Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete drive failure..... please help.....

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

Complete drive failure..... please help.....

Hi All...... I hope someone can help.........

While at work today I was driving to a property when turning a corner and applying gas the car felt a bit rough........ took the next left and pulled up where the symptoms became worse.......

Idles fine, can select gears fine, I initially thought it was maybe a brake sticking........... stopped the car, did what I needed to do, got back in the car and she still sounded rough but no warning lights and I set off again on maybe a 5 mile journey home.......... she was fine but I could hear a horrible noise which I thought was coming from the rear, I was thinking possibly the dif.......... on the main road home and all of a sudden the noise became ten fold worse........ and I do mean all of a sudden........... I had to slow to a stop to turn right...... when I started to pull away it literally sounded like some one had remmoved the wheels..... I moved very slowly with the most horrendous grinding, grating, bag of scrap metal being dragged accross the floor sound.........

So I park up, this is literally 100 meters from my home............ and she is dead....... The engine revs normally, the dash board displays no warning lights....... I can select 1st and rev but the car doesnt move............ I checked the oil in the auto box and it seemed at the right level........... my thoughts so far:

Gear box: but like I said I can select 1st,r,d,n....... no flshing lights or anything

Rear Dif: It would explain the noise but it doesnt exlain why I have no drive

Autobox: Dont we usually get the flashing N and limp home mode before death?

Torque Convertor: This I think is the most likely culprit.........

Can anyone please help........ I am stressing big time, not only because this car is my pride and joy but also because it's essential for work and I'm skint!!!!!!!!

I can only imagine my wallet gasping for breath as the paramedic try invain to revive it!!!!!!!

So if anyone has experienced this before, know's whats wrong and how much I need to steal from the bank please let me know..............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

don't think it will be the rear diff as I had one go while i was doing about 80. went with a bang, a screech and sounded like a bag of bolts. also smelt of burning rubber, but could still drive it, unless yours has ceased, then ofcourse it won't move. sorry I couldn't help any more than this

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

Yeah, I dont think it's the rear diff....... forgot to mention the noise increases in volume with the revs while gear is selected but no drive, now anyway........

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    11-04-2019
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, GTIR, Mini

Transfer box? When I first got my Pulsar, it used to whine like feck when driving. The noise increased with road speed. Turned out it was the transfer box that was mullered. Hope its not too expensive to sort anyway

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

No whine or anything until about ten minutes before it died............. I think it's safe to say this will be a pricey fix.......... although I desperatly hope it's not......

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Go manual, it'll be cheaper

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Sounds exactly like what happened with my car. Autobox failure. Sorry to hear it bud and hope you get it fixed easy/cheap. I ended up going for a manual conversion when mine broke.
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

I spoke with Ben today and the cars going to Eurospec........ they are hopefully going to pick it up on Tuesday if I cant get it to them any sooner........ initial diognosis is torque converter........ if the gear box is damaged then I may go down the manual conversion route........... we'll see.........

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

When you do rev in a gear does the speedo go up? If it does then the gearbox output shaft is spinning. If it doesn't then your gearbox or torque converter is dead.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

Cant remember off hand Brad......... but if the torque converter is dead, then the gear box will not move as no power will be transfered from the engine to the gear box through the converter, so I shouldnt get any reading from the speedo............

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

yes exactly

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

OK.... so that would suggest transfer box.......... I hope its the TC.........

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

It's cheaper and easier to replace the xfr box than it is then gearbox/tc , 2hrs versus 10hrs

so I'd be hoping it is the xfer box

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter_John View Post
    It's cheaper and easier to replace the xfr box than it is then gearbox/tc , 2hrs versus 10hrs

so I'd be hoping it is the xfer box
    But it seems to be either gear box or tc.......... out of thoughs two it's gotta be cheaper to replace the tc.......... when I spoke with Ben he seemed to think tc but until he's got the car on the ramp it's all guess work...........

Is there any additional work you would suggest if it's the TC while the gearbox is out?????

Name
    Keith
    Last Online
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4

Replace the wave spring with the new style one if not already done.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Adam,
    I have a 2x gearboxes and 2x torque converters for sale, i have PFL auto box and correct ECU (important to marry up correctly) for for £200 (or just auto box for £150) and torque converter for £50.
    i do not need paying staight away, you can pay me when you have it. as long as i get it eventually.

let me know
    Dave

Bye for Now!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

Hi Dave, thank you for the offer........ the car is going to eurospec on Tuesday, once they have had a look and I know whats needed I may be in contact........... I was looking at your thread earlier with all the bits and bobs for sale, if you would be so kind as to hang onto an auto box & torque converter until later in the week and I will drop you a PM with whats needed.......... also my VR4 is a pre facelift type s......... so I have the traction control as well as the AYC, not sure if that has any impact on the gear box and ECU...........

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

OK just had a call from Ben at Eurospec, the gearbox has died....... transfer box is fine, so at least I know where the problem lies........ Davezj you have a PM regarding the gearbox and TC.........

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

Well it's been a long week, blagging lifts from work mates, catching lifts with the Mrs's where possible......... not too mention the numerous calls to Eurospec ...........

But Ben and the crew at Eurospec must have worked like demons to turn it around as quick as they have........ So thank you so much to Eurospec for all their efforts and going above and beyond.......... and a big thank you to Dave for the very kind offer of support..........

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

Glad you got it all sorted. Hope it didn't make to big a hole in your wallet.
    The mighty Leedsnum has gone but the Airtrek mods will soon fill this space

How To:Contact Committee or Moderators.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast