Last Online
    14-12-2010
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum

Advice please! future Vr4 owner NZ

Hi

It has come time for me to sell my ute and get a wagon, i have been looking hard at the Vr4 legnums.

basicly I would really appreciate getting some words from owners about how relyable they are.
    Whats gone wrong?
    they have a slight stigma here in NZ for being unrelyable and expensive to fix (same stigma for subies),
    though from what i have seen the manual ones dont have too many issues providing they are serviced
    and run the same size wheels.

but yea, any words on what i can expect would be fantastic, the car im looking at is a year 2000 stock manual with 200200ks on the clock.

cheers!
    Nathan

Name
    Aaron
    Last Online
    27-10-2023
    Country
    Japan
    Car
    2000 Galant VR4

Hi there!
    Like you said, as long as they are regularly serviced there shouldnt be any major issues. I've owned mine which is also a year 2000 and manual for 5-6 years and up to almost 190,000kms now and havent had any big drama with it. You do need to keep an eye / ear out for a creaky ball joint which is a common problem though. Try not to abuse your clutch as the labour will be expensive!
    Daily driver / circuit car / drag car / show car / weekend cruiser / project car

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

In a manual the stock clutch is a little weak and doing big launches is also bad for the rear diff (if it is a Galant it will be a steel cased open diff and then launches are ok)

Other than that, the front arms can cause problems and the stock brakes can be made to fade very quickly when driving enthusiastically. The engine/turbos, gearbox and transfer case are all just about indestructable and aren't anything to worry about. If you want to go bloody quickly in a wagon with very good handling you can't go any better.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Nathan
    Last Online
    14-12-2010
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum

so service and dont launch/do shids. i can handle that! cheers guys. will let you know if i end up getting it and post up some pics ect

oh, and if you know anyone that wants a ute...im in wellington nz

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=333552025

Name
    Nathan
    Last Online
    14-12-2010
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum

cheers guys, want to get all the advice i can, before my ute i got stung real bad with an 18det 200sx...so extra careful with this one.

also if you know anyone who wants a ute im in wellington listing #333552025

cheers

Name
    Jordan
    Last Online
    25-08-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    Hi there!
    Like you said, as long as they are regularly serviced there shouldnt be any major issues. I've owned mine which is also a year 2000 and manual for 5-6 years and up to almost 190,000kms now and havent had any big drama with it. You do need to keep an eye / ear out for a creaky ball joint which is a common problem though. Try not to abuse your clutch as the labour will be expensive!
    Ahhh HA. So that's my creaking problem. Thanks.
    I've had my 98 Legnum for around 3 years, not quite the same amount of Ks though (116000). I bought it with stuffed engine and turbos. All i've had to do is 2nd hand engine and turbs, a lower arm (straight), brake pads, tyres, spark plugs (retail is not cheap) and now i need to replace the flexis. No major problems since i've owned it.
    I just service it every 7500Ks and thrash it. Done a coupl of launches and it's been fine.

Name
    Nathan
    Last Online
    14-12-2010
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum

my posts keep dissapearing! third times a charm... cheers for the words guys, got stung with my last turbo car so want to be carefull choosing this time

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

yeah these cars are as brad said pretty tough, (i have a manual 99 legnum) i have had to replace the lower front ball joints, and i have blown up my rear diff by launching as both mentioned above but other then that it hasnt missed a beat,
    the diffs are cheap and easy enough to upgrade to an evo lsd unit as some of the christchurch members have done.
    good luck with the ute sale

Name
    Nathan
    Last Online
    14-12-2010
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum

Bought one!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=321569681

pick up on the 18th, and thanks to poppin for the deciding est drive...very impresive wagon to drive.
    exiting!

Name
    Nathan
    Last Online
    14-12-2010
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum

oh and also....no one would happen to have a standard manual gear knob sittn around would they? i would gladly give you some coin for it...

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

You can buy them from Mitsi, I think they are around $80. Or just look for a second hand one on trademe or mmc

Name
    Nathan
    Last Online
    14-12-2010
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum

i love that the post i put up yesterday is not even up, whats the dealio?