ken
    Last Online
    04-08-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnum vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter_John
    and the foundation of his wisdom is based on what ?

that he knows everything about mitsubishi engines

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by crazyken76
    that he knows everything about mitsubishi engines
    Then I suggests he gets a new job cos he has proved he knows jack about the mitsubishi engine range , as to put the 6a13tt above the 4g63 and 6g72 is crazy

Name
    ken
    Last Online
    04-08-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnum vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter_John
    Then I suggests he gets a new job cos he has proved he knows jack about the mitsubishi engine range , as to put the 6a13tt above the 4g63 and 6g72 is crazy
    not saying its the best in total he is saying its one of the best you can get

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

And the 6G72 is...?

In which vehicles...?

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Gto / 3000 gt / Pajero/ shogun and other as well

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Ah,..the 3.0 V6...?

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by StuartTheFish
    Can't say I like the look of them, just looks like an ill proportioned lexus GS300...

Sorry.. Didn't see you mention anywhere about looks of the car

But it seemed to fit all the other criteria..

Name
    dave
    Last Online
    16-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    vr4 galant man

gs300 ... ermm not sure about that, the gs300 is a bubble tank

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I'd argue the 6A13 is better than the 6G72. It is considerably more modern, has a better block and head design and so on. The only advantages the 6G72 has is the extra cubic capacity and the fact it was sold in the american market. The 4G63 is similarly old and not really all that smooth.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I agree with brad regarding the engine design - the 6a13TT is a significantly more refined engine than the older 4G63T design. The 4G63T, however, has been refined, refined, refined over time - so whilst it's still a less sophisticated engine to drive with, it's technologically more advanced by the time you get to the Evo 9

Which brings us to my next point: if you don't want an estate, and you're not especially bothered about the smoothness of the drive, then you don't want a VR4 - you want an Evo: it's quicker, hugely more tuneable, and uses less fuel.

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

But if you want people in the back seat you might want a Galant.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

EVO7-9 is about the same size as an 8G apart from rear headroom.

EVO X is about the same in interior size but is a bit of a fattie and is actually heavier than an 8G VR-4

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Evo X has suffered from safety bloat rather than actually gaining size.

You only have to see the recent traitors to see how you progress from a VR-4 to an Evo....I'd be tempted myself if i hadn't spent so much on my VR-4 in the last 12 months. There's also the small fact that what I'd save in fuel would be more than cancelled out by the insurance premium hike!
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Last Online
    17-05-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    if you don't want an estate, and you're not especially bothered about the smoothness of the drive, then you don't want a VR4 - you want an Evo: it's quicker, hugely more tuneable, and uses less fuel.
    As beastlee said above, surely the insurance costs of a VR4 will be loads less than an evo. It's one of the reasons I wrote that idea off. And it would have to be an evo IV too, as my budget won't stretch any further than their price range. And then the worry of crankwalk scares me off, as they didn't sort that properly until the evo V. I would love an evo 4 though, the nicest looking ones of the bunch IMO.

And do they cost about the same as each other to maintain and service then? I always assumed the galant would be a lot cheaper for parts, I expected there to be a mark up on evo bits just because of what they'd be for.

Odd that the galant's seats don't go down though, I expected they would! Chassis stiffening for the VR4 version I assume? I'll have to go look at a couple sometime and see if the pram fits in the boot. It fits into the back of the Mrs' Mazda 2 okay on it's end, so I'd assume it would fit in the galant okay if laid down. Not sure how much room would be left though!
    Last edited by StuartTheFish; 17-05-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

VR4's have fundamentally the same service schedule as an Evo. They are heavier, so use more fuel and potentially wear brakes and tyres faster. The insurance probably is a bit less, but probably only because your average rich chav would go for an Evo over a VR4.

I don't know why the rear seats don;t fold in a VR4. I can only assume that it was a weight saving thing. The structure around the rear seats is the same, they just didn't weld the hinges for the folding mechanism to the floor!

Name
    Gib
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

And thanks for the offer of the passenger ride Gib, I think I may well end up taking you up on the offer sometime. At least then I'll know. Is yours modded at all?
    No mods engine wise, aside from a hks panel filter. It does have a fujitsubo exhaust and a decat though.

I'll have to go look at a couple sometime and see if the pram fits in the boot. It fits into the back of the Mrs' Mazda 2 okay on it's end, so I'd assume it would fit in the galant okay if laid down. Not sure how much room would be left though!
    You should be able to get a pram in there. I purchased a vr4 as I wanted something quick, but with the space to store my old mans wheelchair.

Name
    ken
    Last Online
    04-08-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnum vr4

ye might get a pram in but what about if you go shopping were you going to put all that ? sacrifices have to be made when kids come along mt you cant always have 2 seater sports cars

Name
    ken
    Last Online
    04-08-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnum vr4

if you are after a good car nelly1977 is selling he,s car for a very cheap price it is a steal

Name
    Richie
    Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '97 legnum MT

i suppose i am one of the best qualified to answer reliability questions. 5 years, 2 galants and now a leggie with not a single breakdown certainly is beyond the reach of most manufacturers although the only other jap car i have owned was a supra turbo which had to go when the head gasket showed signs of giving up. thats how i found the 8G galant in the first place. the only times i have ever called a breakdown service were on the 2.0 GLS. first time was when the clutch went (wear and tear item) and the second time was when i pulled in for petrol at a motorway services and was greeted with a cloud of steam. a stone had gone into the radiator (damage rather than failure) but the damage to the engine had been done.
    8Gs do not break down no matter how much punishment you give them. it doesnt matter how fast a car is if it spends half its life being repaired. these things just need predictable maintenance to keep going
    MOTs arent much to worry about either. the most expensive one i had on the GLS was £180 for front brakes, service back brakes, headlight bulb. i only had the GDI for a year and it needed a cat (car was 10 years old) with no observations. i have only had the V6 for a few weeks, the last MOT only needed a broken spring replacing.
    the next car i eventually buy will be a VR4 leggie. no question about it
    1998 2.0 GLS>1999 2.4 GDI>2001 2.5 sport>1997 VR4 + 2000 2.5 sport
    1997 legnum (manual)
    CUSCO rear strut brace
    BILSTEIN springs on uprated shocks
    3" S/S downpipes and exhaust
    induction kit
    EVO V RS transfer box
    EVO VIII brembos
    HEL brake lines
    V6 sport interior
    laser cut engine cover
    GRP EVO style bonnet
    18" inovite redlines
    HKS SSQV
    2003 Mazda 6 2.0 TS estate

Last Online
    26-09-2010
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    4G63TTD05H VR4 EVO 0

are you interested in a very rare mint condition starion {engine and gearbox only} 4g63t 2.0l {2000cc} turbo!!{Vr4,Evo 0,Gsr} with a sigma or starion 5Speed Manual gearbox need to sell asap as need the money or another car by monday afternoon.

{able of becoming Vr4, GSR Evo 0, 1, 2 etc.,}

{if nobody interested it may be gone by monday 2pm pos.swap for car or any other trade swap or cash}

e-mail: kure_nz@hotmail.com
    phneh tu wun ate tu three 330

sorry no pics can be arranged if liked. havnt got a camera till lunch

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast