Thread: Boost Measurement?

Last Online
    12-05-2006
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 Legnum VR-4

Question Boost Measurement?

I've just had a Blitz DTT (dual turbo timer digital compact) installed. It is supposed to be a fully automatic timer and calculates the idle time based on the boost reading during driving.

My problem is that the auto part doesn't seem to be working. The DTT can also display the current boost and it always reads 0 so I'm pretty certain that's why the idle time never goes up
    Before I make a dick of myself and go complain.

Does any one know if anything needs to be added to the VR-4 to be able to measure boost? I just presumed that the ECU would know the boost and so the turbo timer could hook into this.

Admittedly I never asked if the timer would work correctly in my Legnum but I'm not going to be very impressed with the sales person if they didn't feel that they should tell me that this >$300 timer is not going to be any better than a $80 one!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    20-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom

The VR4 uses Mass Air Flow rather than a Boost signal, thus the ECU has no idea what boost you are running! :rolleyes5

You could get a boost pressure sensor for ~$50 and hook that in to your inlet manifold and wire it to the turbo timer.........or you could go ape at the salesman!

Name
    Nige
    Last Online
    29-02-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum VR4

You don't need a boost pressure sensor or to go ape at the salesman. You need to TAKE IT BACK TO YOUR INSTALLER!!

There is a very accurate piezo pressure sensor built into the main unit that is hidden under the dash - just look for the 1mm diameter tube that comes out of it, then pipe should go into one of the pipes at the back of your inlet manifold. A 1.5m length of tubing should have been included with the unit.

If this has been done already - (it should have if the install was done properly), then check the pipe for kinks or crimps along its length. The tubing is quite thin-walled so any bend radius below about 50mm should be avoided. I suspect this is where your problem lies.

It's great for ease of install & it's very simple to fit the display unit anywhere you want on the dash. I have one & fitted it myself with no probs, although I did invest $12US in a proper ignition breakout loom so that it could be removed easily at a later date.

PS - it doesn't interface at all with your ECU - it uses the tiny fluctuations in your battery supply to sense the rpm.