shane
    Last Online
    12-05-2013
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Ford Galaxy

snow tires

What size/ brand of snow tires are people fitting? I was looking at kumho 205/55/17 to go on my evo 8 enkeis??

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

225/45/17 Vredestein Wintrac Extreme.....in two-three weeks of snow I've seen a combined 6 bars from the AYC
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    shane
    Last Online
    12-05-2013
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Ford Galaxy

I was looking at those alright, but they're mega bucks!! All the retailers have jacked up their prices

Name
    shane
    Last Online
    12-05-2013
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Ford Galaxy

ordered up the wintracs, knowing my luck all the snow will be gone by the time they're delivered!!

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

You won't regret it.

Name
    Marty
    Last Online
    13-01-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant&GTO TT

I have Toyo Snow Proxes S942 fitted on my Galant 2.0GLS
    They are fitted to all 4 wheels, and have been on there since the last snow in January.
    I drove 55 miles in snow about 1ft deep on sat night. I deliberately kept clear of all the main roads, as I knew they would be blocked with cars.
    I figured that, if I can negotiate the snow, then I can get home....you can do nothing about queue's of cars because of jack-knifed lorries.
    I only had one problem with a very long, steep hill that I had to have 3 attempts at......apart from that it was easy with the snow tyres.
    I still want the 4WD version though.......lol
    Marty

Name
    Alf John
    Last Online
    03-09-2016
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant SW Sport

I am running Nokian Hakkapeliitta R studless tyres atm, 205/50/17 on my original mitsubishi/borbet rims.
    Also have Hakkapeliitta 7 studded tyres for extreme conditions, 15/65/15 on some cheap Mega rims

Nokian is one of the best tires year after year when they get tested here in Norway. They are made for nordic conditions, and therefor very good winter tyres.
    The one and only... Galant with PFL VR4 bumper complete with fogs and Super VR-4 canards in Norway (unless you know otherwise)

Mods done: Eyelids, PFL VR-4 foglights, clear corner indicators and side indicators, VF-4 front strut brace, Custom rear strut brace, cusom "sports" air filter, lowered, custom sound system and Super VR-4 canards

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by LudviG View Post
    I am running Nokian Hakkapeliitta R studless tyres atm, 205/50/17 on my original mitsubishi/borbet rims.
    Also have Hakkapeliitta 7 studded tyres for extreme conditions, 15/65/15 on some cheap Mega rims

Nokian is one of the best tires year after year when they get tested here in Norway. They are made for nordic conditions, and therefor very good winter tyres.
    Is Hakkapeliitta manufactured in Finland?

Name
    Alf John
    Last Online
    03-09-2016
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant SW Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Is Hakkapeliitta manufactured in Finland?
    Yeah

Name
    Anders
    Last Online
    23-10-2020
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR4-19T&Legnum

I have Continental Viking Contact 5 studless (205/55-16) and they are real grippy on snow.
    Nokia winter tyres are good as LudviG said, they have won the tests almost every year, the hakkapelitta 7 studded won this year aswell

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Cool, these snow tyres are completely unfamiliar to me (not much use for them in Auckland). What kind of tyres are these really? Are they like a general snow driving tyre or a performance snow tyre... if there is such a thing?

Name
    Alf John
    Last Online
    03-09-2016
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant SW Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Cool, these snow tyres are completely unfamiliar to me (not much use for them in Auckland). What kind of tyres are these really? Are they like a general snow driving tyre or a performance snow tyre... if there is such a thing?
    General snow driving i guess, but they have higher speed index than many others. The reason i like that is cause in Norway it is mandatory to drive on winter tyres a certain part of the year, but there isn't always snow or ice on the roads during that period. I find these better on "non winter" conditions than many other tyres.

I use the studded tyres for extreme conditions, like very slippery ice with water on top, that is the only condition studless tyres are worse than studded. Also sometimes drive on frozen lakes with some friends, then studded tyres are a must.

I could link to alot of tests, telling you how good these tyres are, but the tests are all in norwegian :S

Name
    Alf John
    Last Online
    03-09-2016
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant SW Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee View Post
    225/45/17 Vredestein Wintrac Extreme.....in two-three weeks of snow I've seen a combined 6 bars from the AYC
    I would really suggest more narrow tyres in wintertime. I think my 205/50/17 are on the limit. Smaller with provide more traction in the snow. If you look at rally drivers driving in snow, they use as narrow as 145.

These are 145/85-16 for rally use:

Ispigg 3.jpg

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

I'd love to drop the size of my tyres down but my brakes make it impossible. The 225/45/17 Vredestein Wintrac Extreme tyres I have fitted are doing me pretty well so far but the brakes and anything else made of metal doesn't like the salt!

Name
    Martin
    Last Online
    16-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee View Post
    I'd love to drop the size of my tyres down but my brakes make it impossible.
    eh? That sounds wrong - do you mean you'd like to change the rims?
    Martin Yates

97 Legnum VR-4 , 02 Mazda 6 (wifey's)

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Quote Originally Posted by martin_y View Post
    eh? That sounds wrong - do you mean you'd like to change the rims?
    No, the problem is I have KADs fitted which means I have the issue of clearance. The current rims are 17x8 and therefore narrower tyres will be stretched, not to mention the fact that if I went to narrower wheels they would be right out to the edge of the car. It just wouldn't look right and I doubt would do it many favours. In 6-8 inches of snow/ice/slush the current ones have been more than good enough, even up the 20%+ gradient on the road outside.

Name
    Lukasz
    Last Online
    08-05-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    galant vr4

hankook snowbear ... got them 4mm used year ago, doing second winter on them - still looking good ... size 205/50/17, tricky thing is that driving on snow u could be better in wider tyres with more pressure in them - something like 36-38 but it wont be good on ice - then u should go for narrow onec with much less pressure - something like 24-26