chris
    Last Online
    24-10-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4 / h type r

Am I Mad...?

not a for sale thread yet..! but having horrible thoughts of selling my vr4 and getting an accord type r if for nothing else but better fuel economy ish .filling her up twice a week with petrol is starting to hurt a little do you think i am mad..

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

Keep it! Accords are nice but no comparison to the Legnum & not as practical. I struggle to drive these as the seat don't move back very far either so worth checking there is enough space for you

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I'm going through the same think at the moment, Chris : I just can't justify the expense of running a VR4 when there are (much) faster cars that use less fuel, handle as well / better and are nearly as comfortable / roomy.

Rather than the type R (which I've driven and is very nice, but amazingly impractical and not all that fast) consider some of the current diesel estates you can get these days - a few mods and they're powerful, quiet, and handle surprisingly well. And generally use half the fuel of the VR4.

Name
    Karl
    Last Online
    14-10-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mits VR4 Super
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    I'm going through the same think at the moment, Chris : I just can't justify the expense of running a VR4 when there are (much) faster cars that use less fuel, handle as well / better and are nearly as comfortable / roomy.

name and shame em Steve
    Mitsubushi Legnum Super VR4 # 59/283

Remapped ECU
    Blitz dual selenoid Electonic Boost Controller
    600X300X76 FMIC
    Magnecor KV85 competition HT Leads
    NGK Iridium spark plugs
    Custom made hard pipes
    S-ayc diff
    Selby ajustable sway bars
    Poly utherain bushes
    Sard 265lph fuel pump
    Sard fuel pressure regulator
    Daiyama adjustable coilovers
    236mm 13 row transmisson oil cooler
    Custom made rear strut-brace
    plx wideband sensor & gauge
    Evo VI 3" Decat
    Enkei Evo VIII alloys
    Evo VIIII brembro calipers & discs all round
    Zenon HID headlights inc high beam and fog lights
    Carputer
    2x genesis amp's
    Rainbow and focal door speakers
    AMSoil fluids
    K&N panel filter
    Opie oils air freshener

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Steve is entirely disenchanted with his VR4 and subsequently his current views shouldnt tarnish the enjoyment others get out of their VR4's!

Im sure he will agree with me

Still here somewhere........

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

I can understand going for a high spec diesel but don't see the benefit of changing to a type-r. Not going to gain much & might end up getting a car that might need unexpected money spent on it. I personally won't bother but I am still a fan of the Accord Type-R's (hate chavy Civics though)

Name
    kash khan
    Last Online
    04-01-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    galant 2.5 v6 s

hey my mate has got an accord type r and they are FAST!

2.2 vtec is a powerful engine. but i don't think you can save fuel with any car nowadays!!!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

I love ATR's, but as has been said they're not very practical and I doubt they would be good enough on fuel to warrant the expense involved in changing cars.

Budget dependant obviously but i'd look at something like a Mondeo ST TDCi Estate or E46 330d Tourer, both are said to have 'drivers car' qualities that would probably suit your needs after VR4 ownership.
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

When I bought the Scoobie I thought it might be more economical, than the VR4, for the daily thrash..... sorry, steady drive to work but it isn't, certainly not now it's been remapped but what the heck.

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    11-04-2019
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, GTIR, Mini

once you've had a turbo'd car, anything else just isn't the same! (well, apart from a supercharged one )
    IMO honda's are for ageing petrol heads who aren't allowed real sports cars
    keep the VR4 dude, you know you want to

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by mike74
    IMO honda's are for ageing petrol heads
    Oi I resemble that remark .........................but i ain't got a Honda.

Name
    mark
    Last Online
    09-04-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    MANUAL SUPER

just buy a cheap diesel and keep the vr4 too.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Quote Originally Posted by MPBVr4
    Scoobie I thought it might be more economical, than the VR4
    That's not right - All three of my scoobs (including the legacy) have been a LOT more economical than the VR4...but then they weren't autos......

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    Steve is entirely disenchanted with his VR4 and subsequently his current views shouldnt tarnish the enjoyment others get out of their VR4's!
    That's a bit strong - I'm not disenchanted: it remains the best car for a long-distance, mixed driving I've ever been in - it's comfy, fast, only a bit too noisy and fcuk me it grips like an Evo. Unfortunately, it also costs more than any other performance car I've ever had to run - and whilst it's a better daily driver, it's generally a worse performance car.
    When you consider that I am comparing it against 500bhp 3.0L twin turbos, Imprezas, Legacies, A pulsar GTIR (sunny, actually) Mazda 323 GTR, Volvo T4, an 850R, Evo 4, Evo 2 and goodness knows what else I've owned, that's really saying something!

I've always (Always) said that if you want a performance car, you don't buy a VR4, you buy an Evo. The VR4 is all things to all men: Anything you ask it to do, it will do very well (apart from park easily ). Unfortunately, it's a Jack of all trades, which means it's master of none, and always expensive.

It's served us brilliantly as a family car - as our only performance car etc.
    Unfortunately, I've been commuting in it: unless you're using the Evo-like handling on a regular basis (in which case.....buy an Evo?) then there are cars that go faster in a straight line for less money. It's not a good commuter car.

If you really really love the VR4, and are prepared to cherish it and keep her as she should be, then it's a fantastic car to own - I don't regret owning it at all.
    If there was a less expensive route to 400bhp/400lbft then I wouldn't consider selling.

But there isn't, and at 300bhp (that's around 260bhp at the wheels) it's pretty humbling knowing that a FWD Audi A4 with a 2.0L TDI engine and a remap running 195bhp (and yes, they can) isn't going anywhere.......and isn't watching the fuel gauge whilst he's doing it.

If you're doing limited mileage, and want a car that you and your wife can enjoy, get the kids in, a fridge, etc etc it's brilliant.

Let me share a little thing I have noticed whilst driving 500-odd miles a week:
    You sit on an dual carrigeway at 70-80mph. 10 years ago, the cars overtaking you would all have been imprezas, GTi's, Type-Rs and other performance kit, as well as a few 2.8L BMWs Vectra V6s etc.

Now, They're all in lane one, one eye on the revs, the other eye on the fuel gauge. Sure they'll pop out and have some fun, but it's short lived.

The cars in lane 2 and 3 are all diesels. Try it - sit there and count how many of each car overtake you on a long journey.

I love my VR4, but it only makes sense as a toy car - and there are better toys.

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by mike74
    once you've had a turbo'd car, anything else just isn't the same! (well, apart from a supercharged one )
    IMO honda's are for ageing petrol heads who aren't allowed real sports cars
    keep the VR4 dude, you know you want to
    utter nonsense....

give me a honda - prelude, integra, s2000 over a vr4 anyday for driver focussed fun!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm not quite in agreement with you there Steve.

Any FWD car is only going to be quicker in a straight line without a standing start coming into play. How many FWD cars do you see a day that are faster even then?

I am struggling to think of cars that "are (much) faster ... use less fuel, handle as well / better and are nearly as comfortable / roomy" when compared to a VR4. Can you let me know what they are? Seriously, at the end of this year, if not sooner, I will be looking for my next VR4 - if there are options to suit me better then I want to know!

I am in agreement with the fact that the VR4 is a jack of all trades and master of none. But for me that's okay. I don't want several more cars to do what the VR4 does a bit better. I want one car that is pretty good at it all. Stoopid petrol costs are the one downside of that, but running a different 300bhp car AND a family estate would end up costing a lot more.

Name
    chris
    Last Online
    24-10-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4 / h type r

oops think i have caused a riot only reason i was thing of an atr is surely it is still quick whilst doing more than 240 mile to a tank i know it aint a turbo but its a fair compromise

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

I personally agree with - "just buy a cheap diesel and keep the vr4 too" but at the end of the day, its your decision & the Honda will be reliable & still a nice car to drive. No harm in looking (but keep the vr4)

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I like the option of having the Swift as well. Also comes in handy if either car is off the road. £500 to buy, 40mpg on the commute, hasn't gone wrong in 20 months of ownership, with the exception of me crawling under the car to adjust a rattling heatshield (what heat it's shielding against is anybody's guess!) and replacement of the front discs and pads for £85, and can do the quarter-mile in under 20 seconds!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    11-04-2019
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, GTIR, Mini

spose it depends on how much of a compromise you're willing to accept at the end of the day. performance cars are generally fairly thirsty & frugal cars aren't (usually) that speedy. theres nothing wrong with honda's by any means but you'll probably end up thrashing it more to get the sound of the v-tec kicking in YO!
    i went from a 200sx to a mk1 mr2 years ago & even with the engine's power band kicking in at about 5.5k & a beautiful noise too, i still yearned for a turbo. turbo's are evil incarnate, once they have you they won't let you go back to a 'normal' car ever again

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

see immediate Fail comes into play when you mention commute and a 2.5V6 TT

Wasnt meant to be strong Steve, just the ill feeling towards the VR4 i picked up last night

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast