Andy
    Last Online
    19-04-2011
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 est.

No more tappet rattle

Hi, haven't posted for a while, but I finally managed to fix the dreaded tappet rattle on our '02 plate V6 Sport. After almost 2 years of racket, a simple change of grade and type of oil has rendered it silent. May not work for everyone, but we used Castrol Edge 0-40 fully synth, and it's a different car. Interestingly, it's also just passed the M.O.T. emissions test with a decat pipe fitted, which has made life easier....I still have to put the cat back on for the Evo, so it's one less thing.

Seems that the grade of oil has to begin with 0, and be fully synth on this ( our 2nd V6 ), whereas our previous W plate V6 is still going strong ( and silently ) as a taxi on 10-40 and has 130,000 miles on it now, without ever having had an engine related problem. Seems like the earlier ones may have the better, or at least, less fussy engines.

Hope this works for others, I know that people have been trying all sorts of things for years to resolve this,

Cheers, Andy.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

I use the same oil in my car, as well as using an engine flush additive when doing the oil change and I get similar results. The tapping does come back after a while though, and I found I was changing the oil every 3 months or so. But I did tend to rag the car so it was probably for the best.

Name
    ken
    Last Online
    04-08-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnum vr4

i was told by mitsu_teck to replace my oil for a thicker oil as this will solve the problem if not he said it could just be one or two tappets that need sorting

Name
    Richie
    Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '97 legnum MT

my GLS and GDI both suffered from this problem although the GDI wasnt quite as bad. the V6 is the quietest car i have ever driven. even from cold the tappets dont make a sound. i think that may be part of the reason i am reluctant to floor it in the V6.
    its quite ironic that as soon as i get a proper galant i want to enjoy driving it instead of enjoying its performance
    1998 2.0 GLS>1999 2.4 GDI>2001 2.5 sport>1997 VR4 + 2000 2.5 sport
    1997 legnum (manual)
    CUSCO rear strut brace
    BILSTEIN springs on uprated shocks
    3" S/S downpipes and exhaust
    induction kit
    EVO V RS transfer box
    EVO VIII brembos
    HEL brake lines
    V6 sport interior
    laser cut engine cover
    GRP EVO style bonnet
    18" inovite redlines
    HKS SSQV
    2003 Mazda 6 2.0 TS estate

Name
    Doug
    Last Online
    03-10-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2.5 V6 Estate
    My Garage
    Visit

I use Amsoil 0W-30, and the engine is a lot smoother and the tappet noise is a lot less.
    "Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan." - Warren Zevon (RIP)

Last Online
    12-08-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport Est.

Hi,
    I stuck some Forte Tappet stuff in with my last oil change. 180,000 on the clock now and it's never been as quiet
    Cheers,
    Gavin

Name
    Karl
    Last Online
    14-10-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mits VR4 Super
    My Garage
    Visit

i had a mazda 626 a few years ago which had a tappet issue when i bought it ana got a price drop can't remember how much now but any way got it home and did an oil change i put magnatec in it and instantly lost the tappet noise and never did it return had the car for over a year too
    so was wondering how magnatec fully synthetic 5w 40 would compair to amsoil ?
    Mitsubushi Legnum Super VR4 # 59/283

Remapped ECU
    Blitz dual selenoid Electonic Boost Controller
    600X300X76 FMIC
    Magnecor KV85 competition HT Leads
    NGK Iridium spark plugs
    Custom made hard pipes
    S-ayc diff
    Selby ajustable sway bars
    Poly utherain bushes
    Sard 265lph fuel pump
    Sard fuel pressure regulator
    Daiyama adjustable coilovers
    236mm 13 row transmisson oil cooler
    Custom made rear strut-brace
    plx wideband sensor & gauge
    Evo VI 3" Decat
    Enkei Evo VIII alloys
    Evo VIIII brembro calipers & discs all round
    Zenon HID headlights inc high beam and fog lights
    Carputer
    2x genesis amp's
    Rainbow and focal door speakers
    AMSoil fluids
    K&N panel filter
    Opie oils air freshener

Last Online
    24-05-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 Galant GLS

Ive used that Forte top end treatment before and it does work, it quietened my last Mazda 323 and that made a hell of a racket beforehand

And i'm usually quite sceptical with those so called 'treatments'

Name
    Karl
    Last Online
    14-10-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mits VR4 Super
    My Garage
    Visit

sorry if i've

Last Online
    12-08-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport Est.

Hi,
    I'd tried some other stuff the service before and it lasted for a few weeks then the rattle returned
    Cheers,
    Gavin

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

i'v just tried Castrol Edge 0-40 fully synth a few months ago seems ok so far
    "Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"................ (Gilles Villeneuve)

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

I'm currently using 0-40, I think it's Mobile1 but it maybe Castrol, cant remember and I'm at work.......

However my experience is the same, it does completely stop the tappet noise for quite some time. I advised a fellow member to try the same spec oil but Opie Oils advised against it. They stated that in order to get that spreed of numbers they have had to introduce a lot of chemicals (VI's) to achieve it. Unfortunately these chemicals break down and reduce the oil to a lesser grade, eventually rendering the oil useless.........

I explained that I change my engine oil a lot sooner than specified, in the last 6000 mile I have changed the oil three times......... Opie Oils did say that should prevent damage and I should be ok.

At the next oil change I will revert back to a 5-30, 0-30 formula but I will give the engine a thorough flush to ensure that it's as clean as possible hopefully helping with the dreaded rattle.........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    06-12-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galaxy
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by karl r taylor
    i had a mazda 626 a few years ago which had a tappet issue when i bought it ana got a price drop can't remember how much now but any way got it home and did an oil change i put magnatec in it and instantly lost the tappet noise and never did it return had the car for over a year too
    so was wondering how magnatec fully synthetic 5w 40 would compair to amsoil ?
    Magnatec is not a full synthetic. Castrol are capable of making good oil but this is not it. I know that the advertising claims things like it has special molecules that attach to metal etc but so do all the others and testing shows Castol to be the worst is this repect.....oh the power of advertising!
    If you have a problem with getting Amsoil just contact me on 07949 944523 email don@performanceoilsltd.co.uk or web at http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/
    AMSOIL 'The First in Synthetics'

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    06-12-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galaxy
    My Garage
    Visit

There has been alot o cheap 0w-40 dumped on the UK market at one time getting down to perhaps under £25 per 5L at Cosco. It just didn't sell well in Europe as many wouldn't offer it for car use, and others wouldn't buy it. It is a weak oil that should be used in engines requiring quick starts and hard use from the off yet not doing high milage as the oil will break down. Such uses are ATV,s go carts and the like. We do a fine 0w-40 but its not for cars nor would I sell it as such. Some companies have no such quarms.
    If you need a 40 weight oil then 10w-40 is good and better than 5w-40 in these applications. But a 0w-30 or 10w-30 is better if you can without tappet rattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_2008
    I'm currently using 0-40, I think it's Mobile1 but it maybe Castrol, cant remember and I'm at work.......

However my experience is the same, it does completely stop the tappet noise for quite some time. I advised a fellow member to try the same spec oil but Opie Oils advised against it. They stated that in order to get that spreed of numbers they have had to introduce a lot of chemicals (VI's) to achieve it. Unfortunately these chemicals break down and reduce the oil to a lesser grade, eventually rendering the oil useless.........

I explained that I change my engine oil a lot sooner than specified, in the last 6000 mile I have changed the oil three times......... Opie Oils did say that should prevent damage and I should be ok.

At the next oil change I will revert back to a 5-30, 0-30 formula but I will give the engine a thorough flush to ensure that it's as clean as possible hopefully helping with the dreaded rattle.........

Last Online
    27-08-2010
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    Galant 2.5v6 sport

i get the tappet rattle guys its doing my head in some times its there and some times its not its always there when the cars cold but normally goes when its hot i used a treatment last time i serviced about 3k ago and it went for a while but now its back i am using 10w 40 oil what is the best thing to do ? thanks jay jay

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    06-12-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galaxy
    My Garage
    Visit

you just may have extra restriction in the little bores feeding the tappets caused by crap and sludge's from broken down cheap oil. Try an engine flush and change to Amsoil SSO 0w-30. this should do the business on starting.
    Better still join the club , cost £20 (and the very best £20 you will ever spend in VR4 ownership) which will allow you a discount on Amsoil products saving you that very £20 and more.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by amsoil
    you just may have extra restriction in the little bores feeding the tappets caused by crap and sludge's from broken down cheap oil. Try an engine flush and change to Amsoil SSO 0w-30. this should do the business on starting.
    Better still join the club , cost £20 (and the very best £20 you will ever spend in VR4 ownership) which will allow you a discount on Amsoil products saving you that very £20 and more.
    I Echo what Don says here..

Make sure the engine is as clean as can possibly be before putting in any oil ...

I'm majorly finnicky when it comes to changing my oil, but when your putting quality oil that costs hard earned money Why contaminate it straight away with the crap and sludge thats left in your engine after JUST dumping out the old..

Clean the crap out and then you should see an end to the Tappety rattle..

Wodj

Last Online
    27-08-2010
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    Galant 2.5v6 sport

i flushed it before and used engine treatment it went for a while but its coming back like im going to change my plugs when i get paid so while the inlet manifold is off is there any thing i can do to stop the tapping by taking the rocker cover's off ?

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Dependant how long you have got ?
    You can take out all the tappets and give them a good ole clean But their best soaked and cleaned over a few days minimum..

Last Online
    11-08-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2.5 V6 24V Sport

I had an old cavalier (it was free ok!) that used to tap so loud everyone knew i was coming and i just couldn't wait to get rid of it. I finally got a galant after wanting one for ages. It was so quiet i had to look at the rev counter to she if she was actually running. Loved it. But.....within 4 months it was doing the same. I couldn't believe it. I put in for an early service at mitsi and came back quiet as a mouse. After another 3-4 months went by the tapping slowly came back. Initially just at start up and then within a couple of weeks she was tapping like mad from start up to end of journey. Changed the oil and everything reset. Quiet as a mouse again. So as soon as she starts tapping at start up i change the oil and filter along with some tappet treatment and everything is hunky dory. This has been going on for nearly 6 yrs now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast