Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Err ?
    How much performance do you want from a near 2 ton automatic estate car?

Name
    Gib
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

Quote Originally Posted by StuartTheFish
    I'll have to see if I can blag a passenger ride or something I guess, to see if they're able to scratch my itch after all...

Are any members on here near Harrogate? I know there's a white galant VR4 with white volk TE37's in town somewhere, also spotted a grey one and a legnum VR4 or two as well. Might have to see if I can collar one and blag a lift
    I can be found in Harrogate from time to time if you fancy a passenger ride

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

In stock form with an auto they feel like a 4 litre NA V8.

If you put in a boost controller though you can feel the boost ramping up over a slightly wider range and you can fairly easily go from 206kw/363nm to 230-240kw and 420-450nm with the basic intercooler + boost + exhaust
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Gib
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    you can fairly easily go from 206kw/363nm to 230-240kw and 420-450nm with the basic intercooler + boost + exhaust

I really should stop faffing about and just fit a boost controller already!

Last Online
    17-05-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by SGHOM
    Err ?
    I don't want a legnum, I'd want the galant if anything, and manual would be a must too. As for how much performance I want, much as possible mate, which is why I'm asking around to see if it may be a replacement for my MR2 that I can live with after a few mods. Kinda assumed the larger engine with two turbos would have made it easy to combat the extra weight, but if there aren't many affordable bits to modify it then that may be a problem!

And thanks for the offer of the passenger ride Gib, I think I may well end up taking you up on the offer sometime. At least then I'll know. Is yours modded at all?
    Last edited by StuartTheFish; 15-05-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Name
    Lee Williamson
    Last Online
    24-01-2011
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant Sport

Sounds more like you want an M3. Practical for family, fast, reasonably cheap to upgrade.

Name
    ken
    Last Online
    04-08-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnum vr4

Any reasons for this? Is the insurance and maintenance costs pretty much as bad as an evo? The MR2 is cheap as chips to insure and maintain. I already service the MR2 every 3 or 4 thousand miles, but I don't have AYC to maintain, or have a price hike just because it's for an evo. Are VR4 bits just as expensive as evo bits? Are they unreliable at all? Fuelling doesn't seem to be that expensive, as while looking around on here it seems they do about the same MPG as my MR2. I assume like my MR2 these VR4's can only run on super unleaded too?

And any galant less than the VR4 certainly won't do for me, I'd hate not having the one I'd originally wanted, it's bad enough considering getting rid of my MR2 in the first place. If the VR4 is already going to be slower than my current car, a non turbo will be very disappointing indeed. If I was staying N/A, I'd probably end up going back to honda VTECs if anything.

I really would want a family car that can tick all the boxes for me and still be able to really shift if the mood took me, as I hate having to leave my MR2 collecting dust. At the moment it's literally just getting used for me going to work and back during rush hour, as I can't use it for anything else without leaving my wife and baby at home. Not really the life a 300bhp mid engined sports car should have IMO.

I'll have to see if I can blag a passenger ride or something I guess, to see if they're able to scratch my itch after all...

Are any members on here near Harrogate? I know there's a white galant VR4 with white volk TE37's in town somewhere, also spotted a grey one and a legnum VR4 or two as well. Might have to see if I can collar one and blag a lift.

Steve, if the turbos are indeed as small as you say, do you even feel it coming on boost? The 4wd will dampen the effect anyway, but if there's next to no surge of power anyway then I doubt it'd keep me happy for long, which is a shame. I always kind of assumed having a 2.5 V6 with twin turbos would have lots of potential at a fairly affordable price, never realised modding one would work out very expensive, as it sounds like a standard one just wouldn't cut it for me, unless I finally accept that I have to let the quest for speed and acceleration go and just get on with getting a family car...

CrazyKen, can you describe the difference in performance between your legnum and the GT4 please? Was your GT4 an st205 with the higher power output, chargecooler, etc? As a friend of mine used to have an st185 and they were indeed quite sluggish in standard-ish guise.

How heavy are the galant VR4's by the way? Much scope for any weight loss? I always assumed they'd be quite heavy.

my celica was kicking out 240 bhp but it was the flick up light model not the frog eye one , but saying that it was a fast car , i have taken on skylines r33,s and scoobies and volvo t5 and many other cars and have not been beaten yet the vr4 is not a slow car , also i live in middlesbrough so if you want me to take you for a spin let me know

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

brad has summed it up pretty well - it feels like a big engined NA in standard form.

With some mods you can make it feel a bit wilder, but they ARE tiny turbos, and as such it never feels "raw" like the MR2 will.

HOWEVER!

Point to point these are rapid cars - although the wind up smoothly and without a lot of unsophisticated torque lumps, in the auto you can stick your right foot down, and the engine noise will sharpen as the gearbox shifts down, and suddenly you're moving foward very quickly.

It isn't a performance car, and it's not even the fastest family wagon out there, but if you can afford to fuel it it and have it remapped, you will find yourself going more than fast enough, and nothing corners like it...not even an Evo.

The real beauty of the VR4 is that it virtually drives itself, even when you drive it like a nutter.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

It's also worth adding that this is a very exciting time to own a VR4....ECU Remaps for non-silly money are only just becoming a reality this year. Turbo upgrades are starting to look like they MAY be an economically viable solution.

It's an incredible engine, and massively underrated by Mitsubishi.

The rear diff is from the Evo 4, and as such doesn't like huge amounts or torque, but can be swapped for the (albeit expensive) SAYC diff which is much stronger, and will push you round a corner even harder!

The autobox has never been destruction tested, but with the right choice of mods it's been proven to last at 400bhp on the Evo.

So if you're a modifier at heart, with deep enough pockets to do the right modifications, the VR4 has truly epic potential.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Reading thru all of the above.. It sounds like a Toyota Aristo Verso would be maybe more to your suiting.

Last Online
    17-05-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom

Can't say I like the look of them, just looks like an ill proportioned lexus GS300...

With these VR4's, what's the standard boost pressure they run? And what can the standard engine, turbos and ecu be increased to? Does the standard ecu have the correct maps for higher boost, or will it simply overfuel to play it safe?

Would you mind elaborating on these new options on ecu remapping and turbo upgrades? How affordable do these mods look like they'll be? Can you chip the ecu's like on hondas, or would a standalone be needed to replace the standard one?

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, I'm really in the dark about these cars at the moment!

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    06-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum vr4

Mate get a Legnum!!! And it just so happens i have an f-ing clean one for sale!
    Fancy that!

Last Online
    17-05-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom

I've already seen it mate, but I'm afraid I don't want an estate. I'd want a manual ideally too. Good luck with the sale though!
    Last edited by StuartTheFish; 16-05-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Name
    dave
    Last Online
    16-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4 galant man

the galant vr4 i have is nice to have..but bear in mind, the rear seats do not fold down so the boot space you have..is it..nothing more.
    Last edited by funkstardelux; 16-05-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Name
    Alistair
    Last Online
    13-02-2013
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    ALPINA B10V8T

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    It's best to think of it as having a 4.0L NA engine rather than a 2.5L turbo, as it pretty much behaves like one.
    As the owner of a 4.6l V8 I'd largely agree, though my V8 uses less fuel making 340bhp than the VR4 needed for its ~260.

It might not be the quickest but a VR4 will give you a big grin at every opportunity - try one!
    Believed to be the only Palma Red / Thurston Grey tiptronic Legnum VR-4 driven by me.

...before it went to deepest Englandshire.

Name
    Alistair
    Last Online
    13-02-2013
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    ALPINA B10V8T

Quote Originally Posted by SGHOM
    Err ?
    Lots!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1623194-2.jpg  

Name
    ken
    Last Online
    04-08-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnum vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    It's also worth adding that this is a very exciting time to own a VR4....ECU Remaps for non-silly money are only just becoming a reality this year. Turbo upgrades are starting to look like they MAY be an economically viable solution.

It's an incredible engine, and massively underrated by Mitsubishi.

The rear diff is from the Evo 4, and as such doesn't like huge amounts or torque, but can be swapped for the (albeit expensive) SAYC diff which is much stronger, and will push you round a corner even harder!

The autobox has never been destruction tested, but with the right choice of mods it's been proven to last at 400bhp on the Evo.

So if you're a modifier at heart, with deep enough pockets to do the right modifications, the VR4 has truly epic potential.

i was talking to the owner of mitsu-tech and he was trained and worked for mitsubishi for about 16 years and he said that the vr4 galant / legnum engines are the best to have

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by crazyken76
    i was talking to the owner of mitsu-tech and he was trained and worked for mitsubishi for about 16 years and he said that the vr4 galant / legnum engines are the best to have
    and the foundation of his wisdom is based on what ?

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Can't say I like the look of them, just looks like an ill proportioned lexus GS300...

With these VR4's, what's the standard boost pressure they run? And what can the standard engine, turbos and ecu be increased to? Does the standard ecu have the correct maps for higher boost, or will it simply overfuel to play it safe?

Would you mind elaborating on these new options on ecu remapping and turbo upgrades? How affordable do these mods look like they'll be? Can you chip the ecu's like on hondas, or would a standalone be needed to replace the standard one?

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, I'm really in the dark about these cars at the moment!
    [Mod mode off ]

Why not enter your questions in the search box and see what comes out

[/mod mode on ]

It may be easier if you spend a few hours just looking over some of the older threads , lots of the info you require is already available and answered

Name
    ken
    Last Online
    04-08-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnum vr4

I've already seen it mate, but I'm afraid I don't want an estate. I'd want a manual ideally too. Good luck with the sale though!

i wanted a manual until i had a go of peter m car and i totaly changed my mind the gear change is so much faster than u can change in a manual you really need to have a think plus can u get a pram in a saloon the legnum is a much better car if you are starting a family as i know i was wanting a skyline until i bought the pram and found out it wouldnt fit so i decided legnum was the best car to have its fast when i want it to be and also a good safe family car

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast