This is mainly a brain dump thread, just putting out some thoughts I'd had recently, everything that follows is my perception on the situation and may not be factual.

The bits I'm not 100% sure on will be in italic. Take it with a pinch of salt people

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

There's one thing thats been puzzling me for a while and thats how PFL Auto VR-4s converted to manual tend to have the TCL spaz out and cut power to the engine when least desired.

Case and point of this is me building the TCL switcher for Atik because he's spun out on roundabouts due to this.

The TCL is designed to reduce power being applied to the wheels when it thinks the wheels are slipping, it does this by pulling back on the throttle by means of a vacuum when it detects slippage. It determines slippage by checking each individual wheel speed and comparing it against the accelerometer, the vehicle speed sensor on the gearbox and what the auto box is currently doing.

The reason for the TCL spazzing out in a manual conversion is there is no feedback from the (missing) autobox as the car is tricked into thinking the auto gearbox is in neutral.

Feedback that can be determined from the auto box is what gear its currently in and what the torque converter is up to.

My thoughts are thus, would we be able to keep TCL in converted cars if we perform one or all of the following;

1. Wire up a series of switches in the manual gearbox shift gate to feed back what gear the car is currently in (and as such, get a nice readout on auto-dashboards what gear the car is presently in)
  2. Wire up a switch to the clutch to provide some level of feedback to what the torque converter may be up to

Also, when doing a auto to manual conversion, if you replace the auto gearbox ECU with a manual gearbox ECU at the same time, do you still have problems with TCL?