Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I spoke with Glenn last night and he was going to fire some questions over to the supplier regarding the results so far from the ones installed , I re did the bleed process on Owen's car today for 15 minutes and it made no difference at all .

So once Glenn gets the answers we may know more

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter_John View Post
    I spoke with Glenn last night and he was going to fire some questions over to the supplier regarding the results so far from the ones installed , I re did the bleed process on Owen's car today for 15 minutes and it made no difference at all .

So once Glenn gets the answers we may know more
    Cheers John

Here are the questions asked to the supplier:

1. Is there any specific requirements with installation of these Lashers?
    2. What type/grade (Weight/Viscosity) (hydraulic/mineral/synthetic/semi synthetic?) of oil are the Lashers packed in for transit.
    3. Does the oil the Lashers come with, need flushing out of them, before fitting to the vehicle.
    4. Do they need to be filled prior to fitment with the oil that the vehicle will be using?
    5. Do you specify a specific oil for us with these Lashers.

Other replacement Lash adjusters have been fitted to these cars. But the problems we are expriencing with the lash adjusters your company has supplied, has not bee experienced with other replacements. Hopefully the answers to the questions i have asked can be answered, and can help with diagnosing the issue with the noise, and them not holding oil pressure when warmed up, and move forward in resolving the issue.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

There answer:

Dear Glenn Daulton,

There is no specific requirement with installation or specific oil of the Lashers.

The problem maybe caused by two things. One is that you should install them in the engine, but not drive he car immediately. Idle the car for 10-20 minutes to eliminate air. Maybe this is the key point of the question. The other is that we use NO.46 hydraulic oil, but they said this is not the key point.

So you can do as they said. If this way also does not work, I will tell them again.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

My answer to their reply:

Thankyou for enquiring to your factory.
    I didn't think there would be any special requirement with installation or specific oil of the lashers. But thought i would ask to ensure that i don't miss something that could be important.
    When the Lashers were installed, they were bled up using Mitsubishis specific requirements from the there service manual.(Not exactly correct, but near enough ) But they do not seem to hold pressure.

One thing i have noticed that is different to the Original Equipment Lash adjuster is the distance that the Lash Adjuster compresses. It only compresses approximately 50%-60% of the original Lash Adjuster. Could this be the problem for them not holding pressure?

I await their reply..

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Ah right Glenn so just to clarify , you have tested the OEM one and it goes compresses further than these new ones by around 50% ( so like 4 mm oem and 2mm uprated ones ) ?

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    26-02-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    LEGNUM TYPE-S

As i don't own a Vr4 JUST YET is tappet noise a problem that will lead to engine problems excuse my ignorance i take it this is a common defect,so when i buy one its not something to worry about right????

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

It's a common issue with many Mitsubishis. It is not a problem with day to day running, except for the embarassing noise!

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    26-02-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    LEGNUM TYPE-S

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    It's a common issue with many Mitsubishis. It is not a problem with day to day running, except for the embarassing noise!
    So like the old Talbot horizon rattle box then lol[oops showing my age now]

Thats ok then just can't wait to own one

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Ah right Glenn so just to clarify , you have tested the OEM one and it goes compresses further than these new ones by around 50% ( so like 4 mm oem and 2mm uprated ones ) ?
    No John ... I was wrong.. The New ones compress the same as the OE 1's.. My mistake..
    Hopefully i will be having the New Lashers fitted to the front bank of my car tomorrow.. I will be in a better position, from 1st hand experience of any issues, to report back to the supplier.

Regards

Glenn

Name
    Owen
    Last Online
    06-08-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual/s

Glenn, are you coming to Eurospec on Saturday, i should be there so you can hear mine, all are fitted.Not sure who else who has fitted theirs is coming. Will be good to compare.

Owen

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Owen87 View Post
    Glenn, are you coming to Eurospec on Saturday, i should be there so you can hear mine, all are fitted.Not sure who else who has fitted theirs is coming. Will be good to compare.

Owen
    My Front Bank are now fitted and running..

On first start up they were clacking like a good un. Approx 15 secs, then they went completely quiet. They have now been idling in the car for 1/2 and hour and have started to tick. 1 to start with with and then 2,3,4 ? I would say 3 or 4 a ticking quite loud now.. The cars going for a spin now !.. I'll report findings after it's run.

Cheers

Wodj

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    06-12-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galaxy
    My Garage
    Visit

This all sounds like bad news chaps, oh for the joys of soild lifters! The problem is not the oil is it so that narrows things down to.... the lifters me thinks
    If you have a problem with getting Amsoil just contact me on 07949 944523 email don@performanceoilsltd.co.uk or web at http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/
    AMSOIL 'The First in Synthetics'

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    Other
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Wodjno View Post
    My Front Bank are now fitted and running..

On first start up they were clacking like a good un. Approx 15 secs, then they went completely quiet. They have now been idling in the car for 1/2 and hour and have started to tick. 1 to start with with and then 2,3,4 ? I would say 3 or 4 a ticking quite loud now.. The cars going for a spin now !.. I'll report findings after it's run.

Cheers

Wodj
    Glenn what was the outcome bud please?

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Hey all.. Sorry for delay.. I've been struck down with D&V, as has the rest of family Wodj
    They didn't get any better.. I took them out, and then reinstalled them again differently. Priming them with new oil.. They again ticked as much as before..

I have studied the new lifters against the 1's in the car. And the only thing i can see that might be making the difference, is the profile of the top of the lasher where the top hole is. I will try and get sime more specific daya and relay this to the manufacturer.

Wodj

Name
    Owen
    Last Online
    06-08-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual/s

I have done around 200 miles since mine were installed. Still sound as rough as ever im afraid!

Glenn, are you heading to Eurospec? will be interesting to see if they sound the same?

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Owen87 View Post
    I have done around 200 miles since mine were installed. Still sound as rough as ever im afraid!

Glenn, are you heading to Eurospec? will be interesting to see if they sound the same?
    No mate i'm not going..
    I have 1 more thing to try.. When i'm up and about i will try it..

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I took the ones out of Kim's car on Sunday and I would say 6 of them had no pressure in them when pressed so the internal check valve may not be functional ?

fitted his old ones back in and some from the original group buy , did the bleed and within 5 mins they were purring like a cat

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

I took the ones out of Kim's car on Sunday and I would say 6 of them had no pressure in them when pressed so the internal check valve may not be functional ?

fitted his old ones back in and some from the original group buy , did the bleed and within 5 mins they were purring like a cat
    I agree John..

I fitted 4 sets to the Front Bank of my car.. Using different techniques each time.
    Filling the Lashers with Fresh oil worked best, but the overall end result was the same.. Tick,Tick, Tack ...

Upon taking them out; i found the same as you John... There just not holding the pressure and draining down. Obviously internally they are not working as they should.. Lash Adjusters are a very basic concept, but has 1 of the finest tolerences of any part in a car (less than 2 microns)

I will raise this with the supplier and see what they say..

Bear with me chaps..

Cheers

Wodj

PS.. When i put the old Lashers back in, i primed them up 1st.. When i started the car, there was no ticking from first start up...

Name
    Owen
    Last Online
    06-08-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    97 VR4 Manual/s

Glenn I know your looking into this, I hope it will work out.

John/ Glenn, question! as you know mine are fitted and sounding very rough, can this cause any damage to the engine if they are not working as they should be? Like should I look to clean em up and replace them with the old ones (providing John still has them...Fingers crossed!!) or should I wait and see what happens with the suppliers?

Not too keen on driving the car at the moment!

Cheers

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

If they are tapping because they are not holding pressure, then I don't think they can really do much damage. Certainly the general belief is that noisy lifters are only a problem for your pride.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast