Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Wow gents Thank you!

In my comparison of the VR4, I did forget to mention one non-designed feature of the car which is truly excellent, and that is Club VR4, which always remains awesome.

I'll get the small issue of insurance resolved, and then look into what happens next.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Borrow an O2 sensor from psb or wodj or someone
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Only if you can tell me why you're so sure it's the O2 sensor when it's passed an MOT with it (andjust to be clear, the fuel economy issue has been here since I got the car) and when I've seen it outputting a nice variable voltage?

If you give me some logic, I'll fit the perfectly good lambda sensor that is sat on my workbench.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Just try it. It could just be a little lazy and slow to change from the rich to lean reading.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Again, likely to fail an MOT, though I'll admit I can see where it MIGHT pass with a lazy sensor being an import, and tested on very very loose regulations. If it is "lazy" then it will be the first one I have ever heard of behaving so.....

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Steve, just to add insult to injury, i have just filled up after taking the trailer (min3/4 tonne) to Nottingham and back and then 2 trips with the trailer with cats golf on it which is easily 1 3/4 tonne all in, and then half a dozen 5 mile local trips and it worked out at a gnats cock under 26mpg

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

LOL! So what you're telling me is that I need to spend out £1000+ on a manual gearbox conversion and drive it sensibly to see 30ish mpg? BUT I will have a VR4 for those occasional moments when I want to put my toe down hard.

Or I can have a non-VR4 with a manual box and a diesel engine, drive it quite a bit faster day-to-day than the VR4, return 45+mpg and use the funds to...ohh..say own an Evo?

BTW - I'd like to be clear I really am just playing devils advocate here: I can understand the appeal of the VR4 - I've driven enough miles in one to know how easy and fun it is.

Unfortunately, I am doing enough miles to buy a VR4 every couple of months at current prices of fuel and cars.

To put it in perspective, I thrapped the shizzle out of my little diesel all the way home yesterday....around 100miles. Proper a$$hole driving - foot flat, top speed, flash out-of-my-way not going to be late stuff.

Assuming a theoretical and legally unproveable average speed of 95mph, I used £12 of fuel. £12!

Not once did I find the handling un-grippy enough, and only a couple of times did I think "come on come on accelerate harder".

£12! The same in the VR4 would have cost well over £40.

And this is my point - not that we're all mad for having one, but that it's really REALLY difficult to justify owning one for as anything other than a local pootle with occasional weekend jollies.

It's a toy car. A very expensive toy car.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

/Runs Steve's post through the KieranCorp Mk1 verbosity-reduction filter (powered by Ceefax):

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    You haz want VR-4?! Wharrgarbl!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456