Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Exclamation VR4 recall info, IMPORTANT!

Hi Guys,
    I discovered this about a week ago and have since seen it on this forum in the New Zealand section.
    This recall concerns some Galant / Legnum VR4's Imported from Japan this affects cars in the UK, I know because My car is affected and will be recalled.

I will give you the important info first then tell you of what I have found out from Mitsubishi UK.

Go to WWW. Mitsubishi-motors. co.nz, or find this, the official mitsubishi motors site for New Zealand.

On this site at the bottom left of the home page is the option "recalls", click on this and follow the instructions, click on Galant / Legnum VR4 and you can put your chassis number into the window and you will be told if your car is affected.

Basically, I stumbled across this while looking for Mitsubishi info on the web, I put in my chassis number and bingo (or not) the screen told me "You have one of 343 cars affected please contact your mitsubishi dealer, DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR UNTIL IT HAS BEEN CHECKED.

I called My local Dealer who checked and said they knew nothing about it, I calles the colt motor company UK Cirencester, (MMUK) and got customer service dept, a bloke called James, who checked and said that there was no info on this recall for the UK.

I talked him through the above info and he checked on line while I was on the phone, and sais Yes your car is affected, I don't know why we have not been made aware of this, I said that I would like my car checked, and he said that he would arrange it with my local dealer.

I found out that the problem is a potential brake failure, more of this info is getting out in the New Zealand threads, I went to the dealers a guy drove the car and said it was alright to him, but also added that he didn't know what he was looking for as they usually get info from Mitsubishi Motors UK re recalls.

The upshot is that I have made them aware and told them that my safety is now there responsibility, which they have acknowledged, they have said that they are still trying to find out more details from MMJapan and that they will phone me within a fortnight and get my car in to be sorted, at no charge to me.

To me the car seems fine, but you don't know when or where something might happen.

Again for more info on this check your chassis number on the website mentioned above and read the info regarding the recall in the New Zealand section, I'm not trying to scaremonger, but you should all be aware and check. Some of the info on the New Zealand threads is V interesting, sorry I did not mention this last week, but I thought you guys were aware and I had missed it somehow.
    Mitsubishi Motors UK headquarters told me that the fix would not cost me anything, parts and labour for this fix is their responsibility.

My car is a 1998 Legnum VR4 with ASC, (automatic stability control), which was imported from Japan by the Colt Motor .Company Cirencester UK
    cheers Louis
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Thanks for the info mate, but the Club is fully aware of this and a few other recalls - they are all individually listed in the Members Area - another good reason to join up I would say

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

OK, Cool,
    Is anyone else in the UK affected by this recall or am I the only one?, as it would be good to combine info with anyone else in the same position as me, cheers Louis

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

No there are others affected. I am waiting for Mitsy UK to confirm updates on all the recalls on VR4s and so are many others, but it takes a few weeks.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    07-12-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

I find this issue quite interesting.

I have checked my car and it is also recalled for this fault.

A few weeks ago I had reason to brake VERY hard en route to visit Rally205. A dumb blonde in a big BMW X5 decided to go from absolute left to absolute right lane on a three lane roundabout cutting me up in the process. I had to brake and turn sharp right at the same time to avoid her, and I even imperceptably 'felt' my font bumper brush some part of the rear of her vehicle.

What surprised me, and I mentioned it to Rally205 later, was that I didn't feel the ABS cutting in ..... and it was one of those times when you KNOW it should have cut in as my tyres squeeled under the severe braking.

It now crosses my mind that this *could* be related to the issue here with the ASC not 'telling' the ABS to operate.
    RIP: Richard (Physician)

Bog standard silver VR4 except a decat pipe and quad exhaust outlets.

Last Online
    05-04-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR4, FTO

Recall

Worryingly I have found my legnum chassis no. listed under the front arm recall. And am about to leave for in laws Down South as I write. I shall have to ring local dealer to find out about recall fix.
    VB

Last Online
    26-10-2007
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ex-VR4, S60, and RX7

I'm on the list to and have spoken a number of times to Mitsu UK with no luck, they say they have no info on the recall yet but are 'looking into it' :rolleyes:

Mike.

Last Online
    22-12-2013
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ex Legnum now Honda

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    I'm on the list to and have spoken a number of times to Mitsu UK with no luck, they say they have no info on the recall yet but are 'looking into it' :rolleyes:

Mike.
    Oddly enough Pete (Spirit) got the same info from his local mitsy dealer, but strangely his car is booked in for the work next wednesday...makes you wonder if they really DO have a clue about what the hell is going on. I myself have mailed mitsy uk customer relations six times now with no luck, indeed they have even stopped replying to my mails.....bunch of portugese handpump operators....

Last Online
    22-12-2013
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ex Legnum now Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Physician

What surprised me, and I mentioned it to Rally205 later, was that I didn't feel the ABS cutting in ..... and it was one of those times when you KNOW it should have cut in as my tyres squeeled under the severe braking.

It now crosses my mind that this *could* be related to the issue here with the ASC not 'telling' the ABS to operate.

ASC... ? Active Stability Control...... ozey: If this is the case Richard, then my ABS is not working correctly either, tried it out a few days ago on a very wet empty straight road, gripped like dried s*ot on an old army blanket at first, no sliding/skidding took place, I felt one thump through the brake pedal and that was it, maybe I was going too slow, must try tripple figure braking in the wet next time instead of double figure..... :rolleyes5 maybe my tires are very grippy, I don't know, all I know is I didn't get the reaction I am used to with ABS in other cars I have owned....

Last Online
    16-07-2010
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    legnum vr4 type-s

spoke to matt at mitsy uk cust services yesterday (01285 647774), they now have a list of cars needing recall from mitsy japan. Turns out my car is due a recall, despite them swearing blind 3 weeks ago it wasn't.
    97 legnum vr4 type s

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    07-12-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Polabear
    ASC... ? Active Stability Control...... ozey: If this is the case Richard, then my ABS is not working correctly either, all I know is I didn't get the reaction I am used to with ABS in other cars I have owned....
    Yes Pola, I had mentioned to someone a while back that I had never felt the 'pumping' sensation on my VR4 and they said that it rarely kicks in on the VR4. Like you ..... it's not my experience from other cars I've driven and I notice that in the Owners Handbook it even states that you may feel the ABS 'pumping' sensation when it operates. Go figure .......

Name
    Brian
    Last Online
    24-10-2012
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, S60R, GT-R

I suspect grippy tyres and AWD make ABS almost redundant. Wait until there's a covering of snow on the road and try it then ...

Brian
    S60R | GT-R

artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Last Online
    22-12-2013
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ex Legnum now Honda

Quote Originally Posted by H.7
    I suspect grippy tyres and AWD make ABS almost redundant. Wait until there's a covering of snow on the road and try it then ...

Brian
    Coming from the northeast originally Brian I know exactly what your saying..... loadsa f. but down here in Devon snow is almost unheard of, which I must admit I do kinda miss sometimes......

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Being a Polabear, a lack of snow is sure to induce home-sickness!

The ABS does feel like normal ABS when it cuts in. Find an empty road with nothing behind you and experiment! There is plenty of grip for most situations - I only felt it in the snow under normal (and enthusiastic!) driving.

Last Online
    22-12-2013
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ex Legnum now Honda

Result

After a call to mitsy customer services today, and firmly advising the young lady on the other end, after she argued :argue: that no such list existed, that there was indeed a list of chassis numbers regarding recalls on imports, she toddled off to check,....... :rolleyes5 2 minutes later she was back to say thet there was indeed such a list , and she was sorry that she had no knowledge of it :$ , was advised to to take it along to my local cash grab and run dealer and get it booked in, also should they argue the fact get them to call either Nadine in customer services or Debbie in warranty...... :thumb1: :wiggle: :boing3:

Last Online
    26-10-2007
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ex-VR4, S60, and RX7

Finally - mine is now recognised for a recall!! Spoke to Nadine in customer services.. but its the lower ball joint - which I've already replaced at my expense and she didn't want to know about a brake recall - "they would have searched for any outstanding recall on your vehicle!, OK Sir, thank you bye, click!" (Well almost like that!)

Anyone in the UK had a recall for the brake issue yet??

Mike.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    07-12-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Polabear
    After a call to mitsy customer services today, and firmly advising the young lady on the other end, after she argued :argue: that no such list existed, that there was indeed a list of chassis numbers regarding recalls on imports, she toddled off to check,....... :rolleyes5 2 minutes later she was back to say thet there was indeed such a list , and she was sorry that she had no knowledge of it :$ , was advised to to take it along to my local cash grab and run dealer and get it booked in, also should they argue the fact get them to call either Nadine in customer services or Debbie in warranty...... :thumb1: :wiggle: :boing3:
    I have already visited my Mitsi dealer and they knew nothing about the brake recall. They then did a search on their computer and said 'no, no recalls for brakes'.

I then produced a print-out of that NZ site which said mine was one of 343 or some such figure recalled for potential brake failure.

They got onto the phone to Mitsi HQ in Cirencester (I think) and they told my Mitsi dealer to fill in a claim form of some sort together with my name and address. I was advised that Mitsi HQ would then contact me in due course.

Name
    Nige
    Last Online
    29-02-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum VR4

This whole situation is laughable, if it wasn't so serious. Thank goodness for this forum.

My car is on all the forum-posted lists for the ball joint recall -

So I called Mitsy UK, reply - 'you'll have to contact your local dealer, they'll tell you if your car has any outstanding recalls - we don't keep that informatuion here"

Called local dealer - "No Sir, your chassis number comes up on the computer as not having any outstanding recalls"

Me- "so what about the lower ball joint recall that DOES affect my car"
    Dealer - "well the computer says ' No', the inspection must have been done before you bought the car, Sir"
    Me- "No, I've had the car since before the date of the recall notice and I know the inspection hasn't been done."
    Dealer - " Well, bring the car in if you're worried and we'll check it out for you"
    Me- "OK, but won't that cost me money?"
    Dealer - "No Sir, I can put that down to a free inspection"
    Me- " So what if the ball joints need replacing?"
    Dealer - " Well, you would be charged for the work if they needed changing, but we advise you get them checked if you're concerned"

Called Mitsy UK again today - (thanks for the info in this thread) " What is your chassis number Sir, we'll check our records and get Matt or Nadine to call you back"

No call received today.

The saga continues.
    '96 Legnum VR4 with proper 5sp Manual gearbox

Last Online
    26-10-2007
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ex-VR4, S60, and RX7

I agree - laughable!! But oh so irritating!!

Can I suggest we get a list of members cars that are effected and approach Mitsu-UK as a group. Strength in numbers...

I don't mind organising this if someone can forward me an email address for Customer Services or/and the warranty department. It'd also be in their best interest to deal with us all rather than a number of calls from owners.

I know Pete is still waiting on info back from them - maybe you can update us?

Anyway, mines booked in for the ball joint inspection (even though they've been replaced! GRR!!) next Thursday so I'll investigate further then... :rolleyes:

Mike.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    I know Pete is still waiting on info back from them - maybe you can update us?
    Did post in another thread mate that we got a call a couple of days ago from our local dealer to book it in for the balljoint inspection - again though it was laughable as the guy who phoned was the one actually doing the inspections and he did not know what a VR4 was

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast