Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

If you manipulate the signal that is going through the AYC gauge circuit in the appropriate manner for the particular application I'm sure you could make all sorts of things happen e.g. alternate lights or displays, sounds, whatever.
    Miller's 'stupid' suggestion of big green neons in the back window is doable as long as you understand the relationship between the gauge signal and the input signal required for the neons. Simply put: AYC gauge light on = other linked device on. If thought out properly then all sorts of electronics, related to the car or AYC or not related at all, could be linked and activated by the output signal.
    If, for instance, you had a Bart Simpson clock that said "COOL" then you could remove the circuitry, mount it somewhere and link it to the AYC so that when an AYC bar illuminates the signal is transferred to the Bart Simpson clock and activates it so that it does in fact say "COOL" or perhaps "EAT MY SHORTS" if you don't quite get it right. You'd need to understand the operating parameters of the Bart Simpson clock of course but I'm sure you get the idea.
    Let your imaginations go and see what you can do.
    '97 Legnum VR-4 type S
    DONE - SARD 530cc injectors, SARD AFPR, FMIC, MAP2-ECU, Ralliart air filter & 'Special' MAF, Magnecor leads, NGK 7s, Polyeurethane engine mounts, New lash adjusters, RPW downpipes, Powerflow 3" full de-cat exhaust, Reconditioned turbos, Bespoke AYC gauge, SARD R2D2 BOV, CarPC with EvoScan, Fusion amp & InPhase sub, EBC Turbo grooved & dimpled brake discs, EBC red & green pads, HKS SuperForm Lowering springs, Hydraulic bonnet dampers, Momo steering wheel, Bespoke wideband AFR/Oil pressure gauge thingy, New wiper blades all round!, Amsoiled... woo hoo!
    Growling out 349ft/lb torque, 296 fly HP @ 0.9 bar

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Your missus does have a vague point about the clock - It's clearly visibile to all the passengers from that location. Mine has raised the same objection - I can put what I like in the clock aperture, but it has to be able to tell the time on request.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

If you buy a decent radio I'll display the time. I've done this with a Pioneer 2DIN touchscreen/navsat/dvd/blablabla - thing. Excellent clock!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

-ahem- Decent double DIN headunit is £500+. That's a lot of wonga for a clock!

Name
    Aaron
    Last Online
    27-10-2023
    Country
    Japan
    Car
    2000 Galant VR4

Thats pretty cool, my clock isnt working but seeing as I dont have AYC I'm outta luck having something similar lol. As for telling the time, well I've got a watch haha.
    Daily driver / circuit car / drag car / show car / weekend cruiser / project car

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

The display from this (http://14point7.com/SLC-DIY.php) wideband controller can be mounted remotely, and looks like it would fit in the clock perfectly.

It can also display boost and EGT, and im sure we could pester the developer to add time support.

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Now we're cookin'. Anyone want to buy my AYC in a clock? I fancy a go at the DIY wideband now.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Another member down here has already built one, and I have one on my workbench awaiting some free time. It should be noted that out of the box they won't work with evoscan, but they do have their own logging support and have 5 analog inputs as well as rpm, so may well be all that you'd need for some decent tuning.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Ohhh that's a brilliant little thing!!! Time support and a bargraph display, and it'd be perfect!

Name
    Karl
    Last Online
    14-10-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mits VR4 Super
    My Garage
    Visit

so you gonna start making and sellin this then ?
    Mitsubushi Legnum Super VR4 # 59/283

Remapped ECU
    Blitz dual selenoid Electonic Boost Controller
    600X300X76 FMIC
    Magnecor KV85 competition HT Leads
    NGK Iridium spark plugs
    Custom made hard pipes
    S-ayc diff
    Selby ajustable sway bars
    Poly utherain bushes
    Sard 265lph fuel pump
    Sard fuel pressure regulator
    Daiyama adjustable coilovers
    236mm 13 row transmisson oil cooler
    Custom made rear strut-brace
    plx wideband sensor & gauge
    Evo VI 3" Decat
    Enkei Evo VIII alloys
    Evo VIIII brembro calipers & discs all round
    Zenon HID headlights inc high beam and fog lights
    Carputer
    2x genesis amp's
    Rainbow and focal door speakers
    AMSoil fluids
    K&N panel filter
    Opie oils air freshener

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    Ohhh that's a brilliant little thing!!! Time support and a bargraph display, and it'd be perfect!
    You could add a simple bar graph display by using one of those LED VU meters driven by the linear output of the wide band controller. Mount it above or below the 8.8.8.8 display that it comes with (if there's enough space).

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I've not seen the circuit - is there a linear drive line for the LED display, then?

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

It has a simulated narrow band output for the ecu, as well as a linear output to be used by an aftermarket ecu, an A/F gauge, external logger etc. It's a linear voltage range which could be mapped to a line of leds.

Alternatively, they have an OEM wide band controller that has an I2C interface exposing lamda, Ip, Ia, etc which could be read from a microcontroller that then drives one of these: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=710

Hmm.. I HAVE a few microcontrollers and one of those lcd displays.. I wonder if there's room on my TODO list for more?

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Even cooler would be one of these: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=257

Mini touchscreen anyone?

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Quote Originally Posted by karl r taylor
    so you gonna start making and sellin this then ?
    I've looked at the assembly guide... over 100 tiny components to solder. You can buy it already assembled then remove it from the case for mounting wherever. Think I'll have a proper look at this next week.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

All of the stuff you need to solder is through hole and of a decent size. The pre made one is slightly different (smaller at least, not sure if its the same feature set).

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

I've been after a wideband setup for a while and the only thing stopping me spending the best part of £300 on PLX stuff is the fact that I have a boost gauge located where I wanted it and can not imagine where I would be happy to have another generically styled round gauge. I hate gauge pods and A-pillar efforts.
    I am excited about this kit and, strangely, it never occurred to me to research something with a more simple digital display.
    Scott, you may have done me a huge favour in pointing this out.

I've e-mailed the dude about postage costs to the U.K and am waiting for a reply.

Before postage:-
    The pre-assembled kit costs around £140 including the O2 sensor (just for AFR).
    The DIY kit including O2 sensor is around £100 (this has more options such as boost and EGT display with additional sensors/components required and you need to assemble it yourself)
    PLX SM-AFR with basic DM5 gauge and O2 sensor costs around £195.

I doubt I could chop up a DM5 gauge and get it to look as sexy or OEM as the simple digital display of the 14point7 unit, when mounted in the clock space.

Perhaps the 'black space' will soon be filled with something that is always on and changes.
    AYC-in-a-clock your days could now be numbered!

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

I'm happy to have helped. As an aside, I'm looking into using the OEM kit he provides as well as an lcd display, a microcontroller, and a few sensors to make an all in one, fully customisable unit. I'm planning to have it possible to add gauges etc just like evoscan, with axis and ranges etc derived from simple equations (i.e. rpm might be freq(DigitalInput1)/60 assuming freq returns the number of input changes per second), all on a small lcd display with a couple of buttons for page navigation etc.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Should be fairly simple to hook up to the diag port and pull the same info as evoscan as well.

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Best of luck as it sounds like one of those jobs that will never get done but maybe that's just how it would be with me. For me it would be a bit like reinventing the wheel as I've got EvoScan and other software running on the car PC. I'm happy to use the readily available tools to give me this piece of information or that and, though I understand the ideal of wanting everything integrated as far as possible, I'm happy to work around the limitations of each system so long as I can get the data I require at the end of the day.
    Horses for courses. I hope you develop your ideas and realise them. It will be a fulfilling achievement no doubt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast