Thread: Is this is worth to looking closer/buy, wideband sensor.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Is this is worth to looking closer/buy, wideband sensor.

During my process to LPG conversion and studying lots of forums I go through this site http://www.14point7.com/SLC-Pure-Plus-2.php and I got the question for you boys and girls, is this worth the money? it is could be worth alternative to other wideband controllers ?
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

I've got the earlier version of this and it does the job though the narrowband emulation doesn't work on mine
    With LPG wouldn't you need to have the wideband switch from LPG to petrol calculations for AFR? Having it set to one or the other will mean that the numbers look dodgy when you switch fuels though you could learn to relate the two. A bit like your speedo reading in kmh and you 'knowing' what your approx speed is in mph.
    The SLC units can be easily changed to calculate AFR for different fuels through the supplied software plus a system reset but, like all the others, it isn't automatic or auto sensing.
    '97 Legnum VR-4 type S
    DONE - SARD 530cc injectors, SARD AFPR, FMIC, MAP2-ECU, Ralliart air filter & 'Special' MAF, Magnecor leads, NGK 7s, Polyeurethane engine mounts, New lash adjusters, RPW downpipes, Powerflow 3" full de-cat exhaust, Reconditioned turbos, Bespoke AYC gauge, SARD R2D2 BOV, CarPC with EvoScan, Fusion amp & InPhase sub, EBC Turbo grooved & dimpled brake discs, EBC red & green pads, HKS SuperForm Lowering springs, Hydraulic bonnet dampers, Momo steering wheel, Bespoke wideband AFR/Oil pressure gauge thingy, New wiper blades all round!, Amsoiled... woo hoo!
    Growling out 349ft/lb torque, 296 fly HP @ 0.9 bar

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

That is all new for myself, basically I am looking for wideband just to make sure I don't run lean, LPG ECU allow me to set various figures to get right (or wrong) AFR but on just standard lambda sensor reading /set up will be very basic like lean/normal/rich, after market sensor give me better figures to play with.

It is not AFR figures should be the same regardless of fuel in use?? sorry if this sounds daft but like I say its all new for me.

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

The AFR is the ratio of the mass of air to the mass of fuel so it's just the result of a mathematical formula. Different fuels will have different densities and different burning properties so this is what will result in varying ranges of what is lean or rich for a particular type of fuel.
    Under the same engine operating conditions different values will be displayed depending on the type of fuel as each fuel will have a different 'number' for the AFR when burned at the particular fuel's most efficient rate - generally 14.7:1 for petrol and 15.5:1 for LPG I think.
    So you could leave a wideband set as it comes and 'know' that, when on LPG, anything higher than 15.5 is getting lean and anything below 15.5 is getting rich.
    I don't know what the practical range of LPG AFRs are so it may not be as simple as saying that 17.2 is safe for example (arbitrary number of no specific significance).
    The question is how rich is rich and how lean is lean (what's the acceptable range) when using LPG and this is what you need to determine to get any value out of the wideband.
    Another example of what I'm trying to get at is that with a diesel engine the AFR can range from a very low figure (less than 10) up to 40 or so. Engine setup is totally different I grant you but it highlights the differences in fuels.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Thanks for great explained about AFR, looks like I was in the dark side about this, now going to find how stoich AFR should looks like on LPG.

After reading A LOT about some LPG powered 500 hp cars could running really well for close to half price of refuelling I personally trying to join this happy people, like in the old days when my CRX doing 17MPG, but on petrol station you don't start crying when look on this bloody counter (60 pence/l)

And yes you exactly right, stoich AFR on LPG is 15,5 ,just confirmed by lads from lpgforum, on step forward

Here is few charts about AFR's

Last edited by adaxo; 17-04-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: more info find

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Can anybody point me in right direction about AFR sensor/kits, yes I know is a lot about this here but market is still developing new toys hence my question for you guys, what is at the moment best to buy?. Basically what I'm after is sensor plus gauge to help me with proper/safe LPG system set up.

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

If you want something simple just to display AFR then the PLX stuff is easy to connect and setup but someone else might care to comment on changing the lambda calculation on these to reflect LPG lean/rich indications. With the 14point7 it's done via PC software and the USB port.
    Also if it's just for display (not simulating narrowband) then just weld a bung in the exhaust to screw in the additional wideband sensor instead of replacing it and having to mess about with wiring it up.

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyFingers

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

BTW my unit appears to have a firmware problem which is why the narrowband sim doesn't work. The only resolution to this is returning it to Canada to be reprogrammed. Something to consider with 14point7. As mine is now integrated in the dash this is not an option for me. If ordering this then a note telling the seller to ensure the latest firmware is on it should prevent the problem I have.

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyFingers

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

I have always used the Innovate LC-1 and LM-1.. I have never had any issues with these units, though others on here have. I know other members on CVR4 that run the LC-1 that have had no issues whatsoever..
    Innovates support on their forums, is in my eyes, 2nd to none..

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

Wodj