Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

Map2 ECU

hey guys wel las some may know my VR4 is back on the road with a great fuel consumption of 260km p/tank without fanging it..
    SOOOO
    i ask while im buzi building my new engine up is it worth me either tuning the car up,or throwing the Map2 in and road tuning it for the time being?
    i keep getting boost cut and its spiking at times,so its only a temporary engine until the new 1 goes in so i dont care if i blow it,BUT i would like to have a bit more economy that 260km/tank tho..

she currently is running a 7202 ECU and a boost tap with a 3" Fuji System,Decatted,HKS Panel Filter,Factory airbox,and i havent installed the FPR yet tho,factroy intercooler system with a VTA BOV

any help will be apreciated,and is there any wiring manuals to install this MAP2 in our cars available?
    ~Q~

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I would focus on getting it up to normal levels of fuel economy first. Possibly try a new Oxygen sensor, try a recirv or no bov and see if that improves things.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

il ltry remove the BOV today or plumb the factory 1 back,and take out the MBC oxy sensor in the exhaust?

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Maybe replace the MAF too, could be stuffed and hence causing the car to run rich.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

why add a map2 when you have a mapable ecu , just does not make sense now given that most of the needed maps are known

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

That is a good point, put in a 7201 and tune it, and sell the 7202

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Why would you replace a 7202 with a 7201? The 7202 can be flashed in situ with no modifications. The only way to flash a 7201 at the moment is to swap for a pre flashed one from NJ or desolder the chip and flash it in a rom flashing tool yourself, then solder it back in.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

scott theyr saying put a 7201 in and use the map2 with that and sell the 02 instead...

John who do i contact regarding the mapping? and wil i have full functions as with the map2?

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

ok iv put the factory BOV in and removed the tap and now i wait i suppose?

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

NJ asked why you would use a map2 if you already have a mappable ecu. I took that to mean, why use the map2 if you can just flash the 7202.

Brad then suggested using the 7201 instead of the 7202, which to me doesn't make a great deal of sense.

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by VR4WGN
    scott theyr saying put a 7201 in and use the map2 with that and sell the 02 instead...

John who do i contact regarding the mapping? and wil i have full functions as with the map2?
    Get the cable and do it yourself. I don't know of anyone who does it in NZ, so you might be able to drum up a bit of business if you can.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

Quote Originally Posted by mattnz
    Get the cable and do it yourself. I don't know of anyone who does it in NZ, so you might be able to drum up a bit of business if you can.
    your the it geek not me lol

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I mean using a 7201 + mapecu. I think this isn't a bad option as it will be easier to find people in NZ willing to map an ecu they are familiar with.

Plus 7202's are worth a lot more to resell.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Ah ok. Sorry Brad, I was thrown by your saying "that's a good point" directly after NJ's post.

This raises an interesting question though.. what benefit does a map2 give over a mappable stock ecu now?

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Thats my fault, I was using the iphone and was trying to keep it short

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yeah Brad did confuse things a little there , my point was as pointed out why go to the expense of getting the map2 mapped when your 7202 can be mapped in the same way , no you will not get NLTS but your controling the actual map and not faking a single into it

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

um but you cant change the boost on the 7202 ey?? and with the map2 it allows more functions than the factory ecu correct?? otherwise they would not have bothered making an aftermarket ecu for sale then correct? my understanding of buying this ecu was that i can get better performance form my stock vehicle safely aswell as the ability to frequently change settings should that be needed,as for someone mapping the 7202's id like to know if there is someone that can confidently and safely re-mapp these for me .

VR4WGN goes in this week to get the Map fitted and road tuned,but i have been un succesfull in solving the problems, i changed everything back to factory and im pushing .9 bar upto 3rd gear at 4500 then raises to 1 bar,then redline change to 4th and peaks 1.2 bar at 4500rpm then dies(spikes and cuts out briefly) to .4 bar and then raises to .8 at 6000rpm then back down to .4 bar .
    it was worse when i changed the afm and the relay on the firewall(fuel related correct?).

further what is the best way to test faulty 02 sensors? and where is the best place to buy new ones?

i am thinkin gwhen i drop the engine out again to replace the clutch in the next week or 2 i want to replace the plugs,Boost solonoids and check the actuators too,then insert my Gen 2 lifters into it aswell,hopefully itll all go sweet after that until the 04 conversion is complete.

thanx for taking the time to read my schpeel and please if you have any good info that may be of use to me id really apreciate it as you know im not too clued up with internals just yet but learning slowly..

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

if you reflash the 7202 you can change the boost and so on cant you? thats what they did with the 7201. just a bit of code re-writing which ill leave to the sofware gurus of the likes of scott.
    and as a MAP2ECU is a piggyback doesent it just trick the factory ecu into outputting a more "performance orientated" output,??

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

Ok just reading this I'm not sure if I still need my map2, Just got a ralliart 2001 galant vr4, don't know what ecu I have, wanting more power and I was told this was a good choice. not fitted yet, waiting on electronic boost controller and gauges.

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Colin, I was in a similar position about a year ago but there wasn't the 'easy' option of flashing the ECU back then. I got a MAP2 and if I were in your position now, as there have been 'leaps and bounds' developments in terms of flashing/re-programming VR-4 ECUs, I would keep the factory ECU and get it flashed. This is as long as you have no immediate intention of upgrading the turbos.
    If you would be happy with circa 300BHP (remember that your car is 8-9 years old and will more than likely not output 270+BHP any more) then flashing the ECU would be a good all-round way forward.
    One thing to note though is that, with either ECU flashing or MAP2, if you add more performance mods in the future then it is likely that the programming of whichever ECU you have will need tweaking at least.
    With either ECU you wouldn't need an electronic boost controller as the MAP2 controls boost and the factory ECU's settings would be adjusted to raise maximum boost.
    I'd give the gurus at Eurospec a ring and discuss your options with them. I believe they're your best bet for getting your factory ECU tweaked or the MAP2 tuned.
    '97 Legnum VR-4 type S
    DONE - SARD 530cc injectors, SARD AFPR, FMIC, MAP2-ECU, Ralliart air filter & 'Special' MAF, Magnecor leads, NGK 7s, Polyeurethane engine mounts, New lash adjusters, RPW downpipes, Powerflow 3" full de-cat exhaust, Reconditioned turbos, Bespoke AYC gauge, SARD R2D2 BOV, CarPC with EvoScan, Fusion amp & InPhase sub, EBC Turbo grooved & dimpled brake discs, EBC red & green pads, HKS SuperForm Lowering springs, Hydraulic bonnet dampers, Momo steering wheel, Bespoke wideband AFR/Oil pressure gauge thingy, New wiper blades all round!, Amsoiled... woo hoo!
    Growling out 349ft/lb torque, 296 fly HP @ 0.9 bar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast