tom
    Last Online
    21-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 Auto

Auto Gearbox Fault code 61 fault

Car has been running fine for months. Yesterday evening used the car for the journey home and the auto gaerbox would only run in second gear with the TCL light flashing.

Limped home, fortunatly not far and ran the pin one diagnostics. Result was code 61, TCL 6 long flashes, 1 short flash, no other errors.

Gear lever position and selected gear lights not showing. I have checked the transmition oil, it's bright red and if anything too full, a bit hard to tell as it is quite runny on the dipstick.

Not made any changed or mods to the car for months, apart from spending the weekend giving a proper clean inside and out, did also reroute my gps sensor cable. I don't think i could have nudged a cable or connector, and the car has been fine for 3 days, but I could have done.

Not managed to find a garage yet that wants anything to do with an autobox problem. Does anyone have ideas as to the problem/solution please.

Tom.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Is the N flashing regularly, or does it have a stored code?

61 on the TCL is an error to do with the A/T ECU, according to the codes list!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    tom
    Last Online
    21-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 Auto

There are no lights on the gear lever position indicator, if you mean N as in neutral flashing. It is just the TCL light flashing.

I have also tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes or so to see if that reset any problem, it did not.

Do you know where the A/T ECU is? Probably worth me checking it for loose or damages connectors.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

The A/T ECU is stacked under the main ECU, and is found under the dashboard between the two front footwells. Where in Sheffield are you?

Name
    tom
    Last Online
    21-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 Auto

Cheers for that, I know for a fact that will be a pain to get at, well worth a try before parting with any cash to a garage though.

Right this second I am at work near the M1 overlooking the old Sheffield airport runway. I live south east sheffield just up the hill from the Abbeydale Road Tesco.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Fault codes 61:
    engine = A/T ECU And Communication Lines (Torque Reduction Request Signal Line) System
    TCL = A/T ECU and the communication system
    Short circuit between ecu's?
    The wost scenario - together may indicate problems with torque converter.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    tom
    Last Online
    21-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 Auto

Had a bit of a dig around and a wiggle of wires, funnily enough it did not fix the problem.

Have got to the ECUs between the front footwells, as far as I can tell there are 3 stacked on each other, top one with green plugs, middle with blue and a single yellow plug in the smaller bottom one.

I am planning on taking them out and having a look, not that I will likely find any easy to spot signs of failure, replacing the unit that is most likely at fault would probably be my first attempt at a fix, does anyone know which one this would be?

Cheers for the help so far, hope to get it back on the road soon, especially now that there is some snow to play in.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Is it possible that your a/t ecu has lost power? The single plug ecu is srs, three plugs is a/t and four plugs is engine.

Assuming that your dash used to display gear selection lights and now it doesn't, i'd be checking fuses and power feeds next. I'm afraid i don't know the location of either offhand though.

Name
    tom
    Last Online
    21-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 Auto

Ah ok, cheers. I have had the engine and a/t ecus out and had a look, nothing obvious as expected. I have removed and done a visual check of every fuse under the steering wheel and by the battery, all looked ok.

Power feed to the ecu could be a possiblity though, I will disconnect the three plugs to the ecu and see if the symptoms are the same.

From there I guess it would be a fun game of trying to trace the fault. If any one knows the location of any other possible fuse that could cause this then I would be very grateful.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

check the fuses as there was an issue like this not long ago and it was the fuse , normal sign for is that it does not power the dash gear indicator

Name
    tom
    Last Online
    21-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 Auto

Just been back, removed the a/t ecu, same sytoms still single error code tcl 61.

Rechecked every fuse that claims to be engine related in the two fuse boxes that I know of with a multimete, all fine.

To clarfiy, every light on the dash works except the gear and lever postition lights, getting more conviced it's the ecu or a secret auto gearbox fuse somewhere that I havn't found yet.

All the wires down there are bundled so tight I think it will be impossible for me to trace the offending wire (if that is the problem) to the source of the fault.

Part number of the ecu is MD761988, going to try and use this thread to see if I can diagnose it any futher.

Name
    tom
    Last Online
    21-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 Auto

Getting closer?

After some fun with the multimeter and the wiring list on http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...VEC-ECU-wiring it would seem that the ecu is getting a 12 volt feed fine through pin 38 but no 5 volt feed through pins 11 and 24 who both mention fuse 5 in their description.

Perhaps it's this fuse 5 that has blown, all I need to do now is find out what and where this fuse is if it exists and hope that gets me back on the road.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

is the 5v not an outbound source for the sensors rather than an inbound ( did you do it with the ignition on ? )

Name
    tom
    Last Online
    21-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 Auto

You might be right, I know some of the 5V feeds are sensors, just to add to the confusion, or possibly solution, I just tested it again, this time with the engine running and couldn't pull a reading of the 12V feed either, pretty sure I did earlier but can't be 100%.

I guess if there is no 12V feed coming in on pin 38 that would explain everything, all I would have to then is figure out why.
    Last edited by wheelnut; 28-11-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Name
    tom
    Last Online
    21-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 Auto

Ok, pretty much convinced my self now that there is simply no power reaching the ecu, the wiring diagram mentions a dedicated fuse. Does anyone one know it's location?

I have tested all the ones I can find.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Have you also checked the ground for the A/T ECU? Pin 26.

Name
    tom
    Last Online
    21-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 Auto

Yep, checked that, both 25 and 26 are grounded.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Pin 72 too?

Name
    tom
    Last Online
    21-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 Auto

Hadn't tested that one, but just did and it's fine, still can't get a reading out 38 though even with ignition or engine on.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Dedicated fuse 4 should be in the under-bonnet fusebox. I have been looking at the OCRed (by davcom1) wiring manual and the closest match therein being the RHD 6A13 with TCL. From the manual, it looks like this is a 10A fuse. In the same manual, dedicated fuse 4 appears to relate to the foglights! I would find that unusual to say the least that this could be shared - but it's got to be worth checking. I've just had a look underneath my fusebox, and fuse 4 (albeit 20A) is for the foglights. Do yours work and/or is the fuse ok?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast