have a history of turbo petrol models in UK
    If you have Need for Speed Underground there is a Mitsi Eclipse available in that. Very tasty looking motor imo.

Nick :-b

Last Online
    03-01-2005
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.0 gti

galant gti

i own a 1988 gti and have found tuning parts hard to get hold of so have had to resort to designing my own.mine pulls like a train though just with a filter and backbox with 172.5lbft of torque which is nearly 50 up on standard.if anyone knows where i can get poly bushes for it let me know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast