Last Online
    17-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4

Mbc PSI

Ive just installed my mbc (Turbotech)
    what would be a safe psi to set it to? I installed the psi boost gauge a few weeks back. When i floored it it spiked to 11psi standard without the mbc then dropped to 10psi, which seems high. What psi are you running???
    Cheers
    Frank
    I"m not speeding i just look fast...............

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I think you probably need to have a good look around the forum, as this is a question that's only been asked a few thousand times before And there is no straightforward answer.

Suffice to say if you go above a certain threshold in the 14-15psi reason, the ECU will cut the fuel, and you'll nearly bang your head on the steeringwheel.

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

You should really set these up with some form of knock and AFR monitoring (though how many people actually do this?)
    Without these precautions you really don't know how far you can push the car.
    I think this is what Steve is getting at with the 'no straightforward answer' comment.
    As an example, my car currently safely makes more power at around 13 PSI than any higher setting. I wouldn't get fuel cut if the boost was set higher nor would I get more power but the engine would not like, say, 14 PSI for as long as it will like 13 PSI.
    '97 Legnum VR-4 type S
    DONE - SARD 530cc injectors, SARD AFPR, FMIC, MAP2-ECU, Ralliart air filter & 'Special' MAF, Magnecor leads, NGK 7s, Polyeurethane engine mounts, New lash adjusters, RPW downpipes, Powerflow 3" full de-cat exhaust, Reconditioned turbos, Bespoke AYC gauge, SARD R2D2 BOV, CarPC with EvoScan, Fusion amp & InPhase sub, EBC Turbo grooved & dimpled brake discs, EBC red & green pads, HKS SuperForm Lowering springs, Hydraulic bonnet dampers, Momo steering wheel, Bespoke wideband AFR/Oil pressure gauge thingy, New wiper blades all round!, Amsoiled... woo hoo!
    Growling out 349ft/lb torque, 296 fly HP @ 0.9 bar

Name
    Frank
    Last Online
    17-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by apeman69
    You should really set these up with some form of knock and AFR monitoring (though how many people actually do this?)
    Without these precautions you really don't know how far you can push the car.
    I think this is what Steve is getting at with the 'no straightforward answer' comment.
    As an example, my car currently safely makes more power at around 13 PSI than any higher setting. I wouldn't get fuel cut if the boost was set higher nor would I get more power but the engine would not like, say, 14 PSI for as long as it will like 13 PSI.
    Cheers for the replys.
    Can you explain what you mean by 'knock and AFR monitoring'????? What does AFR stand for??

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by frankoni
    Cheers for the replys.
    Can you explain what you mean by 'knock and AFR monitoring'????? What does AFR stand for??
    AFR= Air/Fuel Ratio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-fuel_ratio

Knock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Don't set the MBC too high or you may do some damage. If you have any running problems then turn it down: stuttering/loss of power/not smooth running. However, it may be too late by then.
    On a serious note, if you don't understand what is going to happen when you turn up the boost then you might want to do some research beforehand or have a chat with someone more knowledgable.
    As Steve has said, there is a wealth of information on here concerning AFR, knock, MBCs etc so grab a drink and a sarny and start searching.

Regarding your initial query, 10-11 PSI on a standard car is in about the right region if you've got a boost gauge that is reading a touch higher than actual, as I have! Mine is about 1.5 PSI (0.1 BAR) too high compared to the actual manifold pressure. Again, you will not know how accurate your boost gauge is unless you can get a secondary accurate reading from elsewhere. You can, of course, use the gauge's reading at stock boost to determine the amount of change from adjusting the MBC: just don't expect it to be absolutely accurate because it may not be.

Name
    Frank
    Last Online
    17-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by apeman69
    Don't set the MBC too high or you may do some damage. If you have any running problems then turn it down: stuttering/loss of power/not smooth running. However, it may be too late by then.
    On a serious note, if you don't understand what is going to happen when you turn up the boost then you might want to do some research beforehand or have a chat with someone more knowledgable.
    As Steve has said, there is a wealth of information on here concerning AFR, knock, MBCs etc so grab a drink and a sarny and start searching.

Regarding your initial query, 10-11 PSI on a standard car is in about the right region if you've got a boost gauge that is reading a touch higher than actual, as I have! Mine is about 1.5 PSI (0.1 BAR) too high compared to the actual manifold pressure. Again, you will not know how accurate your boost gauge is unless you can get a secondary accurate reading from elsewhere. You can, of course, use the gauge's reading at stock boost to determine the amount of change from adjusting the MBC: just don't expect it to be absolutely accurate because it may not be.
    Cheers for the info, looks a bit involved to me !! I've turned the mbc right down now until i've got a bit more time to do some research.
    Frank