Brent
    Last Online
    29-01-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2000 Legnum VR4

Hampton Downs ...

... is awesome. Just done a 'Run wot u brung" day out there and drove the Leggie in anger. About 30 laps in the wet and 30 litres of petrol later ...

New tyres, new WOF, serviced the day before and she was just so sweet !!
    Totally hacked off the Skyline on the corners but he was braver than me on the straights. Love the AYC and the Tiptronic.
    Watch out, I've got a VR4 and a 4G61T and I'm not afraid to use them !

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Sounds like you had great fun. How much was it for the day?
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Indeed it sounds like fun - I'd love to have a go in the wet. Awesome colour car too by the way

Name
    Josh
    Last Online
    30-06-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98&99 F/L VR4's

Quote Originally Posted by Xeroid
    ... is awesome. Just done a 'Run wot u brung" day out there and drove the Leggie in anger. About 30 laps in the wet and 30 litres of petrol later ...

Totally hacked off the Skyline on the corners but he was braver than me on the straights. Love the AYC and the Tiptronic.
    Sounds like you had fun mate, you'll have to get Liz out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    Sounds like you had great fun. How much was it for the day?
    I'm guessing it was only $100 based on this: http://www.hamptondowns.com/pages/67...r%20own%20Car!

Name
    Zal
    Last Online
    25-11-2017
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Evo V, WRX Wag

Still need to get there myself. Although I'm a little bit worried as I've heard stories of cars dieing due to oil starvation while heading around the sweeper.
    Mostly street cars with higher grip levels than normal (ie semi or full slicks) so I'm a bit worried about going now.

Name
    Brent
    Last Online
    29-01-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2000 Legnum VR4

Yep, $100 day cos some event was cancelled at the last moment but normal cost is only $135 if you book online and $150 at the track on the day. Just need a helmet and cotton overalls, gloves recommended but I didn't have any, no problem. They even got EFTPOS,... and toilets.

Only 5 cars there on the day due to weather etc so we had open pit, just be careful of each other and you're not racing, just doing your own thing. I ran some fast laps then slowed down a bit and concentrated on cornering options, trying different approaches etc. Only got tangled up twice when I used brakes instead of the AYC onpower and plenty of run off room so no problem.
    The Legnum LOVED it, purring like a kitten at present. I didn't have no surge problems and I ran the tank down to about a 1/4 full ( from full!!) in 30 laps !!
    Awesome punching the Legnum in a four wheel drift around the sweeper at 120kph. Wet was the best, kept tyres cool and allowed the slide. Tiptronic in manual oode is a sequential box so I had no problems changing anywhere under power. Turbo Subie was having grief shortshifting in a manual box but we had some fun chasing. He was a bit quicker due to manual box but I had him easy in corners as he'd lose the slide if he punched too hard. Legnum was one handed steering in drift !!

They have these days regular as, whenever there is no event scheduled nearly. Definitely worth getting a group together for some driving experience.

Now I'm going to get the Mirage certed up and start looking for a roll cage and some more go faster bits. Going to take Liz's VR4 down one day soon and give that a blast as well but the Mirage is the long term fun car.

Just so excellent...

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

hampton downs is an awesome track aye....been around it in the audi line up and it is brilliant. esp with the wide coners makes side ways action fun

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Hmmm, possible Auckland meet in say... a couple of months? Give people some time to save.

It looks like a great track.

Name
    Warrick
    Last Online
    03-06-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Mitsubishi RVR

Quote Originally Posted by Xeroid

Hey! That's my mate's S14 behind you

Good to hear you had fun, will be looking to do this shortly myself - just got to get the RVR back on the road

Name
    Brent
    Last Online
    29-01-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2000 Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by SquattingDog
    Hey! That's my mate's S14 behind you

Good to hear you had fun, will be looking to do this shortly myself - just got to get the RVR back on the road
    Yeah, we had some fun. He was quicker on the straights but I had far more control round the bends. Love that AYC on the sweeper in the wet. Tyres were only a week old, the new Goodyear F1D3 replacements. Added annular grooves to the V cuts and they held on like glue. And Mark the Marvellous Mitsubishi Mobile Mechanic had just done a full service on it so she was sweet to go.

You're not supposed to 'race' each other but sooner or later you going to catch someone or they are going to catch you. Then it gets to be fun!!