Andy
    Last Online
    14-10-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Smart fortwo

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    As Andy's not here, I'll run with this one!

No.

If your hole/tunnel was in a perfect vacuum, i.e. no air resistance, and you ignored any other gravitational effects (e.g. Sun, Moon) or rotational forces (negligible, but present), the answer would still be no.

However! If the you jumped into the same hole from the South Pole end, you WOULD emerge feet first at the North Pole!

Why? Well, the South Pole is at a higher altitude than the North Pole, and the only force acting upon you would be gravity, thus you would not only come out at the North Pole feet first, you would indeed fly out, and not stop until you reached the same altitude as you jumped in at!

Well, that's wot I reckon, anyway...
    thats pretty good in my book there is the slight problem with earth having a molten iron core and you couldnt dig drill or swim through it

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    14-10-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Smart fortwo

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
    I think that the woodchuck could chuck as much wood as he wanted! By the way what is a wood chuck? Is it like a gopher? This is difficult to question answer. The amount of wood that woodchucks would chuck on a given day varies greatly with the individual woodchuck. According to a Wall Street Journal article, New York State wildlife expert Richard Thomas found that a woodchuck could chuck around 35 cubic feet of dirt in the course of digging a burrow. Thomas reasoned that if a woodchuck could chuck wood, he would chuck an amount equal to 700 pounds.
    Some say it depends on three factors:

* The woodchuck's desire to chuck said wood.

* The woodchuck's need to chuck the aforementioned wood.

* The woodchuck's ability to chuck the wood.

Others say:

* He would chuck, he would, as much as he could, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

* If he could chuck wood, the woodchuck would chuck as much as he could!

* A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

* A woodchuck would chuck all the wood that the woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

* If a woodchuck could chuck wood, he would and should chuck wood. But if woodchucks can't chuck wood, they shouldn't and wouldn't chuck wood. Though were I a woodchuck, and I chucked wood, I would chuck wood with the best woodchucks that chucked wood.

* If a woodchuck could chuck wood, then s/he'd chuck all the wood, s/he'd chuck and chuck and chuck and chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

* It would chuck the amount of wood that she sells seashells on the seashore divided by how many pickles Peter Piper picks.

* One quarter of a sycamore if you give him a quarter for every quarter of the sycamore he cut.

* It might depend on how many female woodchucks were present. Or, it could depend on whether the woodchuck's mother-in-law was around or not. If she was, he'd be chucking all day. If not, he'd be watching the football game.

* Some maintain that woodchucks could not and would not chuck wood at all.

* It depends on how good his dentures are!

* A woodchuck, would chuck, as much wood, as a woodchuck, could chuck, If a woodchuck could chuck wood. But unfortunately, woodchucks do not chuck wood.

* About 5.72 fluid litres of wood

* About as many boards as the Mongol hoards would hoard if the Mongol hordes did hoard boards.

* Um....... 23????

* Tons. More than you can count. Honestly. No one can chuck more would than a woodchuck.

* If the woodchucks name was Maurice, then it could chuck all the wood that it wants to. However, if its name is Frank, no chucking would be for it.

* Due to the average size of a wood chuck and the general density of wood (not including cork) if a wood chuck could chuck wood it would probably get through about 6.573 pounds per day, assuming the wood chuck is functioning correctly.

* Using the formula: (W + I) * C where W = the constant of wood, which is well known to be 61, as agreed in many scientific circles. I = the variable in this equation, and stands for the word "if" from the original problem. As there are three circumstances, with 0 equaling the chance that the woodchuck cannot chuck wood, 1 being the theory that the woodchuck can chuck wood but chooses not to, and 2 standing for the probability that the woodchuck can and will chuck wood, we clearly must choose 2 for use in this equation. C = the constant of Chuck Norris, whose presence in any problem involving the word chuck must there, is well known to equal 1.1 of any known being, therefore the final part of this calculation is 1.1. As is clear, this appears to give the answer of (61 + 2) * 1.1 = (63) * 1.1 = 69.3. However, Chuck Norris' awesome roundhouse kick declares that all decimal points cannot be used in formulas such as this, and so it must be rounded to the final solution of 69 units of wood.

* How Chuck Norris got involve: A woodchuck would only chuck as much would as Chuck Norris would allow it to, because the woodchuck shares Chuck's name. Therefore, Chuck must punish it and make it chuck as much wood as Chuck can. So, a woodchuck would chuck as much wood as Chuck could.

* None cuz a wood chuck cant chuck wood!

* Approximately 3.9675 pounds every 5.6843 seconds. So there.

* 2.865 lbs every 11.3686 Seconds?

* About 15 pounds a minute.

A wood chuck would chuck as much wood as a wood chuck could chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood.

Name
    brendan
    Last Online
    11-09-2015
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 2.5 twin

which came first....the chicken or the egg????
    still the fastes irish reg VR4 on the nurburgring,april 2010.

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    14-10-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Smart fortwo

Quote Originally Posted by gallvr4 View Post
    which came first....the chicken or the egg????
    Easy one this egg!
    It's an evolution thing the first chicken must have come from an egg laid by a proto chicken!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor of Muppets View Post
    I think that the woodchuck could chuck as much wood as he wanted! By the way what is a wood chuck? Is it like a gopher? This is difficult to question answer. The amount of wood that woodchucks would chuck on a given day varies greatly with the individual woodchuck. According to a Wall Street Journal article, New York State wildlife expert Richard Thomas found that a woodchuck could chuck around 35 cubic feet of dirt in the course of digging a burrow. Thomas reasoned that if a woodchuck could chuck wood, he would chuck an amount equal to 700 pounds.

Others say:

* He would chuck, he would, as much as he could, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

* A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

* A woodchuck would chuck all the wood that the woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

* If a woodchuck could chuck wood, he would and should chuck wood. But if woodchucks can't chuck wood, they shouldn't and wouldn't chuck wood. Though were I a woodchuck, and I chucked wood, I would chuck wood with the best woodchucks that chucked wood.

* If a woodchuck could chuck wood, then s/he'd chuck all the wood, s/he'd chuck and chuck and chuck and chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

* It would chuck the amount of wood that she sells seashells on the seashore divided by how many pickles Peter Piper picks.

* One quarter of a sycamore if you give him a quarter for every quarter of the sycamore he cut.

* It might depend on how many female woodchucks were present. Or, it could depend on whether the woodchuck's mother-in-law was around or not. If she was, he'd be chucking all day. If not, he'd be watching the football game.

* A woodchuck, would chuck, as much wood, as a woodchuck, could chuck, If a woodchuck could chuck wood. But unfortunately, woodchucks do not chuck wood.

* About as many boards as the Mongol hoards would hoard if the Mongol hordes did hoard boards.

* Um....... 23????

* Tons. More than you can count. Honestly. No one can chuck more would than a woodchuck.

* If the woodchucks name was Maurice, then it could chuck all the wood that it wants to. However, if its name is Frank, no chucking would be for it.

* Due to the average size of a wood chuck and the general density of wood (not including cork) if a wood chuck could chuck wood it would probably get through about 6.573 pounds per day, assuming the wood chuck is functioning correctly.

* Using the formula: (W + I) * C where W = the constant of wood, which is well known to be 61, as agreed in many scientific circles. I = the variable in this equation, and stands for the word "if" from the original problem. As there are three circumstances, with 0 equaling the chance that the woodchuck cannot chuck wood, 1 being the theory that the woodchuck can chuck wood but chooses not to, and 2 standing for the probability that the woodchuck can and will chuck wood, we clearly must choose 2 for use in this equation. C = the constant of Chuck Norris, whose presence in any problem involving the word chuck must there, is well known to equal 1.1 of any known being, therefore the final part of this calculation is 1.1. As is clear, this appears to give the answer of (61 + 2) * 1.1 = (63) * 1.1 = 69.3. However, Chuck Norris' awesome roundhouse kick declares that all decimal points cannot be used in formulas such as this, and so it must be rounded to the final solution of 69 units of wood.

* How Chuck Norris got involve: A woodchuck would only chuck as much would as Chuck Norris would allow it to, because the woodchuck shares Chuck's name. Therefore, Chuck must punish it and make it chuck as much wood as Chuck can. So, a woodchuck would chuck as much wood as Chuck could.

A wood chuck would chuck as much wood as a wood chuck could chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood.
    A very detailed and comprehensive response, I now know all I could ever want about how much wood a wood chuck could chuck if indeed a wood chuck could chuck wood.

Name
    Marc
    Last Online
    05-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-3 TurboX

If a plane of welshmen crashes on the England/Island border, where do you bury the survivors?

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by horndog View Post
    If a plane of welshmen crashes on the England/Island border, where do you bury the survivors?
    You don't bury survivors!

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

thats pretty good in my book there is the slight problem with earth having a molten iron core and you couldnt dig drill or swim through it
    The poser of the original question did say 'if it were possible' to build such a tunnel, so negating any of the physical properties you'd encounter. I don't see why it couldn't be done though. Although you would need a hell of a lot of power and money (there possibly isn't enough of either on the planet currently!), but the tunnel through the centre could perhaps be constructed using electromagnetic/plasma technology to force open and support a tunnel, as at 6,000C, nothing physically solid (as presently known about) would be able to withstand the temperature without melting, and indeed the pressure would be another obstacle.

Of course, as already mentioned, the question was effectively asked AFTER the theoretical tunnel was built!

This thread is full of awesomeness, thank you!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Alf John
    Last Online
    03-09-2016
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant SW Sport

Others say:

* Um....... 23????

LOL

Epic!
    The one and only... Galant with PFL VR4 bumper complete with fogs and Super VR-4 canards in Norway (unless you know otherwise)

Mods done: Eyelids, PFL VR-4 foglights, clear corner indicators and side indicators, VF-4 front strut brace, Custom rear strut brace, cusom "sports" air filter, lowered, custom sound system and Super VR-4 canards

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers then where is the peck of pickled peppers that Peter Piper Picked?

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Why is Bradc's car the most powerful and most fuel efficient car on the planet ?

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Will England have a Rugby team that turns up to at least three of the six nation clashes in 2011?
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    Will England have a Rugby team that turns up to at least three of the six nation clashes in 2011?
    England beat Boks?

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    14-10-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Smart fortwo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    You don't bury survivors!
    it's a good point well put

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    14-10-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Smart fortwo

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers then where is the peck of pickled peppers that Peter Piper Picked?
    I'm going to assume he ate them! and is currently using the empty peck a plant pot

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    14-10-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Smart fortwo

Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    Yes Mike next year is going to be our Grand slam year!!!

(i wish)

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    14-10-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Smart fortwo

Quote Originally Posted by Wodjno View Post
    Why is Bradc's car the most powerful and most fuel efficient car on the planet ?
    apprently it has more bhp than a veyron and better fuel economy than a push bike!

Name
    simon
    Last Online
    04-05-2015
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum PFL VR4

PoM what are the limits to your knowledge?

£20 for CVR4 Membership, best money I've ever spent.
    Join here

Jan 2011
    New engine
    Feb 2011
    NJ special ECU - thanks John
    Momo steering wheel - thanks Steve
    Alloys - thanks Jay/Colin
    229bhp @0.4 bar (fix to follow)
    New boost solenoid
    Standard dumpvalve - cheers again Steve
    Decat 3"
    291.5 BHP @ 0.9 bar

Legnum VR4 S-spec

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    08-12-2015
    Country
    United States
    Car
    Carless!

When proper time travel is invented (not a fraction of a second by flying to Australia and back!) - when would be the first time jump be to?
    why fix it the right way first time - when excessive swearing can occour when it all goes wrong when you don't?

Now with 5.7 liters of V8 muscle

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    14-10-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Smart fortwo

Quote Originally Posted by sy666 View Post
    PoM what are the limits to your knowledge?
    ah its very limited i make alot this stuff up but word it well to hide the fact

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast