Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [ILLEGAL] 1995 VR4 6a12 Single Turbo.

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

looks good, bit more bling in the rebuild

Name
    Jordan
    Last Online
    25-08-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 Legnum VR4

Is that just heater hose for your rocker cover breather? If so, you'll probably find that it'll just perish with oil contamination.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

not sure what hose it is Jordan.. but i told the sales person its use is oil and heat resistant.. im sure we can just change it every so often.. besides that was just the setup for the time being... what it should be is all 3 nipples from both covers will each have its own hose letting the engine breath much better... 3x12mm breathing hoses as oppose to the factory 1x12mm hose. we managed to get the engine sitting on its mounts in the bay tonight. will go shopping for new belts tomoro (alternator and power steering) then will mount that massive turbo back on the side of it.. i plan to have the car ready for October 15th.. HORI DORI drift days.. will be repping the triple diamond flag loud and proud! assuming theres still a spot available at the time. so far so good!

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

so after sooo long we actually have the new engine in the engine bay.

also the top engine mount was dropped off too the workshop today.. matches the front engine mount now. i have also removed the bracket for the A/C pump alltogether and got a new shorter belt... also gave the alternator a birthday and a new belt. not to mention a brand new set of NGK leads and plugs regapped to 0.7...

at the moment im just glad to see it sitting in the engine bay... bugger all to go now.. throw the turbo on, plug everything in, radiator, plenum, PS2 um yeh....) , change the oil filter and fill all the fluids up.. could be going by this weekend if im lucky

IMG791.jpgIMG815.jpgIMG792.jpgIMG817.jpgIMG798.jpg

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    Other
    My Garage
    Visit

That is looking great Richard. May I ask what belt you used for the power steering please dude? What from & make/number please? Cheers buddy.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

steve measure the lenght you need and the number of vains , then just use a belt with that info from any car

so if it is 627mm long and 6 vains the normal part code would be - 627pk6 etc - most decent motor factors will be able to find one very close

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

not sure what the part number is... all i done was got a piece of speaker wire... wrapped it around the pulleys... cut it to fit so i had the size the belt should be.. and bought the belt the closet size down.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    Other
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter_John View Post
    steve measure the lenght you need and the number of vains , then just use a belt with that info from any car

so if it is 627mm long and 6 vains the normal part code would be - 627pk6 etc - most decent motor factors will be able to find one very close
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLEGAL View Post
    not sure what the part number is... all i done was got a piece of speaker wire... wrapped it around the pulleys... cut it to fit so i had the size the belt should be.. and bought the belt the closet size down.
    Thanks guys, I am doing away with the A/C on my conversion & that could of posed a problem with the belt. I'm not starting mine until I have everything but I is getting there.

Name
    Mecca
    Last Online
    31-03-2013
    Country
    Other
    Car
    GALANT

from your setup, I am worry about your coil distributor getting melted from the heat of the turbine. I doubt eventhough with good turbo cover it will still able to melt it.

If you only use it for drag racing I don't think it's going to be a problem...But if your are using for daily driving, i think it's going to be a problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by ILLEGAL View Post
    took some teaser photos tonight im just waiting on the welded vcu and mild steel rear diff housing and solid engine mounts before i put the new engine in. this photos are of the blown engine with the polished covers...

Attachment 47223Attachment 47224Attachment 47225

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

hmmm yeh about that..... my fuel lines are also right there.. so.. going to look into a beanie for the turbo and might place a heat shield on the coils.. i drove it with the old setup for approx 30,000kms daily but the turbo was low mounted infront of the gearbox, but the joiner pipe/turbo manifold ran right next to it and i only used heat shield. i still have the coils from that old engine and they seem fine. so i hope the beanie aswell as the shield will do it for me....

in other NEWS!!!

after the better part of winter we finally managed to breath some life into me old faithfull... well atleast long enough to get it to operating temps and abit of a drive. i only drove it 50mtrs down the road and back as its not road legal yet. drove off fine but it sounds strange from what i remember the previous engine being.... it could have been the engine mounts or the engine but we will have to wait for next week as i have managed to blow the MAPECU2 while jump starting the car after the test drive... sent the ECU off today, and can only hope its here before the weekend. also it felt real jelly/floaty with out the strut brace in there i hope it feels better with it in. next time its running i will make sure a video camera is present. was soo cool to just pop a skid sooooo easy... then when boost winds in its just carzy!!! going to be alot of fun/trouble in this car now.

IMG859.jpgIMG850.jpgIMG853.jpgIMG858.jpgIMG847.jpgIMG855.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

so at long last i go a good camera man on the job.. went to his car park and done this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY6qUL4Cwro ...The cars water temp went above half way just after the stand still part so i stopped.. it didnt get near the "red" but it looked like it was on its way?? so i have a question..

Q: how hot is acceptable when doing skids??

i would have thought my 53mm radiator would have coped or would it be something else?

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

your radiator can be as big as you want, but if theres not sufficient airflow though it, it will still get hot,
    its just a big heat sink.

and those slim line fans (dunno if thats what you have??) barely cut it sitting in traffic (this is what ive found in a twin push though fan setup) so doubt they will be doing much sitting still, while reving the **** outa it

normal op temp, running fully warm should be 85degrees, this is the engines ideal running temp,
    95-99degrees is just below the red on the cars dash (the dash gauge is crap imo)

as for acceptable temp, i would be worried about anything thing higher than 95degrees for more than a few minutes.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

sooo guess what i have managed to do at the drag strip this last friday??? i, at long last have managed to blow the casing on the rear diff.. what happned is i had my first RWD run down the strip.. every thing done as i normally would but i didnt flat shif... i managed to complete my first run although the clutch was slipping all the way down and had to feather the throttle in 3rd and 4th. managed a 14.6 @ 170kmh from a 2.2 60' so although a good time in my view.. it wasnt anywhere near the 12.8 it ran day in day out in 4WD...

Anyway ... on the 2nd run down the strip.. i thought F*** it, so i thew caution to the wind and loaded up 1st off the line @7200rpm.. poped out the clutch and it actually grabed and got the tyres spinning... went to select 2nd gear.. flat shifted the change and.... BANG!!!!! wow WTF!.. lol i KNEW what it was straight away.. for the amount of info here on MSport i knew the 2 lil tiny ears on the rear diff had snapped off before anyone had even seen it... got me in abit of trouble with the saftey crew.. because i told them it was my diff without seeing it they thought i had come out to race with a already broken diff... i had to explain that i only knew/thought it was the diff because these model cars are notorious for it... after dragging me off the track i managed to get out of the car and have a look... sure enough it was as suspected... diff mounts were where they were meant to be but the diff was sitting down on the exhaust. ALSO. the drive shaft had snapped off at the dif aswell, i guess because when the diff fell of it put the universal at a weired angle and snaped it?? got it towed back to the workshop "thanks AA"... and pulled it off..... found the dif inside is 100% fine, confirmed the twin lines i leave up and down the street are because its viscious LSD! yey!.. so plan from here is.. i havnt heard from BATMAN about his much appiciated efforts to get a plated rear diff cover up to me (understadable mate) soo im taking the jig-saw-puzzle that is my broken cover to the engineers tomorrow to have one made for me. heres the picks i have...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Mecca
    Last Online
    31-03-2013
    Country
    Other
    Car
    GALANT

wew that looks really bad....I guess this car wasn't meant to be a RWD....

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

it would look even worse had the gears given way.. it was just the cover and if you look close you will realize its a design fault with the 7G galant and gt sports of this era.. insteed of having the mounting bolts closer to the center of the cover where they could add more meat to it they have them way out to the corners.. and made from cast approx 2-3mm thick they snap off easly, even with the torque shared by the front drive.. i just got lucky to have mine last 3 full seasons of drag racing .. not many others lasted as long...

i have a 8mm? steel plated version of the cover to replace the crap cast factory item so should be able to load it up alot more.. also once i get it back in im gona see if i can get the top 4 bolts of the cover to bolt upto the sub frame aswell in theory quad-dulpling its load rating.. it will be fun to see what breaks next aye??? my bets on the half shafts.

at the moment its fwd... = more hp.. gota look at the bright side of the story i guess

Name
    Elliot
    Last Online
    16-08-2013
    Country
    New Zealand

Wow. Great read. You have come a long way with the car since you bought it. Great to see all the things you have done to it.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

so whats been happening??

i have a few photos i want to share just to show where abouts im upto on my ca [ILLEGAL].. first of all im very happy i now have my personal plates on the car and its about time.. all my youtube videos have people asking "whats illegal about this" lol.. it s the name i gave the car derrr!

any how.. re: cannonball 2012.. you saw the theme and guess what.. it was award winning yup we got best themed car and team.. for this award i received a prize pack consisting of 2x 10" kicker pre boxed woofers, a bnt voucher and a mambo bag.. and a free entry to any Auckland motors sport event and a trophy. not only that but i myself won the "mr personality" prize for being the life of the party on the day for this i won a bag full of party pills from enjoi and meguirs pack and a trophy. so we walked away with 2 trophys and a boot full of gear.. heres a 15 minute video of our day ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuAk2ouZyi4 <<<<VIDEO LINK****

IMG1156.jpg
    abit of a laugh i know.. what can i say? we had a great time.

anyway, im still trying to get ahold of a friend in regards to this steel plate diff cover with no luck so far.. i managed to stop progress on the cover that a local engineer was going to make up for me.. starting to think ill just bite the bullet and get it done?? but i have a new cover of the factory kind so ill just be gentle with it untill a custome one shows up.. in the mean time ive had a bit of bad luck with the car in FWD?? it seems ive either blown the centre diff of the gearbox itself.. i did for a moment think it was going to be the weld on the vcu but that still looks solid... but the oil that came out... well, i didnt know they made gun metal grey oil.

IMG1189.jpgIMG1188.jpg

so i can only assume something else has now got no teeth? easy just get a new gear box aye?? after searching for a few days and coming close to giving up looking for a box and thinking of just getting a whole new car (sport gt) i found a replacement gearbox. i didnt tell him i was having troble finding one and picked it up for only $300 from parts west. story behind this box is its from a car that crashed and had only done 90,000ish kms 5 years ago.. been sitting on their shelfs since then because the previous few e84a boxs they sold were of the other ratio.. im the first to ask for this ratio.. in 5 years?? um okay? ill buy into it it was very dry but still had all its fluid inside it.. it wasnt metalic but it was abit burnt so i guess it could well be the original oil inside?

IMG1256.jpgIMG1255.jpgIMG1254.jpg

got everything off the car last night thanks to markys "how too" in the tech archive section @ msport.co.nz.. other wise i was looking at just pulling the whole lot out.. motor and all. but this worked well.. i also pulled the clutch off so i could install my new (second hand) plate inside, and OMG!! guess what i found.. results of "trying" to start a skid in 3rd gear in the dry....

pressure plate
    IMG1225.jpg

clutch plate
    IMG1226.jpg

and flywheel
    IMG1228.jpg

it is hard to make out in these photo's but both the pressure and fly wheel had abit of burn on them.. my quick fix was to attack them with some 255p sand paper on the DA sander.. got them all flush again and very shiny.. so i could install this bad boy right here.. its a clutch master fx300 plate and is made to have more bite over the exedy i had and hold more torque.. believe me ill be testing that

IMG1253.jpgIMG1252.jpg

here it is all back together.. the clutch.. now i have to wait for tomorrow to buy a new release bearing as the one i have seems to move sweet but has a small noise to it so id say its poked!.. the fork is fine, as well as the slave cylinder.. also gona get a new master cylinder and have a braided line made to go from the master cylinder to the slave and get rid of the massive long path it takes at the moment.

IMG1258.jpg

also.. a small step side ways.. i have purchased a new carpet set for inside the boot... a mix between galant parts (plastic side pocket, and top carpet) and emerald parts (bottom carpet with built-in lift up tool box) i thought seeing as the new woofer would look out of place with the whole "race spec" boot id tidy it up abit.. this set me back all of $30 including all the side trims to match.. im on the hunt for a new new looking carpet for inside. my seats are fine so are my door trims

heres the galant carpet looks as it should.. i just want to trim it by the battery box to tidy it abit more..
    IMG1236.jpgIMG1237.jpg

and here is the carpet from the emerald it has the plastic "tool box" part thingy that i thought was cool so i bought it
    IMG1238.jpg

and to top off my turbo install, i finally got around to purchasing a turbo beanie for the lil old td06.. im thinking of making a small stencil out of sticker [ILLEGAL] and spraying it with exhaust paint then removing the stencil to leave the image [ILLEGAL] on it?? i dont know, thinking out loud again..
    IMG1233.jpg

and you might laugh at this but i have a 17" G-ZERO laying around home here so i have decided to use this as my spare tyre for now havnt had a spare in the last 4 years. if you wana help me out with ideas on if i should paint it or keep it chrome.. your welcome to comment

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

okay, update time..

WHAT A MISSION!!! is one way to put it.. now as you know i bought a used gearbox to replace my broke original one.. long story short.. the replacement was broken aswell!!! i got it all back together and fluids topped up ready to bleed/fill the radiator, i had the car in neutral and tried to start it.. the car jumped forward!! yup in neutral it tried to drive off on me???? started fine with the clutch in but let it out and it just wanted to drive off?? anyway pulled that out and opened them both up.. i had no idea what i was looking at but what i could gather was the gears 1 and 2 were sandwich together sort of on the new box, and i found inside my front diff in my old box had busted its spider gears so i swapped the diff units out.. so im now running my old gearbox with the new front diff.. and works fine.. ive also converted it back to RWD with a factory diff cover and replacement drive shaft also factory. but i have made a few changes to the mounting on the sub frame for the diff.. in these next few photos you will see i have removed the old rubber centered mounting bushes and welded in place some mild steel items i had made up to fit...

heres the remains of the old rubber setup.. i removed this..
    IMG1273.jpg

here is the bushes i had made before welding started..
    IMG1283.jpgIMG1287.jpg

here they are welded up and installed on the subframe at the rear..
    IMG1285.jpgIMG1300.jpgIMG1294.jpg

heres a look at the LSD diff itself, it now sits very firm and it is very noisy from inside the car.. sounds like its broken?? but i guess thats normal for this sort of thing?
    IMG1299.jpgIMG1307.jpg

now seeing as i had to pull the whole gearbox off again to fix the front diff.. which means i must pull the turbo and manifolds off. i ended up buying afew more things while i was at it.. i have added another layer of heatwrap onto the exhaust and turbo manifolds.. this time i have used the black heatwrap. i have not got any good photos of this yet.. also.. i have given the clutch setup a overhaul.. pretty much all new.. new master and slave and braided hose to join the 2..
    IMG1262.jpg

i re-done the hose line for 2 reasons/excusses.. first was because it looks cool having a braided line there and second is the fact that the original hose pretty much wraps right around the whole engine bay before going to the back of the gearbox seemed silly to me so i basically removed 2mtrs of hose out of this thing.. after removing the original master cylinder it was obvious that had i not done this now.. i would be doing it shortly.. it was pretty much game over for the seals in that thing..

so.. now all back together and running RWD its time to enjoy it for what it is.. 2weeks and already needs new rears on it.. still lots to do but heaps of time to do it.. got a 8G front and 5stud conversion (still to be picked up from Carsten) but still looking out for some FL front hub carriers anyone.. have my new sound system up and running.. enjoying that heaps.. removed the 3 4awg wires i had running front to back running the battery in the boot and now have a single 0awg wire in their place.. have a fused distribution block up front with a connection to the main fuse block and to the starter motor. i still got to re-install the playstation but dont really need that.. i want a second battery to run all the accessories off it. not really a drag car anymore so more a street fun mobile at the moment.. untill i can get the stronger rear diff cover or a better way to brace the rear diff better.. i enjoy driving this thing more now it has good sound. and still keen to learn drifting in this car.. but it also needs a good tune up.. i still need to rewire and plumb the water/meth injection kit before it gos to a dyno so they can tune with that aswell.. but all in all.. its alive once more and being week 2 its been alive for its longest time in a long time. i only seem to get 2 weeks out of this thing when i get it going. so that concludes this update.. for now.. chur.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234