Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Type V Saloon
    My Garage
    Visit

Question Cambelt

Whilst in the process of searching for my vr4 with Newera the subject of cambelts came up, at the time we were looking at one with about 70,000km/43,500ish miles, i mentioned to Miguel that it would be due for a cambelt change very soon, to which he said that it was not due until 100,000km's but its well over 5 years old i said( it was a 99 model) he replied no its not due until 100,000km.

Anyway i just thought he was getting mixed up with another car and left it at that, when my car did arrive in December last year i had a look through the service book there was lots of stamps and writing with mileage and dates given but no mention of a cambelt change being done (the car has only done about 43,000km/26,700 miles) so i found the translation for cambelt and started looking through the handbook, service book and on the car and this what i came up with.

As you can see the cambelt (red) is not due to be changed until 100,000 kilometres and there is no reference to a period of time as on other items (green)

Would anybody have an idea as to why Mitsubishi UK recommend the belt to be changed after a certain time 60 months i think and Mitsubishi Japan do not, seems a bit odd to me

Thanks
    Mike

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

So it's in line with the UK V6, perhaps?

Interesting find though!

And I hope Miguel is looking after you.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by MYKEY View Post
    but its well over 5 years old i said( it was a 99 model) he replied no its not due until 100,000km.
    Very right so. Cambelts are due to ageing. 5 yrs old is MUST to change regardless of mileage done. Unless Miguel fancy a engine rebuild.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    mark
    Last Online
    09-04-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    MANUAL SUPER

[QUOTE=MYKEY;614432]Whilst in the process of searching for my vr4 with Newera the subject of cambelts came up, at the time we were looking at one with about 70,000km/43,500ish miles, i mentioned to Miguel that it would be due for a cambelt change very soon, to which he said that it was not due until 100,000km's but its well over 5 years old i said( it was a 99 model) he replied no its not due until 100,000km.

Anyway i just thought he was getting mixed up with another car and left it at that, when my car did arrive in December last year i had a look through the service book there was lots of stamps and writing with mileage and dates given but no mention of a cambelt change being done (the car has only done about 43,000km/26,700 miles) so i found the translation for cambelt and started looking through the handbook, service book and on the car and this what i came up with.

As you can see the cambelt (red) is not due to be changed until 100,000 kilometres and there is no reference to a period of time as on other items (green)

Would anybody have an idea as to why Mitsubishi UK recommend the belt to be changed after a certain time 60 months i think and Mitsubishi Japan do not,
    i presume thats a universal sticker mitsi use .or else you have a diesel pajero engine in there[4m40]

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Type V Saloon
    My Garage
    Visit

Ok, so if you ignore the bottom pic and look at the top one which is from my owners manual the question still remains, why is it recommended in Japan that the timing belt be changed at 100,000km and not after any given time,
    unlike in the UK where it is at 45,000 miles (i think) or 60 months

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Type V Saloon
    My Garage
    Visit

"i presume thats a universal sticker mitsi use .or else you have a diesel pajero engine in there[4m40] "

Sometimes wonder if its a diesel with all the tappet noise

Name
    mark
    Last Online
    09-04-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    MANUAL SUPER

bit of a strange one allright,better off getting it done to the uk spec so at least your playing it safe that way

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Type V Saloon
    My Garage
    Visit

Yep i agree, its due to be done asap, but i cant work out why the different set of guidelines ?

Name
    Robert
    Last Online
    25-11-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi B5 RS4

A cambelt can either wear out due to high mileage, or perish due to the rubber degrading. I think Japan has a similar climate to ours, with frosty winters and warm/hot summers, and I doubt the majority of the population will have the luxury of a garage for their cars. But of course they don't use salt on the roads like we do, hence no undersealing, so perhaps their winters aren't as cold as ours?
    A cambelt either fails or it doesn't, you could never bother to change it and you might get away with it, or you could play safe and change it more frequently. It depends how much risk you're willing to take with your engine. If it does fail, it will probably bend some of the valves and necessitate a top-end rebuild; this will be less convenient than regular scheduled services, but it might prove cheaper in the long run.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

You'd need to miss 3-4 cambelt changes to pay for a top end re-build, IMO. You've got to be feeling lucky to go with that!!

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Type V Saloon
    My Garage
    Visit

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Mitsubishi UK service schedule is to be ignored, the thing i don't understand is,
    why Mitsubishi Japan only seem to have the cambelt due for change after a set distance (100,000km) and not after a given time limit just wondered if anybody knew the reason for this ?