20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Sorry, Q, haven't been reading this thread. If I've got the gist of it right, you are always using the same usb/serial lead/converter to connect? I tried 3 before I got one that works. On the forums it's one of the biggest issues with the serial connection to the MAP2. Most laptos now don't have a serial port, just USB. So you need to buy a USB/serial interface. At least half of these interfaces don't seem to be compatible!
    Ask around and see if you can borrow another one. On the one I've now got, it is a single USB connection into 2 serial ports. Only one serial port works, no matter how I have it set up. I get the exact error you get if I use my original USB/serial converter or the wrong port in my current one.

Hope that helps a bit.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    17-06-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR4 saloon2001
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, I had the same trouble but managed eventually to get the usb to serial converter to work eventually on port 1 (if I remember correctly). You could buy/borrow an old (cheap) laptop with a serial port.

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

I'd try com port 1 too. Worked for me.
    '97 Legnum VR-4 type S
    DONE - SARD 530cc injectors, SARD AFPR, FMIC, MAP2-ECU, Ralliart air filter & 'Special' MAF, Magnecor leads, NGK 7s, Polyeurethane engine mounts, New lash adjusters, RPW downpipes, Powerflow 3" full de-cat exhaust, Reconditioned turbos, Bespoke AYC gauge, SARD R2D2 BOV, CarPC with EvoScan, Fusion amp & InPhase sub, EBC Turbo grooved & dimpled brake discs, EBC red & green pads, HKS SuperForm Lowering springs, Hydraulic bonnet dampers, Momo steering wheel, Bespoke wideband AFR/Oil pressure gauge thingy, New wiper blades all round!, Amsoiled... woo hoo!
    Growling out 349ft/lb torque, 296 fly HP @ 0.9 bar

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

Thumbs up

ok update..

Success

after the awsum help and wakeup call from Ben i was welding away this morning and it all hit me.. Facepalm)

Mason Loaded Map-Cal2 V3.1.3 on the laptops
    the unit came with a 3.0.3 version but mason couldnt get this to run aparantly,so i unloaded the 1.3 and reloaded 0.3 and we hav success...

its road tuned and goes good
    the clutch is not going to last so its time to fork out pingers now!!!!
    has a flat spot upon initial acceleration but is very responsive tho..
    Economy?? um well we wont know just yet,

any one got any info or tunes i should tweak on it or??
    ps thank you and apologies for all the hassles guys..

io feel somewhat shy saying Geartech didnt even realize they farked up and the customer had to show them where they did so i just kept quiete and did it on their lunch break
    Q

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

They should give you the previous hours free then!
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

ok its in and running but not how id expect... does anyome know of or able to supply me a base map for this?? i am currently running a 3000gt Base map system and theres flawa and the car is pretty much undriveable in some rev ranges

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Well a 3000gt is of course a completely different car! Who are these muppets installing it for you? It sounds like they have no idea what they are doing.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by VR4WGN
    ok its in and running but not how id expect... does anyome know of or able to supply me a base map for this?? i am currently running a 3000gt Base map system and theres flawa and the car is pretty much undriveable in some rev ranges

Give the car to someone who knows what there doing or you will end up blowing the car up , sometimes you realy do make me screem at the screen

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter_John
    Give the car to someone who knows what there doing or you will end up blowing the car up , sometimes you realy do make me screem at the screen
    wooops sorry daddy

ill listen to you lol , ill park her up and not drive her maby?? or remove it and only run my ecu maby..?
    im a bit scared now you guys say that koz there is some truth to it. ofcourse this is all new to me so please John dont eat me alive

i didnt know any better... i want to take the car up to auckland on the weekend but i was too scared with it not running right,maby best for me to de-install it then,,ill not the wiring for my future install attemt and mounting of the unit when i drop the drivetrain out again in the very near future(1 month or so)

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

It sounds like they are absolute idiots. I would not take my car there.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

hmmm oh well im getting rid of it all,im going to install that new wrecks drivetrain..Brad i think you and i will have to go on a quarter mile race once its in i think...

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

Hi VR4WGN, i finally register too the site . i also have the map ecu 2 installed (7G vr4)and tried to run it in kvf eliminate mode with the 3000gt map aswell, but it didnt even idle! so i have re-wired it to self learn mode.. i hope that once all the boxs are self learnt it will run in eliminate mode.. iv just got a big frame turbo for it. a/r.70 compressor housing with a 25G wheel and a td06 turbine. not sure how much better it will be over the td05hr but it wil look the part with out filter or pipe infront of it. any updates to your tune? did you remove the mapecu2?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234