Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [ILLEGAL] 1995 VR4 6a12 Single Turbo.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

Soooo close now... just a few 3"-2.5" 90degree joiners away from finishing fabrication!!! just 1 off each end of the intercooler.

here is todays updates..

.. first off, yesterday we bumped into a small problem with the fuel rail... it was fouling against the new plenum.. just the nobs on each end and also the fuel regulator.. after going over Nicks build (MSPORT) we noticed he had taped some tails into his rails, so off to the supplies shop i go to get some fittings, and as always.. the bins the fittings were meant to be in were empty!! no problem, over night delivery was good enuf for me. these should have been finished later on today.. but while i was there dropping them off i got some pix of the almost finished product.

this is the airflow meter, i will run it to get a nice base map before i look at fine tunning it with the LC-1.. i figured new turbo.. new power curve.. i better be safe and use the AFM to give me a new base map.. i had to use insulation tape on the AFM so the 4" silicone pipe sealed up nice around it with no leaks!

AFM with tape around itso the 4" hose will seal 100%

AFM with 4" hose on it

and in these next few pictures.. is a good look at the wastegate and its dump pipe with a 2 bolt flange. i will block it off for WOF's with a blanking plate i have.. i did have it venting out the bumper on the td05, but it was abit too dodgy for me so just dumping down to the ground this time around..

View of wasyegate from under

View of wastegate from side

View of wastegate from top

this is the brace that will be holding all the extra weight up of the turbo, wastegate and exhaust.. its around 5-8mm thick? and is bolted to the gearbox, we also used bolts on the manifold end so its easy to work with when taking off..

View of brace from gearbox to manifold

the next picture is of the exhaust with the 2 bungs in it. the first sensor (which is installed) is the factory narrow-band o2 sensor. the bung behind it which has a blanking bolt in it is for my LC-1 wideband sensor which was kindly sold to me by MSPORT member "EVILVR4" for dirt cheep with guage, i will wait untill i need to use it before i plug it in...

View of o2 sensor bungs

and to finish this update off, a few random pictures of the over all view of the car from around 10am this morning.

the first picture shows the only parts that are missing and still to be completed.. on both side of the intercooler will be a single silicone join goin 90degree off the intercooler steeping from a 3" down to a 2.5". the passinger side looks finished but it will be replaced with aluminium pipe and the 90degree hose. this is so there will only be 4 silicone hose joins on the whole thing.. turbo-pipe.. pipe-intercooler.. intercooler-pipe.. pipe-throttle.

front view of 75% finished product

drivers side view of engine

close up of turbo drivers side

close up of turbo passenger side

sweet tomorrow i can undo it all and start on the heat wraping, after thats done i can start re-running all the vac' hose, extend the TPS wires and give it a lube flush.. then the first re-start in over 3 months.. well thats the plan, we all know how easy it is to say!

Name
    Jordan
    Last Online
    25-08-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 Legnum VR4

One thing i can see that i'll be jealous of, will be the ease in which you can change your spark plugs. Haha. Looking pretty good there man. Will look heaps better when you get the 8-G kit on.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

video online .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtgNoaWrHs4

okay got it running today for the first time in ages!! the battery was flat but after hooking up the jumper leads it fired to life :-D i started to edge the car forwards when i heard a small POP... followed by the steering wheel going heavy.. seems the P/S hose poped off! so that is now the holdup. will get hydralink to make up a new hose for me on monday. if all gos well i can go for a drive down the street and see if theres any boost in it.

random pix and a video of todays startup

over all shot of the car

left side of engine

good pic of the progress

another view of the engine bay put together without strut brace.

photo of the engine from drivers corner
    Last edited by ILLEGAL; 11-12-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Name
    Jordan
    Last Online
    25-08-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 Legnum VR4

Just out of curiosity, are you cert.ing this?

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

no need for a cert.. makes no more power than factory ofcause shhhh! i think after the front end conversion it could be abit harder to get a wof.. but should still pass??

didnt need to mention single turbo on the cert plate my friend has.. single t3/t4 on the same engine.

Name
    Jordan
    Last Online
    25-08-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 Legnum VR4

Just needa find the right wof inspector. One that doesnt know the difference between the generations. Haha. Looking good man.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

a video of the new turbo install. its abit long but you get the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AYQQu3wBhQ ...updated video of finished install.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

good video. The car sound great and goes well looking at the drag run.

Well done.

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

thanks, funny thing is the car wasn't running well during that run. when i shifted to 4th the car started missing and splattering and i didnt hold it on the limiter for long enough to get the boost up off the line (2.0 60").. i later diagnosed the missing and splattering as the AFM getting a wrong reading as i had removed the headlight and it has no filter on it. so with 170kph winds being forced up it, it was pumping so much fuel in it wasn't burning. next meeting this Friday, i will keep the head lights in and try get some mesh infront of the AFM, i will get some on board footage this time. and use the mapecu2 to gather some data logs of the runs, its about time i used the damn thing huh.

Name
    Jordan
    Last Online
    25-08-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 Legnum VR4

WICKED!!! Hope you're bringing this thing to the meet on the weekend. Wouldn't mind seeing it up close. Umm, I think Scarles may be a bit offended at you calling them Scrales at the end of youtube clip. Gotta love the O's on the TVs. Haha.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

im very happy with the way the engine bay has turned out so far.. i have a few things in the pipe line. im painting the car satin black and getting 60mm taken out of the ride hight. but as payment i have to wear the workshops brand all over the car for a year. not a bad deal, i thought?

a few things that have happened to the car lately..

went to night speed drag wars last night (8/4/11) not a good out come! my clutch slave cylinder thought it would be a good time to give up.. i knew something wasnt right before attending! it was during my approach to my second practice run when the clutch pedal fell straight to the floor... it was feeling abit soft on the way down. i got pushed off the line by the staff there ...but!... i did end up completing 2 whole runs after that! but the gearbox would not have like it at all.. literary BANGING it through the gears with NO clutch (pedal sitting on the floor) so you cant say i wasn't trying. got it home the same way.. start it in gear and slam it through the rest of the gears. got up this morning and removed the slave cylinder, went upto pick-a-part and got a new(second hand) seal for inside the cylinder from a mivec mirage. re-installed this and bleed it and now its feels much more solid than it ever has?? it could have been damaged for some time? who cares.. fixed now

ended up coming 1st equal in DYO for the whole season. next season (winter wars) should be good as the car is almost running 90%... i dont think they ever reach 100%?
    Last edited by ILLEGAL; 10-04-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

Sounds like your getting there. Look forward to see what your times will be next season
    The mighty Leedsnum has gone but the Airtrek mods will soon fill this space

How To:Contact Committee or Moderators.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

just a small update...

purchased a pair of used legnum headlights this weekend for the 7.5G front conversion.. im now on the hunt for some FL guards and a bonnet. for cheap or free, damaged a little is okay. just saying.

also.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5apGC_GRPcc i have been rolling the bosses merc for the weekend.. the front rims (not only the tyres) are tucked under the guards.. and it does turn S320 slammed on 20" wheels. not a bad look? i prefer BMW over girly mercs... but this one has grown on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O0kp...eature=related this is the advert i created from the footage i had taken... i would be keen to offer a video of anyones car. i can include a full inscription of your mod list and a small interview of yourself. if interested please PM me.
    Last edited by ILLEGAL; 01-05-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

front guards are all the same, pfl or fl,
    just the added option of flairs which can be semi hard to track down at a reasonable price

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

Time for a new look?

Crystal (my Fiance) started work on the car today. We are painting it Black. here is what she done today for me.

... i did help... i showed her where the tool boxs are.

FRONT DOOR

BUMPER

REAR

ROOF

cRYSTAL WORKING

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Good work ! Nice & shiny black or...? (one of the dutch guys 'uray25' owns a 7G VR4 in a beautifull black 'ish' and I love the look of that car, even though I'm not a huge fan of the 'default' 7G looks).

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

we going with a semi gloss black.. i believe its called satin black? not flat or gloss but in between. im not sure what to do with my wheels...i will just leave them for now.

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

how come you not doing the 8g front end first? seams a bit sad to waste paint and time on a front end thats not staying on?

Name
    Terry
    Last Online
    06-02-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2003 Blue rx8

Quote Originally Posted by ILLEGAL View Post
    we going with a semi gloss black.. i believe its called satin black? not flat or gloss but in between. im not sure what to do with my wheels...i will just leave them for now.
    yeah satin black sounds about right.. semi matte/gloss. I my self have come to love matte black if done right with a matte clear coat for soem protection.

BTW looking good on the car.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

the reason we are painting it before the front gos on is because theres a event on the 29th of this month at hampton downs and the boss (my actuall boss) wants it painted and sign writen for that... im still on the hunt for a cheap/free bonnet and grill.. and with the custom work involved we didnt think we would pull the conversion off in time? the paint is cheap and the labour free so dont see any harm with this now... might have to pull out of the winter wars this year to concentrate on the conversion.. should look great next summer if all gos to plan. we have made our minds up with a charcoal colour for the wheels basically what they are now but fresh.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast