Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    11-04-2019
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, GTIR, Mini

Would it be at all possible to make up an adapter plate that sits between the manifold & tubby's? I've not looked at space constraints or anything it just seems that 'could' be an easier way of doing things?!

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie View Post
    Hmm, at that price I'm not sure if it's worth it, can anyone else comment?
    Well, I think it's a fair price. Seems high, but as John previously said, it's p&p kit. Bear in mind, going Scuby's TD04s way it's in the end similar cost And much more hassle involved.
    Due to duties and taxes. We are talking about HK, so far anything purchased by myself from there came without any extra taxation , unlike US purchases...
    Although I'd agree that reboring alloy side of tubby doesn't weak hybride, must say that my only concern is mentioned welding on cast iron side of tubby. Not keen on any welding on the exhaust side. Unless it is fabricated by professionals with lifetime guarantee.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    Gary
    Last Online
    30-11-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    Volvo V70R

I have a friend in Brum that knows his turbos, i will send him the link of this page, has anyone got a link to the specs of the 13g turbos? what are the limits for the larger turbo to be fitted in terms of space?
    On the Volvos we use the Td 04 series as well, but being a 5cyl 2319cc we only have one turbo, upgrades for us are standard spec (conical flange >1996)15g 225bhp, (>1997 straight flange and 1998> angled flange)16t 240bhp, ( 1998 straight and 1999 angled)18t 250bhp, (angled 1999>) 19t which is on the larger bore cars 2435cc 265bhp, these can and do in some cases except for the 15g as it is conicled flanged use the same turbine housings,
    the limits on the Volvos are the turbine housings because of the lack of space as the turbo is fitted to the back of the engine in front of the bulkhead, so they suffer from heatsoak, some members have fitted Garrett 2871r in place and are getting over 400bhp. sorry if i am boring you about volvos.. lol.
    In between cars.

Name
    dave
    Last Online
    18-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    350z/Espace

i think that price is high but possibly do-able.like others have said would need to know the longativity of these as dont want problems 6 months down the line.

also what sort of price would you expect from doing a scooby td04 conversion all in?
    Home Audio / Visual and CB HERE

To contact CLUBVR-4 committee or moderation staff click HERE

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    05-01-2013
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Car
    EC5A

Wink

It seems some concerns are being rasied on the welding work on exhaust side but personnally, I don't worry too much as the welding work is done by professional metal welder (lifetime warranty may not be possible but I can ask to carry out welding test i.e.Magnetic Particle Testing, to assure the welding quality).

Anyway, another safe way is only to modify the fresh air side and boring the fresh air housing (TD04 impeller + TD03 compressor wheel) but the performance must not as good as the both side TD04 as explained by my friend. Also, only modifying the fresh air side will be cheaper (around$360) and also, group buy may have further discount but need to further negotiate....

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by LouisC View Post
    Anyway, another safe way is only to modify the fresh air side and boring the fresh air housing (TD04 impeller + TD03 compressor wheel) but the performance must not as good as the both side TD04 as explained by my friend. Also, only modifying the fresh air side will be cheaper (around$360) and also, group buy may have further discount but need to further negotiate....
    I wouldn't advise this modification. This is one hybrid that we have actual experience of. I am not aware of anyone who has done this mod and managed to keep the compressor wheel nut from coming loose and destroying the compressor. I have recollection of this happening to at least 3 different members.

Name
    herman
    Last Online
    14-01-2011
    Country
    Singapore

I used 2 TD04 GTO (6g72tt) got 341.9 WHP boost 1.4bar with custom intake (TB mustang 5.0ltr),other parts including standard 61a13tt injector,rod,piston etc..

Name
    herman
    Last Online
    14-01-2011
    Country
    Singapore

Now after boost up to 1.6bar we got 414.6 whp/429 lbft

Name
    jamil
    Last Online
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum PfL

That's a lot of power!

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    11-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    7 x VR-4 & EA6W

On standard injectors??

Name
    herman
    Last Online
    14-01-2011
    Country
    Singapore

yes but haltech notice it's about 80% duty cycle of standar injector
    The key of my mods are:
    1. Twin TD04 turbos
    2. 75mm TB Mustang 5.0ltr with custom manifold
    3. Haltech PS500
    4. Head porting

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    18-02-2019
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum VR4 manu

i really would like to buy a pair hybrids, i think price is ok if it is plug and play.

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    18-02-2019
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum VR4 manu

i have found this site:
    http://www.turbokits.com/3000gt_vr4_..._upgrades.html
    could these turbos be possible ?

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Those are for the GTO , aka VR4 3000gt

Name
    Madhav
    Last Online
    15-08-2019
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    450whp supra

The obvious solution to the high costs of the hybrids is to send the guy in hong kong a pair of td03s AND a pair of second hand td04's (can be purchased here in Oz for £180 a pair). How much for this option? If we supply our own set of td04's?

Name
    Jay
    Last Online
    03-05-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    98 Legnum VR4

I have actually fitted a few Starlets/Glanza's with TD04's from Sccobies and was very impressed. On std internals with boost around 0.9 they were producing anything from 190hp - 214hp.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    05-01-2013
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Car
    EC5A

Recently, we have two legnums sucessfully did the modification with two TD04 turbine in HK and the 0-100km/h acceleration was recorded around 4.7~4.9s~ For the first one, the car has run around 6 months and no problem was observed so far. The second one just fitted the turbo for 2 months and is still under testing. I will keep updating the story here~

Name
    Saphir
    Last Online
    12-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    3000GT VR4/

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter_John View Post
    Those are for the GTO , aka VR4 3000gt
    Hum...Yes and No.... GTO have td04 9B and Eudm 3000GT have TD04 13G ...Big difference on the flow map! I'm newbee on 6A13TT but i have a 3000GT VR4 with big mods and 900whp.. I bought a legnum to swap the 6A13TT on a FTO but i have a couple of question about turbos and injectors..

First , i know that the legnum turbo had a td03 turbos and i would like to know if i can find a t04 bolt on ? ( like GTO or Subaru , saab etcc)
    Second ,What is the size of the stock injectors of the 6A13TT? , can i swap with other Denso Style ( like Evo 560cc , because i think that is a tinny injectors like GTO 360cc)
    Third , anyway , i'm AEM tuner and it will be not a problem to tune the engine with other injectors and supporting mods but i never see an ems made by AEM for the JDM Galant/Legnum .

Thank's all for the reply

Saf

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

If you read through the thread you'll realise there is no such thing as a bolt on turbo for these cars. Some are easier to fit on than others though (of course!)

Sard make a particular model of injector that suits and I beleive it is the same as some Toyota injectors.

There is no AEM for VR-4's
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Rob
    Last Online
    17-02-2024
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2001 VR4 Legnum

LouisC- Do you have the specs of the actual TD04 core that has been used? There are a lot of different turbine/compressor wheel combinations. In particular I would like to know what size compressor wheel the housing can handle after some machine work (ie 9b, 10t, 12t, 13g etc)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast