Louis
    Last Online
    05-01-2013
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Car
    EC5A

TD04 turbo

Does any bros change the TD04 turbo? What's the performance and any adverse effect? Thanks!

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Somebody posted up a power graph the other day where they have changed to TD04 turbos, it seems: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...highlight=td04

They will flow better and more efficiently for higher power outputs, but will also introduce some lag. Plus there are no off-the-shelf solutions for them, so custom manifolds, etc, have to be fabricated. You are also likely to find that various ancillaries like air con pump need relocating or deleting.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

TD04 are a oem turbo and would be more reliable than a cheap t3/t4.

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

i have two sitting down in my workshop, (pulled apart ready for rebuild)
    one day they'll be sitting in the vr4

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Gly View Post
    i have two sitting down in my workshop, (pulled apart ready for rebuild)
    one day they'll be sitting in the vr4
    did you get larger compressors in there??? will a 14b fit? what are they factory?

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    05-01-2013
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Car
    EC5A

Recently, I found a pair of TD03 turbos with TD04 inner wheel. Just simply bolt-on without any modification on the exhaust system. Therefore, I don't know the performance of the TD04 and worry about any adverse effect to the durability of engine. Do I need to modify the fuel supply system as well?

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by LouisC View Post
    Does any bros change the TD04 turbo? What's the performance and any adverse effect? Thanks!
    If you want to know the hassle thats involved, look at my threads, or Valmes for that matter. Its not a cheap/easy job, but the results are worth it. I was using 13G's, made 450bhp, 500lbft, and was drivable everyday. Lag was no issue what so ever, a bit laggier than stock but still hitting 1.4bar by 3200 ish i think

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Or check out Kochajj thread or posts. He did mods based on Scubie TD04's with slight modifications to other parts.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

Recently, I found a pair of TD03 turbos with TD04 inner wheel. Just simply bolt-on without any modification on the exhaust system. Therefore, I don't know the performance of the TD04 and worry about any adverse effect to the durability of engine. Do I need to modify the fuel supply system as well?
    this would be the ideal way to do this if td04 was as big as you wanted to go... only mods to the fuel system would be a fuel pump to add a little more pressure on the factory regulator... but then if you get bigger injectors, only goto around 500cc and use a Apexi S-AFC and a wideband.

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by ILLEGAL View Post
    did you get larger compressors in there??? will a 14b fit? what are they factory?
    its 2 subi td04-13G

as this seams the closest to being bolt on (still far from it)

wont be making a hybrid or anything like that,
    im making them fit as they are

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Recently, I found a pair of TD03 turbos with TD04 inner wheel. Just simply bolt-on without any modification on the exhaust system.
    Where did you find that hybride? More details please?

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Louis, I think everyone is going to want to know where you found those turbos and how to get more of them.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

So they are VR4 standard Turbo's with TD04 guts?........ does that make them effectively TD04's or have these been altered to increase flow as well?..........

To support an increase in air flow you will need to increase fueling. So a stronger fuel pump, larger injectors, ecu remap (if possible)/after market stand alone ecu........... not hugely costly, but if you dont do it properly you run the risk of leaning out the air fuel ratio and cause knock or worse in the engine...........

But you need to tell is where the turbo's came from and how much and do they have anymore?????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_2008 View Post
    To support an increase in air flow you will need to increase fueling. So a stronger fuel pump, larger injectors, ecu remap (if possible)/after market stand alone ecu.
    first get a wideband o2 sensor.. only if it says you need fuel.. then injectors and something to control them (re-flash, Safc or ecu) become a need. thats the best thing about the karmen vortex airflow meters, is they automatically take into account the fact more air is being pulled thru it.. just means the fuel cut comes in earlier.

we 6A12 owners only have 275cc injectors from the factory but can upgrade to a evo4-9 turbo or T3/T4, and continue to run stock injectors. with stock turbos we can do 18psi. with the td05 or T3/T4 its only 13psi. now when i jump from 275cc upto 390cc i can just use a S-AFC to pull the extra fuel being fed and run over 25psi from the TD05. (we can re-flash our ecu tho like you can)

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    05-01-2013
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Car
    EC5A

Yes, I don't want to do a big project to accommodate the TD04 turbo and this pair td03 turbo (with td04 guts both for fresh and exhaust with enlarged outlet) seems fit for me (just bolt on!). I have planned to change a bigger fuel pump and high pressure regulator. Would you kindly tell me which injector is suit for 6A13. Thanks~

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    05-01-2013
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Car
    EC5A

Quote Originally Posted by ILLEGAL View Post
    first get a wideband o2 sensor.. only if it says you need fuel.. then injectors and something to control them (re-flash, Safc or ecu) become a need. thats the best thing about the karmen vortex airflow meters, is they automatically take into account the fact more air is being pulled thru it.. just means the fuel cut comes in earlier.

we 6A12 owners only have 275cc injectors from the factory but can upgrade to a evo4-9 turbo or T3/T4, and continue to run stock injectors. with stock turbos we can do 18psi. with the td05 or T3/T4 its only 13psi. now when i jump from 275cc upto 390cc i can just use a S-AFC to pull the extra fuel being fed and run over 25psi from the TD05. (we can re-flash our ecu tho like you can)

So do u means I need to change the factory airflow meter and O2 sensor? Thanks

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    05-01-2013
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Car
    EC5A

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_2008 View Post
    So they are VR4 standard Turbo's with TD04 guts?........ does that make them effectively TD04's or have these been altered to increase flow as well?..........

To support an increase in air flow you will need to increase fueling. So a stronger fuel pump, larger injectors, ecu remap (if possible)/after market stand alone ecu........... not hugely costly, but if you dont do it properly you run the risk of leaning out the air fuel ratio and cause knock or worse in the engine...........

But you need to tell is where the turbo's came from and how much and do they have anymore?????
    Yes but I don't know whether it is working as effective as TD04 turbo but the guts are the same as TD04.

Pic Name-TD04a: TD03 (upper) vs TD04(lower)- impeller/compressor wheels
    Pic Name-TD04b: TD03 (right) vs TD04(left)
    Pic Name-TD04c: TD03 (upper) vs TD04(lower) enlarged outlet

This pair of turbo (with new turbine and rebuild TD03 casing) is custom made by my friend and he also sent to factory for balancing. Price...I don't know in this moment but let you guys know later..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LouisC; 21-11-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Who made them for you?

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    11-12-2012
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori
    Car
    7G galant vr4

So do u means I need to change the factory airflow meter and O2 sensor? Thanks
    no need to change either of them. just purchase a wideband 02 sensor and module and a gauge.. innovate make a LC-1 kit with gauge and sensor. this is only to keep a eye on fuel mixtures.. if it starts to run lean then look into upping the presure in the fuel lines.. if it still lean then it will need slightly bigger injectors. then you will need a re-flashed ecu or a Apexi S-AFC.

Name
    dave
    Last Online
    18-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    350z/Espace

Yes but I don't know whether it is working as effective as TD04 turbo but the guts are the same as TD04.

Pic Name-TD04a: TD03 (upper) vs TD04(lower)- impeller/compressor wheels
    Pic Name-TD04b: TD03 (right) vs TD04(left)
    Pic Name-TD04c: TD03 (upper) vs TD04(lower) enlarged outlet

This pair of turbo (with new turbine and rebuild TD03 casing) is custom made by my friend and he also sent to factory for balancing. Price...I don't know in this moment but let you guys know later..
    im guessing if your friend was to sort some more of these out then he could earn some $. i for one am very interested in performance of these and of course the price

have been thinking of a td04 conversion myself but im a bit worried about the amount of work and cost needed.
    Home Audio / Visual and CB HERE

To contact CLUBVR-4 committee or moderation staff click HERE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast