adam
    Last Online
    05-02-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    v6 elegance

rear shelf 4dr saloon/sedan

the hole that is located on the so called rear shelf next to the rear speakers, is this for a sub??
    has anybody fitted a sub into the hole?? would it be a 10" sub that will fit and how easy is it to fit a sub there??

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

8" I believe, it was a factory option & a couple of people have them on here but seemed to be more commonly fitted to the Legnums. I have looked into this & of the opinion you are better off just buying another sub, boxed & not messing around trying to track something down to do the job & trying to sort out correct wiring. Anything is possible but better quality for the money would be to get a stand alone system. This is all only my opinion though so feel free to investingate & if you find something suitable, let me know as I still need to upgrade my speakers
    Possibly the only VR4 that was driven by the current owner before being registered..... & it's a UK car

Name
    adam
    Last Online
    05-02-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    v6 elegance

nice 1 chris for the info, i already have a 12" jbl sub in a box which takes up a fair amount of boot space, so my plan for the new galant was to fit a sub in the shelf to save boot space and for a better tidy look.with the wiring i would use a normal aftermarket wiring kit.
    i take it that its a mission to fit a sub into the shelf as there is a metal plate covering the hole?

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

To be honest, someone else may be better to answer this as I havn't investigated properly & my car is back at the garage so can't go & have a look (& I don't know a great deal about ice). I was under the impression that if your remove the material covering the metal, there is a separate blanking panel that should just unscrew. The issue is, without making some sort of box for for the sub to go into, it wouldn't sound brilliant anyway & you would be better running new wiring through the car, rather that trying to use the existing cabling. If you want something that just enhances the base without going OTT, but keeps the car tidy, you could always build something into your spare wheel or get a self powered flat sub & put it under one of the front seats. Far cheaper & save all the messing about

Name
    Owen
    Last Online
    06-08-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual/s

Hmmm... i was thinking of installing a sub, didnt realise this was even there. Ill have to check this out!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

If anyone does sus out a quick easy way of getting something that sounds good to fil that hole, please let me know. It might even be worth trying to organise a group buy of some sort if there is enough of us

Name
    Owen
    Last Online
    06-08-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual/s

Sounds like a plan!

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

I've investigated this subwoofer option years ago. Indeed it is an 8" hole. The only true 8" subs that would be a straight fit (plug & play) that I found were from DLS which offer(-ed?) special open air subwoofers. Most subwoofers are ment to be used in an enclosure and won't produce (optimal) sound/quality/pressure if used in an 'open air' situation like the Galant has.

I ended up using a 10" subwoofer in a semi-open mini-enclosure powered by a mono amp which sounds totally awesome. All created and fitted by ZX-Audio ( www.zx-audio.nl ) on their site there is in the 'gallery' part a large amount of pictures of the built and the install visible. Not a cheap option though...

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

DSCF3722.jpgAye, got an 8" sub in there myself with a mono amp for it. Not by any means earthshaking, but does give a bigger sound.
    Last edited by The Vee; 09-11-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Name
    adam
    Last Online
    05-02-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    v6 elegance

cheers everyone for all your info and advice! i know it would need the correct type of sub (free air),
    @ vee what power is your sub? and what power are you putting through it??

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Hmmm it's a while ago now, but I think the sub is rated at 350 odd and the amp 200 (RMS values). Never gets pushed anything like that hard though. When I bought it they did say it was ok as free air jobby but I've heard boxed in ones more powerful at similar volumes. The other thing is, I had to spend a lot of time fixing rattles and vibrations as all the seat belt stuff etc is also on the back shelf. The shelf itself is already very thin and vibrates which doesn't help frequency response hence the various bits of MDF you see in the pic to space out things and firm it up a little. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound bad, but with all the stripping out and losses etc, it may be just as well to get a boxed 10 or 12" and certainly a lot less hassle to fit! Unless of course boot space is paramount.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

Another part to swipe from Andys car whilst hes not looking then . Have you got the factory speaker grill over that or one that came with the speaker?

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Quote Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
    Another part to swipe from Andys car whilst hes not looking then . Have you got the factory speaker grill over that or one that came with the speaker?
    Neither!! Had a grill from another speaker which is now a "custom" job. Pic from when I was fiirst adjusting it.
    Attached Images Attached Images