Thread: Front lower suspension arms

Last Online
    12-03-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    2000GLS Estate

Front lower suspension arms

Failed the MOT on front lower suspension arms, straight ones, what a surprise, garage has replaced them and issued me with a new mot, car now pulls to the left, jumps about when you hit a little bump with either wheel, doesn`t self centralise and if you go to about 3/4 left lock and let go the wheel, it goes round in lovely circles, took it straight back, they say, "Ohhh, it just needs to wear in", I said "B*llocks".
    They don`t want to know about it, as far as they`re concerned it`s o/k, I know how my car drives and this aint it
    Took it to another mot station today, explained what had gone on, and the checked it for me, they showed me that the ball joints were fine, but the bushings at the other end of the arms seemed to be very soft, giving the arms a lot of sideways movement, they removed both arms and examined them but can`t really put their finger on the cause of the problem.
    Both arms seem to be exactly the same shape, although one has a blind tapped hole in the top halfway along its top side
    They tried putting the arms on the opposite sides but this made no difference
    Phoned my local Mitsi dealer to ask how you identify a right from a left, they didn`t know and they had none in stock to look at

Where do I go from here ??????

Would welcome any suggestions
    Many thanks
    Danny
    thought to be the only 2000 model facelift GLS estate in Roanne Red Candy with full factory tints, moon roof, tiptronic box and cold air induction kit in Norfolk.......unless you know different?

Name
    Gib
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

My vr4 had those symptoms and an horrible creaking noise BEFORE the arms were replaced. Only dropped it off tonight so I wont know what its like once they have been replaced tomorow morning. Did the garage use aftermarket arms? Seem to be quite a few horror stories about them.

When I picked up my genuine mitsi ones from mr mann, the left one had a big L on them. Might worth sending him a pm to see if he knows the difference as he might still have another pair. I should be going to the garage tomorrow to watch them fit the arms, so I can try an get some pics of them before they are fitted if that helps?

Last Online
    12-03-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    2000GLS Estate

gonna be aftermarket ones, he got them, any more info and pics would be great
    thanks

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

you need to get the car fully aligned after this, plus i would suggest that your current tyre setup doesnt match? ie different makes possibly?
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    brendan
    Last Online
    11-09-2015
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 2.5 twin

wonder have they put in two left hand side arms????
    still the fastes irish reg VR4 on the nurburgring,april 2010.

Last Online
    12-03-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    2000GLS Estate

Thought about that one, but they are different, one has a blind tapped hole in the top??? about half way along its top, no idea what it`s for, and the other is plain, the mot station I went to yesterday is getting one in today to compare it with mine, went to first mot station to try and get the old ones back, but they have scrapped them.
    I have the factory manual on disc, but it only shows one side in pdf, so it`s a fairly basic drawing, and no details or dimensions
    comparing the two, I think they may be two of the same, as there is a slight difference, that being a very slight dogleg on the knuckle end, and they both go the same way, don`t seem right to me!!!

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I'd get an alignment done on the car as playing around with suspension parts like that can take the car out of whack.

The other option is that they have indeed used two of the same side and that would cause a whole raft of issues!
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

the arms are should be different,
    (they look very similar but towards the end one bends slightly to the left and the other to the right)
    mirror images of each other.

sorry i cant tell you about any markings as i don't have both,
    i have a drivers side only out of the car. ill have a look at it in the morning if you haven't got a definite answer yet

Name
    Gib
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

My arms were swapped this morning, kept the old pair and there was play in the left one so I know which one is which. Will take some shots after lunch and get them up here asap

Name
    Gib
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

Took some pics, the left arm is the one on the top, right arm is the one on the bottom. I cant tell the difference between them both, the left one did have a big L on it though.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...6/DSCF3397.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...6/DSCF3398.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...6/DSCF3399.jpg

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

How to tell the difference between left & right

If you look down on them from above (see gib's 2nd photo) you will see that there is a difference in the angle at which the casting around one of the bushes slopes. One slopes left and one slopes right. If, holding both straight arms with the ball joint at the same end, the angle of the side of the casting slopes the same way then you've got two lefts or two rights. I can't remember which is L and which is R but you'll be able to determine if you have two different (which they need to be) arms.
    Here's a doodle while I'm up early, waiting to go and collect my car from Eurospec!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by apeman69; 20-02-2010 at 05:21 AM. Reason: it didn't make much sense originally

Last Online
    12-03-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    2000GLS Estate

Many thanks for taking the time to give me so much help guys, really appreciated, will let you all know the outcome, once again, "Thanks very much", this is such a good club well worth the money, and a really good bunch :-)

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by dannyh
    Many thanks for taking the time to give me so much help guys, really appreciated, will let you all know the outcome, once again, "Thanks very much", this is such a good club well worth the money, and a really good bunch :-)
    Hear, hear.

Hope it is a relatively easy fix.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I know this an old thread, but thought I would post up my recent findings.

I have just replaced my lower straight suspension arms and i only noticed the one with an L on it and assumed it meant left for the passenger side of the car, the other one did not have an L on it. The one I took off the passenger side had an L on it which is why I fitted it to that side, I was not sure his is what it meant, but I hought I would go with what the mitsi mechanic did as I new this car had had the recall work done on it.
    I looked at the new arms for ages before fitting them to see if here was a difference but i cuold not see one.
    I should have checked on here first I suppose.
    But it looks like I got it right.
    It was a 50/50 choice at the end ofthe day. So all is good.

Bye for Now!