Thread: 2.0lt not wanting to start. HELP!

Name
    stuie
    Last Online
    24-10-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    galant GLS

2.0lt not wanting to start. HELP!

as i was coming in to my village last week i came round the corner and down shifted then it just died and never fired again, we had to push it the rest of the way home lol. i had a look at it this morning and looked at everything, its got fuel and compresstion but only half the sprarks are working. checked both coil packs and they are all working it seems to be a fault in the wireing loom or ECU but i dont know any thing about mitsubishi's common faults,is this one, is this easily sorted?

by the way it a 2000 plate 2.0lt gls

cheers for any help

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I haven't heard of a problem like that happening on another 8G Galant at all!

You may want to consider checking the fault codes by grounding pin1 on the connected just next to the drivers knee and getting back to us
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Shane
    Last Online
    11-02-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    99 Galant VR4

Check your battery / alternator and the connections, also check the cables.

"The
    KOKENATOR Sent back in time to destroy all inferior tools!"

Name
    ralf
    Last Online
    10-11-2013
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    evo

its a 2.0 mitsi.

If the Cam sensor is bad,it will start and run for about 1-2 seconds before dying again..

If the Crank sensor is broken,it wont start at all

If the Timingbelt has skipped a tooth, it will not start,but it should be ok when the timing is reset

If the Timing belt has gone..well.. yeah

Usually the balanceshaft belt breaks and takes the timing belt out with it

If your car sounds like an electric coffee bean mill on startup/ ie whining and just not starting..your Belt is gone and youve bent a few valves.

Name
    adam
    Last Online
    05-02-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    v6 elegance

i had the same problem on my old 1997 2.0 gls, i never got to the bottom of it really as when i was being towed home,i thought it would be a good idea to try and bump start it in tow,
    no it was the worst mistake i could of made as it caused the timing belt to jump a few teeth and bang went the engine,piston 2 was smashed to bits and all valves were as bent as gary glitter.
    sorry if i have scared you in anyway! your problem might be completely different. i hope you get sorted soon!