Last Online
    13-10-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant Vr-4

alarms/trackers

ok

thinking my level of protection sucks. clifford immobiliser thats it.

who runs what alarm systems here?

i want the muttss nuttss cba with remote start systems.

so what do you recomend? clifford...viper...toad??

also does anyone have a tracker fitted...and are they worth the cash??

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

I had a clifford concept 650 on my evo 2 & it caught fire. Had it sorted & then another one fitted, then the remote start stopped working. Makes supra one also stopped working. Just my experiences but it could have been down to who fitted them. I hear toad are good but I have never had. Tracker is not worth fitting as the initial cost & annual fee will cost far more than the insurance saving. you are better of just getting a decent alarm IMO
    Possibly the only VR4 that was driven by the current owner before being registered..... & it's a UK car

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Toad Ai606 on both our Mitsis. All fine!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

90% of a alarm system is installation, the other 10% is producty. i can install the cheapest alarm and make your car safer than the most expensive item installed by someone who dont care. when getting a good alarm installed pay extra to AT LEAST had the main mouule mounted under the drivers seat with all the wires extended along the factory loom route. once the thief is in there and looking at the under dash it will/should look as stock as ever. get any alarm with 3 immobile circuits. make sure the fuel is cut along the loom that gos too the boot ... or better at the pump its self. the second should be at the ignition and the third should be at the ecu ignition feed. if someone manages to drive away with this setup.. it will be in a tow truck with your car strapped on the back and no other way!

tracking systems are pretty trick but not worth the money when the alarm is installed 100% correct..

alarm fires start by no good installers.. not the product (even chineese).. although installers often blame the product, it normally to cover their arse!

Name
    dan
    Last Online
    13-10-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant Vr-4

Quote Originally Posted by ILLEGAL View Post
    90% of a alarm system is installation, the other 10% is producty. i can install the cheapest alarm and make your car safer than the most expensive item installed by someone who dont care. when getting a good alarm installed pay extra to AT LEAST had the main mouule mounted under the drivers seat with all the wires extended along the factory loom route. once the thief is in there and looking at the under dash it will/should look as stock as ever. get any alarm with 3 immobile circuits. make sure the fuel is cut along the loom that gos too the boot ... or better at the pump its self. the second should be at the ignition and the third should be at the ecu ignition feed. if someone manages to drive away with this setup.. it will be in a tow truck with your car strapped on the back and no other way!

tracking systems are pretty trick but not worth the money when the alarm is installed 100% correct..

alarm fires start by no good installers.. not the product (even chineese).. although installers often blame the product, it normally to cover their arse!

AWSOME............cheers mate

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

you can build your own tracker with old mobile phone and subcribe to a web site for a few quid.
    depending on the mobile phone coverage you can track a car to about 200m in good coverage area, and about 500m in lower signal area.

it is the same system the police use to track down you kids when the go missing if they have a mobile phone. them can switch the GPS location signal that is in all mobile phones.

this is a very basic look at the systems but it was all laid out and built in a praticle performance car magazine article.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Marc
    Last Online
    05-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-3 TurboX

Quote Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
    . Tracker is not worth fitting as the initial cost & annual fee will cost far more than the insurance saving. you are better of just getting a decent alarm IMO
    I agree with that, My car has an (inactive) tracker and my insurance company told me that there would be £0.00 savings if I paid the anual subscription.

When my wife bought her Hyundai Cope it had a Clifford Concept 500 fitted - with all the bells and whistles (remote start, auto close windows etc... The onlything we had done was to have it "detuned" as it would setoff when a cat walked past it.