Carl
    Last Online
    23-12-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 PFL Galant

Air Con.

Right, I've searched and gathered a little information that might help. First of what happens is I can turn a/c on (frost button right?) and there is no change in air temp from vents at lowest setting.

Info gathering:
    When a/c is engaged you can here the compressor clutch make a clunking noise, so that would suggest electrics and gas are OK. Engine revs increase and front radiator fan winds up as well. Checked fuses - they're OK.

However I read somewhere about the electrics on the dash activating motors to select the appropriate setting, so it may be possible that one of these is tired.

Anyway just seeing if anyone else has ideas while I go out and remove glovebox to get to these things (apparently where they are!)

Thanks all,
    Carl.

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

in all honesty i hardly ever used the a/c in it so i dont know how cold it should be.

if you look in the boot on the left hand side i think i may have acutally left the actuator that i replaced in the cubbie hole.

in all honestey i could poss need a regas. it probabably has never been done in its whole life! but as i say i hardly used it...thats what the sunroof and windows are for!

Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    23-12-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 PFL Galant

Bwahahaha. Yeah have to say the same thing. I'm in a tinkering sort of mood

I'm not trying to rat on your (ex) car! promise I love it. I'm an engineer so I have an almost insatiable curiosity. And thanks to me aquiring the car off you I seem to have a fount of knowledge too. Sucker

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

lol i owned it for 4 years and did 99% of the work on it myself...i know the thing inside out!

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I'd rule out the regas first. The aircon place will be able to tell you how much refrigerant is in the aircon system (should be around 750g, IIRC) as well as how much oil is in it too (a healthy amount is about 7g, I think). The oil is essential to keep the pump lubricated and to stop all the rubbers in the aircon system from perishing. This is also one of the reasons why you should run the aircon regularly (like a minimum of 15 mins a month). Even if the aircon is working, it's still worth, IMO, getting the contents checked. What's the price for that in NZ - about $80-100?
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Johnathon
    Last Online
    02-08-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 Galant24 V

have you tried pressing in the auto button? lol

Name
    Carl
    Last Online
    23-12-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 PFL Galant

Lol, so far the only way I've figured out how to turn the damn thing back on after you hit the off button is to go for auto

I'll get it looked at within a week or 2 me thinks. I have to wait to get paid first, I seem to have sunk it all into a car

Name
    Johnathon
    Last Online
    02-08-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 Galant24 V

if its on 17 and auto and its not cold...

Name
    Sean
    Last Online
    17-03-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2000 Legnum GDi

Go to somewhere like CoolCar. I had to have mine regassed, and they were awesome. They checked the gas levels and gave the system a visual inspection for free, then I paid $250 ( if i recall correctly) for a regass with an additive so they could see any leaks, and a full service of the system (which included a new filter). If there were leaks, then I could get another regass for free within 6 months.

Before this, I went to some other place (cant recall where), and they charged me $50 just to look at it, and told me that the compressor was leaking oil, so the whole system would be screwed. CoolCar subsequently told me that the oil on the compressor was just a bit of spilled engine oil.

So yeah, CoolCar is the way to go, in my opinion.

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

i agree cool car are good...dont know if they are in christchurch aswell tho....

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    25-11-2012
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    99Legnum 2.4GDI

Quote Originally Posted by Johny
    if its on 17 and auto and its not cold...
    Pretty sure if you turn it down to 17.0 it goes into manual mode automatically. That is, you cannot have it on auto if it is set to 17. Just turn it all the way down to 17, which should turn auto off and turn on recirculation. If cold air doesn't come out then maybe it needs regassing. And turning the fan speed up will get it going after you press the off button.

EDIT: I can never get the auto mode to work properly in mine anyway... It always does stupid things. And WHY would you want the aircon on when you were trying to heat??? /rant

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjames.powell
    And WHY would you want the aircon on when you were trying to heat??? /rant
    The air conditioning system does just that - conditions the air. By removing moisture and thus reducing misting up inside the car. Especially good when it's been raining, and you have a few people in the car who have got a bit damp!

Name
    Johnathon
    Last Online
    02-08-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 Galant24 V

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjames.powell
    Pretty sure if you turn it down to 17.0 it goes into manual mode automatically. That is, you cannot have it on auto if it is set to 17. Just turn it all the way down to 17, which should turn auto off and turn on recirculation. If cold air doesn't come out then maybe it needs regassing. And turning the fan speed up will get it going after you press the off button.

EDIT: I can never get the auto mode to work properly in mine anyway... It always does stupid things. And WHY would you want the aircon on when you were trying to heat??? /rant
    17 and auto puts it on recirc, aircon, max fan at least thats what its done in my car vr4s and evos ive driven

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio
    The air conditioning system does just that - conditions the air. By removing moisture and thus reducing misting up inside the car. Especially good when it's been raining, and you have a few people in the car who have got a bit damp!

Finally someone that realises the same thing. I hate being in a steamed up car. I need to see out the windows properly!

The air con provides conditioned air, so if you set it to 26 and turn AC on, then you will get conditioned 26 degree air (maybe a little colder to be honest), but that will clear up the condensation built up inside the car. People just tend to put the heater on max which actually doesnt help until the ambient interior temp goes up significantly.
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)