Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Legnum Super VR-4

:blush:Oh yes!!

:001_tt1: Love has landed! for the first time in a very long time!

Well that i would admit to anyway! :lol:

Last week I was in talks with a member from the UK site about his beloved SuperVR4 that he has had to part with.
    Now Iv always like the super, even before I knew what one really was!
    The first time i saw one was when Don posted up about his, and what got me was the spoiler!, I loved the spoiler and was forever teasing about nicking Dons off his super when he wasnt looking :lol:
    needless to say i got told were to go every time!

Any way time moves on and Kev comss to sell his, still not knowing that much about the super I joked about having it, I also joked about having the money he wanted for it!
    Well, a few phoncalls later and some emails/texts, it was decided that on friday 28th May 2010 at 17.00 hours, Kev would drive down to Bristol and drop his super off on my drive way and take my galant away with him......

OMG! what on earth have i just gone and done?! :blink:

For a few days after.... and even now, im still in shock over what iv done, and in a strange sort of way I miss my Galant, even though I did say I didnt like it....
    but I think I did... but shhhhhhh! dont tell anyone! :blush:

Well as far as I and others are aware of, this Red Super VR4 is beleived to be the only one in the UK.
    It is missing a few of the bits that define it as a super, such as the Recaro front seats, side skirts and rear lip.
    BUT!
    I do have the canards that at this moment in time are being fitted to the front bumper and being flushed in to make them look tidy. (so for now i have a crappy silver one on the car, but it will do!)
    I am on the hunt for a set of super side skirts, but for now the set of FL ones will do.
    The rear lip, well im not to fussed about that part as i have a custom rear lip awaiting fitting, as it has the twin exit cut outs for the twin exhausts i will get round to having put on the car in due course.
    Besides all that the car is in fairly good condition, I do have an error code that is in need of sorrting out, but that should be easy over come with a new ECU with a bit of luck, it still drives, but the flashing light pi$$es me off. :lol:
    I will be dropping all the gear box oil and replacing it as its got some Volvo oil in there and on cold the gear box feels like it pulls away in 3rd or 4th, a quick flush and change should put that right.
    there appears to be no rust on the body, and all in all its a sound car.
    I will be taking it for a blast of clear over base, just to bring back the colour better.
    Fitting the Evo bonnet will be on the list of things to do very soon as well as fitting all the ICE and car PC, Polishing up the bay is a must as well :001_cool:

With a bit of luck this one wont be long before its back to its former glory and be at the shows, and this time this one is for keeps! :thumbup:

Now for the pics!
    (click for bigger imgs)

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

PART I

First things on the list to do is the bodywork.

Unlike the Galant, where the bodywork was distinctly last on the list, the Super VR-4 is only distinguished from a standard VR-4 by the additional plastic stick-on-tat that Mitsubishi glued to the body as it came out of the factory.

Without the stick-on-tat (herein known as SOT), it won't stand out from the crowd - which is what pushed it to the top of the priority list.

Prior to importing to the UK, the SOT had all been removed (presumably to sell on to owners of a non-Super, who quite liked the look of the SOT and probably paid a pretty penny for it). The previous owner had managed to acquire a set of replica front cannards made from fibreglass, but, being a non-genuine part, they required a bit of work in order to fit. He had attempted to blend them into the bumper with copious amounts of body filler, making quite a mess of the bumper! However, as the genuine parts were not blended in, purely stuck on, hence "SOT", it was decided to make the replicas fit and look as close to standard as possible - which means definitive separate parts.

The filler was scraped out, which, unfortunately, damaged the red paint of the bumper, which was in otherwise very good condition. Because of this, the whole bumper was requiring a respray in P85 Palma Red.

So, work began in making the cannards fit nicely, and respraying to it's original colour scheme - red bumper, and a satin black SOT.

First off - making the SOT black:

We then kind of got carried away, and the camera didn't get brought out for the spraying of the red - again with some rattle cans.

As anyone who has sprayed with rattle cans will know, the finish you get is akin to the flatness of the Himalayas:

Which, of course, is not really suited to the bodywork of a car!

The answer is a selection of sandpaper, and a strong nerve to attack your freshly-painted bumper with said abrasive material!

We used an assortment of P320 to P2000 wet'n'dry sandpaper, aiming to turn the Himalayas into Holland:

After a mammoth sanding session of about 5 hours, it's onto the polish to finish the job.

Oh, erm, wrong type of polish!

That's more like it!

The result of a couple more hours polishing is this:

Not a bad result for a rattle can....

[to be continued...]

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4/24vc
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Confused
    :blush:Oh yes!!

:001_tt1: Love has landed! for the first time in a very long time!

Well that i would admit to anyway! :lol:

Last week I was in talks with a member from the UK site about his beloved SuperVR4 that he has had to part with.
    Now Iv always like the super, even before I knew what one really was!
    The first time i saw one was when Don posted up about his, and what got me was the spoiler!, I loved the spoiler and was forever teasing about nicking Dons off his super when he wasnt looking :lol:
    needless to say i got told were to go every time!

Any way time moves on and Kev comss to sell his, still not knowing that much about the super I joked about having it, I also joked about having the money he wanted for it!
    Well, a few phoncalls later and some emails/texts, it was decided that on friday 28th May 2010 at 17.00 hours, Kev would drive down to Bristol and drop his super off on my drive way and take my galant away with him......

OMG! what on earth have i just gone and done?! :blink:

For a few days after.... and even now, im still in shock over what iv done, and in a strange sort of way I miss my Galant, even though I did say I didnt like it....
    but I think I did... but shhhhhhh! dont tell anyone! :blush:

Well as far as I and others are aware of, this Red Super VR4 is beleived to be the only one in the UK.
    It is missing a few of the bits that define it as a super, such as the Recaro front seats, side skirts and rear lip.
    BUT!
    I do have the canards that at this moment in time are being fitted to the front bumper and being flushed in to make them look tidy. (so for now i have a crappy silver one on the car, but it will do!)
    I am on the hunt for a set of super side skirts, but for now the set of FL ones will do.
    The rear lip, well im not to fussed about that part as i have a custom rear lip awaiting fitting, as it has the twin exit cut outs for the twin exhausts i will get round to having put on the car in due course.
    Besides all that the car is in fairly good condition, I do have an error code that is in need of sorrting out, but that should be easy over come with a new ECU with a bit of luck, it still drives, but the flashing light pi$$es me off. :lol:
    I will be dropping all the gear box oil and replacing it as its got some Volvo oil in there and on cold the gear box feels like it pulls away in 3rd or 4th, a quick flush and change should put that right.
    there appears to be no rust on the body, and all in all its a sound car.
    I will be taking it for a blast of clear over base, just to bring back the colour better.
    Fitting the Evo bonnet will be on the list of things to do very soon as well as fitting all the ICE and car PC, Polishing up the bay is a must as well :001_cool:

With a bit of luck this one wont be long before its back to its former glory and be at the shows, and this time this one is for keeps! :thumbup:

Now for the pics!
    (click for bigger imgs)

i bet Kev is kicking himself
    ian!!!

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

PART II

A further few hours of furious polishing, and the rest of the bumper is finished:

Time to start the fitting...

Bumper gets fitted, plus our custom-built twin-projector headlights from the Galant, and the fog lights go into the bumper, as well as the standard grill.

The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed that the Super headlights have a colour-coded interior shroud. We will, at some point, be putting the red shroud from the original lights into these modified ones, but keeping the black surround to the projector lenses to continue the original red/black colour scheme.

That concludes the restoration of the front end to standard - well, kind of - with our own twist of the custom headlights.

[to be continued...]

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

PART III

In addition to the SOT on the front bumper, the sideskirts on a Super were different to that of a standard VR-4.

Unfortuntely - we have yet to acquire a set of said skirts, but, we did keep hold of the facelift skirts that we fitted to the Galant, which are different enough from the standard VR-4 skirts to be noticeable.

Like the front cannards, these were also satin black, and were treated to the same treatment:

PART III.5

Another piece of SOT on the Super, and completing the loop, is a lip on the rear bumper. Again, like the skirts, we have not yet acquired a original part, so a custom-made one had to do.

Originally purchased for the Galant, now destined to live on the Super.

Again, like the rest of the SOT, this is finished in satin black.

Enthusiasm again took over, and the rear lip was on and off the car quicker than the lights on a pelican crossing, trimming and sanding off the slight excess material when it was released from the mould.

The custom rear lip is designed to accomodate a twin-exit exhaust system, so we had to hack away like the Yorkshire Ripper at the bumper to facilitate this.

You can also see the facelift skirts attached to the car here, too!

No sooner than we'd noticed, the rear lip too had a few coats of black, and was found crawling its way onto the car!

And lo - the exterior was complete (for now)!

Pictures to follow...

Name
    Karl
    Last Online
    14-10-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mits VR4 Super
    My Garage
    Visit

doing a lovely job sure kev will be happy she has gone to a caring member but.....
    arggg i want angel eyes !!!!!!
    Mitsubushi Legnum Super VR4 # 59/283

Remapped ECU
    Blitz dual selenoid Electonic Boost Controller
    600X300X76 FMIC
    Magnecor KV85 competition HT Leads
    NGK Iridium spark plugs
    Custom made hard pipes
    S-ayc diff
    Selby ajustable sway bars
    Poly utherain bushes
    Sard 265lph fuel pump
    Sard fuel pressure regulator
    Daiyama adjustable coilovers
    236mm 13 row transmisson oil cooler
    Custom made rear strut-brace
    plx wideband sensor & gauge
    Evo VI 3" Decat
    Enkei Evo VIII alloys
    Evo VIIII brembro calipers & discs all round
    Zenon HID headlights inc high beam and fog lights
    Carputer
    2x genesis amp's
    Rainbow and focal door speakers
    AMSoil fluids
    K&N panel filter
    Opie oils air freshener

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

PART IV

So, to the pictures! Don't need much explanantion here, so I won't bore you by carrying on, and will just get on with posting the photos that you're all eagerly awaiting to view.

Honest, here come the photos!

Oh, yeah, erm, we also changed the grill for the facelift one and painted/sanded/polished that too, which looks MUCH better than the pre-facelift one. It comes out into the bumper and adds a bit more shape.

The Dia-Star in the front grill was also painted black to continue the red/black colour scheme.

That's it on the outside for the moment, more updates to follow as soon as we do any more to it

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by karl r taylor
    doing a lovely job sure kev will be happy she has gone to a caring member but.....
    arggg i want angel eyes !!!!!!
    They're not angel eyes.

I'm sure we could make you a similar set, just let me know

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

I just came.

Name
    Robert
    Last Online
    21-07-2021
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Skoda Superb

Looking good, but would prefer the black to be high-gloss.

Personal opinion mind you.
    "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."
    Kurt Cobain

Name
    Karl
    Last Online
    14-10-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mits VR4 Super
    My Garage
    Visit

are they projectors ?

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Oh this is good stuff, very, very good!

Name
    Kev
    Last Online
    06-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1999 v6 galant

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto
    Looking good, but would prefer the black to be high-gloss.

Personal opinion mind you.
    Aye but on the SOOOOOOOOPAH its meant to be satin!

Im off to sulk
    Kev Davies (Village Idiot)

1999 Galant estate Purple Grey

WITH
    White engine bay
    K+N
    Rimstock wheels with hedge seeker tyres
    Lowered on Spax springs and VR-4 shocks
    VR-4 Subframes and roll bars and Chassis brace
    fail lift front bumper
    vr-4 skirts
    AND NO FECKING POWAH

AND I STILL MISS MY SUPER

Name
    Dan
    Last Online
    29-12-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Kev its probably best if you never ever look at this thread again! Dont put yourself through it!

Name
    Josh
    Last Online
    30-06-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98&99 F/L VR4's

Nice work, looking really good

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Excellent work getting the Super back to its glory. Looking very good with the black/red combo.

I know its a Super part, but have you considered replacing the chrome tailgate strip with a black one? I think it would look the part on that particular car especially as it will keep with the colour scheme.

Anyway, excellent progress
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

Looks good, you just need to change the wheels to the three spoke jobbies whatsisface had and it'd look awesome!
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Name
    Kev
    Last Online
    21-09-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4

very nice looking forward to seeing it roaring through some tunnels!

Kev

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

Fair play mate that looks very well done...

so you have two vr4's now then?

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I think we'll keep the chrome LEGNUM on the rear - it's an original part, even if black might look better!

As Kev said - the black parts on the Super are supposed to be satin, not gloss

As for wheels, we've got a set of 18" RX-8 alloys in the garage, which require a refurb and new tyres - but the 17's that are on there have some half-decent and fairly new tyres, so they'll stay put for the moment!

And Alan, yes, we've got 2 VR-4's now...! But, I'm now 1 mile from work (rather than 35) and absolutely everything now is within a 10 minute walk, so the cars really won't get used too much - so we can justify the slightly higher running costs of the two VR-4's

Garry

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast