Dave
    Last Online
    14-09-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4

video interference

hi guys..just fitted a nice new 9inch screen itno the car.but getting terrible 'flickering' when engine is running,but stops when engine is off....guess i'm picking up interference up from something.....is there anything i can do/purchase to cure this?

rgrds....dave

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I know it can happen with sound, so I guess it can happen with pictures too? For radios you can buy something like this: http://www.quasarelectronics.com/sma...suppressor.htm No idea if that is good for your problem too or not.

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Is this a replacement screen? If so and you're using the same input cable (e.g. VGA) and the old screen had no interference then it will be the screen's power connections or the screen itself. If it's plugged into the lighter socket there's a reasonable chance of signal noise.
    If you know certain components of the system are good then remove the new stuff and test each new component with known working bits until you isolate the problem.
    All components of the system should be grounded at the same point e.g. amps, pc, screen to minimise the possibility of ground loop interference.
    More detailed info will allow someone to advise more specifically.

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyFingers
    '97 Legnum VR-4 type S
    DONE - SARD 530cc injectors, SARD AFPR, FMIC, MAP2-ECU, Ralliart air filter & 'Special' MAF, Magnecor leads, NGK 7s, Polyeurethane engine mounts, New lash adjusters, RPW downpipes, Powerflow 3" full de-cat exhaust, Reconditioned turbos, Bespoke AYC gauge, SARD R2D2 BOV, CarPC with EvoScan, Fusion amp & InPhase sub, EBC Turbo grooved & dimpled brake discs, EBC red & green pads, HKS SuperForm Lowering springs, Hydraulic bonnet dampers, Momo steering wheel, Bespoke wideband AFR/Oil pressure gauge thingy, New wiper blades all round!, Amsoiled... woo hoo!
    Growling out 349ft/lb torque, 296 fly HP @ 0.9 bar

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Agree with the above. Make sure you have a decent quality earth into the cabin from the battery -ve.

Make sure all your audio/video toys are bonded to that earth.

If you're driving your digital screen via VGA, you should try and use the LOWEST clock frequency possible (i.e. 50Hz or 43Hz) and NOT the highest: this provides better noise immunity.
    You may need to knock up a custom VGA cable that "de-couples" the earths. The same is true of composite and component video.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    14-09-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve View Post
    Agree with the above. Make sure you have a decent quality earth into the cabin from the battery -ve.

Make sure all your audio/video toys are bonded to that earth.

If you're driving your digital screen via VGA, you should try and use the LOWEST clock frequency possible (i.e. 50Hz or 43Hz) and NOT the highest: this provides better noise immunity.
    You may need to knock up a custom VGA cable that "de-couples" the earths. The same is true of composite and component video.
    cheers steve....completely bafled me now.......pmsl..........thanx for all your info guys,it's a stand alone monitor running from my dvd h/unit.....using same switched live and earths as h/unit...had another play today,and is now not displaying the picture at all...although it is powering up fine ...tested a few other video cables to see if that was the cause....but no success...now suspect output from h/unit.....

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

Could also be Electromagnetic interference from running the cables past an electrically noisey device.

Easy things to check.

1) Direction of cables from headunit to screen. If you just run them direct or move the cables, does the interference change?
    2) It could be a noisey voltage input - the dvd player will have a filter built in. Does your screen have a decent filter in-line on the cable??
    3) Ground loops, unplug the signal input and power the screen, start the engine. Do you still get flicker? If you dont then its possibly from your signal cable, if you do then its power filtering.

You can buy a 12v switching psu for ICE and these will filter input noise which could be an option???
    Last edited by orionn2o; 30-03-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: bad spelling
    '97 EVO 4 GSR

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    14-09-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by orionn2o View Post
    Could also be Electromagnetic interference from running the cables past an electrically noisey device.

Easy things to check.

1) Direction of cables from headunit to screen. If you just run them direct or move the cables, does the interference change?
    2) It could be a noisey voltage input - the dvd player will have a filter built in. Does your screen have a decent filter in-line on the cable??
    3) Ground loops, unplug the signal input and power the screen, start the engine. Do you still get flicker? If you dont then its possibly from your signal cable, if you do then its power foltering.

You can buy a 12v switching psu for ICE and these will filter input noise which could be an option???

cheers matt....i'll have another look..........but,if i unplug the video cable h/unit output to monitor input connection the monitor goes off...........

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

ahh thats a pain !

Name
    Dave
    Last Online