Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Honda to Mitzi am I doin the right thing?

Name
    Dee
    Last Online
    08-01-2011
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Civic vti mb6

From Honda to Mitzi am I doin the right thing?

Ok I'm from Belfast northern Ireland and organize the countries biggest gap car show! I have been driving hondas all my life but have wanted a vr4 for so long but only just found out that it's cheaper to insure than my vti civic! So the car I'm looking at concerns me it's a 2001 vr-4 type s with 61k on the clock totally standard car! Thing is the guy is only lookin £1500 which seems a bit on the cheap side to me! I'm going to look at it in a few days what should look out for! What are the common problems?

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by deevtec View Post
    Ok I'm from Belfast northern Ireland and organize the countries biggest gap car show! I have been driving hondas all my life but have wanted a vr4 for so long but only just found out that it's cheaper to insure than my vti civic! So the car I'm looking at concerns me it's a 2001 vr-4 type s with 61k on the clock totally standard car! Thing is the guy is only lookin £1500 which seems a bit on the cheap side to me! I'm going to look at it in a few days what should look out for! What are the common problems?
    Hi Dee, welcome to the forums.

Firstly, asking if you're doing the right thing in the club you're planning on buying a matching vehicle for.. of course we're going to say you're doing the right thing (as would any car owners club!) but make sure that you can afford to RUN the car..

You're supposed to service it every 4500 miles, but most of us double that figure in favour of running more expensive fluids (Amsoil is by far the clubs choice of oil). THEN there's the fuel usage, on average expect to get around 100-200 miles per tank depending on whether you're doing inner-city or motorway driving. You have to run the car on higher octane fuel too (Shell V-Power, Tesco Momentum 99 etc).

There aren't many VR-4 specific faults, when you're looking at the car the normal checks apply though, check for creaking / whining etc.

If the car is fitted with AYC (Active Yaw Control, basically an electronically controlled rear diff to counter oversteer / understeer), make sure the AYC system works with no whining / grinding noises, also make sure you can light up all 3 AYC lights (3 green bars immediately underneath the engine RPM needle).

If the car is auto, make sure all the gears select smoothly and quickly, it should take around 1 second to change UP a gear, and about 1-2 seconds to change DOWN, with no banging / sharp changes. Bear in mind if you're doing 50MPH and try to downshift into 1st / 2nd it won't go or it'll take more time.

When things DO go wrong, we have an extensive knowledge-base available to paid up members, and with several members regularly "breaking" VR-4s for parts you can guarantee you won't need to look far

For more information, take a look at the buyers guide here

£1500 sounds like a good price for a facelift Legnum with 61K on the clock
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    mike
    Last Online
    16-05-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

hi,i am no expert on these as i am looking to buy a legunm myself and trying
    to find out as much as poss, all on here have given some sound advice
    the price seems very cheap

Name
    dave
    Last Online
    18-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    350z/Espace

hello and welcome .
    £1.5 k is a good price where abouts is the car ?there maybe members near you that will have a look over it with you .
    Home Audio / Visual and CB HERE

To contact CLUBVR-4 committee or moderation staff click HERE

Name
    brendan
    Last Online
    11-09-2015
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 2.5 twin

hi deevtec....how are you and welcom to the club.

it dose sound a bit cheap for the year/mileage but they are not makeing what they were makeing when i got mine.

if ya want peace of mind i would buy of a member as it would be minded like a small child,and there is a good few for sale in the club at the min.

maby post up a link to the car/pictures and i'm sure some of the more experenced people on here will have great advice bout buying /what to look for!

best of luck

brendan
    still the fastes irish reg VR4 on the nurburgring,april 2010.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Sounds too cheap. Is it an internet sale you can show us? Or is it close to a member willing to look with you?

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

It does sound cheap. I assume it was registered in 2001 (but older) to be that price, rather than actually being a 2001 car? If Ireland is the same as here, I could import a car today & it would show as registered 2011, even if it is a P plater built in 1996. Is there a link to the car?
    Possibly the only VR4 that was driven by the current owner before being registered..... & it's a UK car

Name
    Owen
    Last Online
    06-08-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual/s

Hey dee! Welcome! Theres a few irish ppl on here (incl me)!! Where abouts is this car, i take by the currency its in the UK. As the others have said it seems cheap but there are a couple of members on here who have bought sweet cars for around that price. Main thing you need to make sure whats the service history like. The VR4s may be relatively cheap to buy but the maintanence costs are expensive and need to be done as most cars are over 10 years old, pads n discs (£300), Cambelt (£700), exhaust (£400) etc.

Name
    dan
    Last Online
    13-10-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant Vr-4

welcome along

Name
    Dee
    Last Online
    08-01-2011
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Civic vti mb6

The car is in Belfast as for running it are they really that thirsty ? I only run my hondas on 99 octane as they defo perform better on it! I get roughly 40 miles to £10 ATM in the civic with a few mods so the legnum would possibly only do about 14.5 miles to a tenner is that right?

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by deevtec View Post
    The car is in Belfast as for running it are they really that thirsty ? I only run my hondas on 99 octane as they defo perform better on it! I get roughly 40 miles to £10 ATM in the civic with a few mods so the legnum would possibly only do about 14.5 miles to a tenner is that right?
    I do some fairly spirited inner-city driving and get around 130-140 miles to a tank before the light comes on, at which point it's around 50L or so to fill it up.

At around £67.50 to fill it up at 11.9 MPG that works out around 20 miles to £10 petrol.

Name
    Dee
    Last Online
    08-01-2011
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Civic vti mb6

Wow I didn't think any car was heavier on juice than my old accord lol it done bout 27 to a tenner this has me reconsidering now as the cheapest 99 octane here is £1.30 a liter an that's supermarket crap that I refuse to use other than that it's £1.39 till they put it up AGAIN

Name
    Dee
    Last Online
    08-01-2011
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Civic vti mb6

Name
    Dee
    Last Online
    08-01-2011
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Civic vti mb6

I'm from Belfast that's wrr the car is it's a facelift so quite possibly could be 01 an at oldest it's '00 so I don't know now was just checking out the furl consumption figures an all I can say is scary

Name
    Owen
    Last Online
    06-08-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual/s

Yea they are quite low but they are quick cars. I have found if your just pottering around town in it your usually into the 15-20mpg and motorway is 20-25mpg with a standard car! There are a number of recent threads about fuel consumption on this forum. Just use the search tool.

Dont be put off though, they are fun cars! Had a 200sx s14a before the vr4 and the power is sooooo much better. Is the car your looking at a manual or tip?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Can't tell from the photos, but it could be as old as 1998 from the photos. Still a very good price though! If the seats are red flecked it was built between 1998 and 2000. If not it is newer.

Expect 200 miles from 50 litres. You might get more, but don't buy the car thinking you will get more.

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

It does sound very cheap for a FL. As said before say where it is & I'm sure there will be a member close by who will go have a look see with you.
    The mighty Leedsnum has gone but the Airtrek mods will soon fill this space

How To:Contact Committee or Moderators.

Name
    Dee
    Last Online
    08-01-2011
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Civic vti mb6

It's in Bangor northern iteland

Name
    Dee
    Last Online
    08-01-2011
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Civic vti mb6

Good I really don't know what to do now

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I have merged your two threads together, so it shouldn't be so confusing now!

That does indeed look suspiciously cheap, and could also as said be as early as 1998, when the facelift came in.

Email the seller and ask for the chassis number (will start with EC5W- then will have seven digits), as we can tell you a lot more as regards manufacture date, original options, etc. with that information.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast