Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Snooper vs road angel

Thinking of either the Snooper neo 4 or new Road Angel.
    Was impressed when I saw Neo 4 working in anger in another car. Some now comment that New Road Angel is even better all be it a little more expensive.
    Have to say the cost is not the issue - just want some comments on performance and features between the two.

Name
    James
    Last Online
    15-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Old VR4 Owner

I've had the Snooper S4 for 6 months now and I'm very pleased with it. It's not got the extra Radar detector, but I think HJM bought this element too, maybe they can elaborate on it's effectiveness.

Been past a camera van in it and it didn't even murmur, but then I don't know whether or not it was pointing at me at the time. I don't use it as to feel more immune, just simply to ensure I get a "reminder" when I'm approaching a Gatso if and when I disappear into "la-la" land.

The download is fairly painless on the S4 too, and you can do it as often as you like. It seems fairly accurate too, but there has been one camera that it hasn't spotted yet. You can do your own uploads with the S4 too, but despite doing this on the camera I found in Congleton, I haven't had it downloaded to me officially yet.

It costs about £225-250 if you find the right places. Mine was got through a friend of my boss, but I saw many deals on the web that didn't cost that much more than mine.

The downloads option costs £3.95 a month (direct debit), but it's free for the first 6 months.

The thing I like about the Snooper is the way it pairs together the SPECS cameras (the average speed ones you often see at motorway roadworks), but I'm sure others do this too.

Last Online
    06-10-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnumvr4

Hi Andy I have the new road angel which is excellent imo. It has everything the s4 has and more, its gps and has built in 360 laser detection without add-ons, although unlike the S6 you cannot add the laser diffuser. It covers all the bands and all camera types and only alerts you in the direction the camera operates.It is also very sensitive to laser splatter from a long distance- very handy on the motorway! Also if you want verbal warnings it has soft male voice and not the irritating condescending female voice that the snooper has :rolleyes5 Altho this like most options can be turned off. 6months subscription for downloads come with yr initial purchase, the only thing is you have to download their sftware from the site first, but after that very simple to upgrade as often as you wish then £35 p/annum after.Also comes with a sticky back magnetic base so no telltale holders left on yr dash. So far I cannot fault it.
    cheers

Nick

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Thanks for your comments. With regard to the actual laser diffuser, am I right in thinking that this is the part that will be illegal and if detected in use they'll nobble you for using that bit even if they don't get your speed

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

In defence of the S4 Neo, take a look at this chart for more info: http://www.snooper.co.uk/which.htm

If you look at the differences the Road Angel does not have Radar detection whereas it's an option on the S4. The only thing the RA has extra is road information. Nick mentioned it only alerts you regarding the cameras in the direction you are travelling, the S4 does this and also the opposite direction too if required - your choice.

Overall, both are excellent and worth every penny.....just the extra pennies are quite a bit more for the RA. Either one will serve you well.

Last Online
    06-10-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnumvr4

Quote Originally Posted by spirit979
    In defence of the S4 Neo,

Overall, both are excellent and worth every penny.....just the extra pennies are quite a bit more for the RA. Either one will serve you well.
    Dont get me wrong , I was not rubbishing the snooper they are very good but I was trying to put overall the best points for me of the road angel. But having said that all the magazine reports I have read lately favour the new Road Angel as being slightly better at the moment.

Name
    James
    Last Online
    15-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Old VR4 Owner

Quote Originally Posted by nick-f1
    not the irritating condescending female voice that the snooper has :rolleyes5
    You're not wrong, mate, "Over speed limit, please slow down"

"Shut up, shut up, shut up!"

Going to set mine to 120 on the track tomorrow and then we'll see what she has too say for herself

Andy, the Snooper S4 has the 360 degree laser diffuser too, but I can't vouch for it's effectiveness, "she's" not parped up about anything like that whilst I've been driving. Apart from the odd..."Warning! High risk zone" in a posh accent.

Last Online
    19-09-2005
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 type S

I have a NEW Road Angel on order at the moment.

I'll let you know how it performs

Last Online
    11-01-2008
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    Legnum VR4 1998

My Snooper S6-R neo just arrived today :boing3:

I will put it in my car tomorrow and go in search for speed (I mean 'safety') cameras... then let you know if I still have a license or not!!

Seriously though, I have to travel 30 miles on the same road each day and there is a sneaky camera van in various locations 2 or 3 times a week on this particular road (I'm still waiting for that letter ) and it will be interesting to see how accurate it is

Last Online
    19-09-2005
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 type S

Thumbs up So far so good

I can not comment on the Snooper as I have never used one, but the New Road Angel has been doing well so far.

It has been in the car a week now and I have tested all the functions on other than the congestion alerts.

Black spots - semi useful, and alerted me of areas where I live I never knew about. When I actually thought about it, these areas made sense too.

Speed cameras - Spotted all but one. The biggest test for Gatsos was round the M25 at the M3/M4 section. The Gastos are constantly being moved as the layout of the roads changes. Spotted every one and the layout has changed once in this period of ownership It dedicated a sneaky traffic cop with a laser gun on the M3 too. :bobby: However, it did not pick up a mobile speed camera unit this morning though

Program - The good thing about this bit of kit is that you can map problem known areas to the device to. But is this useful? I know where the problem zones are already, but do others get informed if I report it?

Synchronisation - Just unplug the unit on connect it via USB to your PC and hey presto, your fully updated. Do this once a week and you should be fully covered.

Setting up was fairly easy. The installation of the unit to the car is a doddle. The challenge factor is 1 out of 1,000. My dog could do it. However, the installation of the software onto the PC could be problematic for some. Download the software from the Blackspot website and click run. But it's not as easy as that. You've got to ensure the device drivers are set up correctly. The installation manual available from the Blackspot website is excellent and is a must. Without it, you'll not get your Road Angel working.

The registration screen keeps appearing on the unit itself every time you power it up until you register via the website; wait 24 hours and then download the first update. Then the registration screen does not appear. The first download took about 10 minutes and I use a 1meg DSL service. Lots of info then???

So, I would give this 4 out 5 for now. Perhaps I'll add another review in a couple of months or so.

Last Online
    19-09-2005
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 type S

That black spot

Well I never....

That black spot I mentioned I never knew about had a major pile up on it last night.

Looked serious too. Paramedics, fire and rescue, the fuzz and The AA???

So I could say that the New Road Angel WILL bring about my attention when ever it mentions black spots.

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    1990 Galant GTi 4WD

I can get new Road Angels for £300 id anyone's interested ?

Japmetal@clubvr4.com
    "It's not a Ford - The doors FIT !"

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Quote Originally Posted by Japmetal
    I can get new Road Angels for £300 id anyone's interested ?
    Is that the new Road angel 2 ??

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    1990 Galant GTi 4WD

Not sure, off the top of my head; what's the difference ?

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

As far as I know it's a better spec and a new facia/interface

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    1990 Galant GTi 4WD

From a quick google search, I think they're RA 2's - they are the same oval shape [black with silver face], detect the same stuff and light up to alert you to something

I can find out for sure tommorrow - 3 in stock to start, with as many more as people want in a few days :-D

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Ok I'll see what you post tomorrow

Last Online
    23-11-2009
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    1990 Galant GTi 4WD

They are the New Road Angel [doesnt say anything about '2' but I was underthe impression they're the latest thing when we got them in !] they are the exact same spec as this;

Road Angel

Last Online
    20-04-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart vr4 estate

japmetal are these still available for £300?