Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

"BOOST LIMITATION SETTING:

Boost limitation setting is to prevent excess boost pressure which may damage engines or turbochargers. When the boost is over the boost limitation setting the boost value will then return to default automatically.

The boost limitation setting knob is in the back of the control box. Please use a screw driver to turn the knob counter clock wise to decrease boost limitaion while clockwise to increase. When the boost limitaion is set, press BOOST 2 button to confirm setting."

Is this definately set correctly? Have you tried the knob at about half way between min and max? Counter clockwise = lots of boost, clockwise = wastegate pressure as I understand the above.

On the solenoid is there a bleeder hole and is this free from obstruction? As it's a 2 port solenoid there must be a hole somewhere to allow the boost pressure to bleed out of the system when the solenoid is in the closed state.

If you can't find anything obviously wrong then contact the seller just in case there is something stupid that's been missed, because others may have had the same problem.
    '97 Legnum VR-4 type S
    DONE - SARD 530cc injectors, SARD AFPR, FMIC, MAP2-ECU, Ralliart air filter & 'Special' MAF, Magnecor leads, NGK 7s, Polyeurethane engine mounts, New lash adjusters, RPW downpipes, Powerflow 3" full de-cat exhaust, Reconditioned turbos, Bespoke AYC gauge, SARD R2D2 BOV, CarPC with EvoScan, Fusion amp & InPhase sub, EBC Turbo grooved & dimpled brake discs, EBC red & green pads, HKS SuperForm Lowering springs, Hydraulic bonnet dampers, Momo steering wheel, Bespoke wideband AFR/Oil pressure gauge thingy, New wiper blades all round!, Amsoiled... woo hoo!
    Growling out 349ft/lb torque, 296 fly HP @ 0.9 bar

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi Alan,

Craig (Sabre) is currently out testing it, he's removed a screw from the solenoid that is probably the bleeder hole, he's set the boost limitation to 1.0 Bar and has his boost set a little lower I believe, I'm not 100% sure if that applies but you could be onto something.
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    craig
    Last Online
    26-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant vr4 s

ok update yet again the puzzle gets deeper hmmmm.

right everything is set correctly and i know the ebc and solenoid are working as they should, ive had the whole system hooked up to a compressor today and it holds boost and reads correctly, the safteys kick in and the solenoid clicks like mad when the safety pressure gets hit, the solenoid also vents at the set pressures you can hear it expelling the air. so its not the ebc at all.

next thing i did was hook up the compressor on to the actuator pipes and both actuators open and close and no visible leaks at all on that system.
    then hooked the compressor upto the plenum pipe with the boost gauge and boost sensor on no leaks and the gauge was reading the pressure and the ebc controller was reading the pressure aswell so that side of things is ok.

next hooked up boost gauge on the out tap of the ebc solenoid it read 0 nothing not even at 0.4bar. so the solenoid never opened, then placed boost gague on the in tap of the solenoid and again reads 0 absolutely nothing going into the solenoid now i hear you all scream blocked pipe well checked that and blowing and sucking down pipe by mouth the pipe wasnt blocked. but found that the supplied silicon hose was very soft at this point by being warmed up from the engine so thought ok ill put the original pipe back on to the in tap of the ebc solenoid just incase it was that pipe that was being crushed by the pressure for whatever reason, i ahvent been out with it yet with the original pipe back on but will let you know once ive been out.

seems the issue is the car isnt building pressure on the red painted pipe on the intake elbow hmmmmm so ill report back very soon. also find attatched the pics of the ebc solenoid, i have phoned epracing they said there was a retaining screw on the solenoid which needed screwing out it is screwed out and if you push in and turn it locks in and locks the solenoid off so its not that. there is a vent port above one of the connectors you will see that in the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sabreuk; 10-06-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    UBIQUE
    EVERYWHERE

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Hang on a minute. Have you always got 0.4 BAR/7 PSI even before the EBC was put in? If so then rightly start looking for problems with your car and not the EBC.

Name
    craig
    Last Online
    26-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant vr4 s

The ebc has always read 0.4bar since it's been I'n, the boost gauge has never been above 7-8psi since I've had the gauge fitted never investigated it due to normal boost being around 7-8psi on a facelift or so I'm told. It's only now this issue has arisen since I can't increase the boost values.

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Stock boost pressure is about 8.7 PSI / 0.6 BAR IIRC. The .7 is important here because it is not 8 PSI nor is it 9 PSI. A boost gauge may show 8 PSI or 9 PSI and both would be inaccurate. Measuring pressure in BAR will allow easier comparisons to be made because we're running little turbos where 0.1 BAR does make a difference and may be disregarded by a gauge depending on if it is programmed to round up or down to the nearest whole PSI. e.g. 0.48 BAR could be shown as 7 PSI whilst 0.6 BAR could be shown as 8 PSI, who knows? However, with our cars there is a huge difference between 0.48 & 0.6 BAR (the difference between potentially sick and nice and healthy).

When mine was standard (PFL auto) I was getting 7.98 PSI / 0.55 BAR. However, my turbos were in need of replacement then.
    7-8 PSI is 0.48-0.55 BAR so if you were getting 7-8 then it is still lower than stock and this is assuming the gauge is accurate. It could be under or overreading.
    I assume the boost gauge was put in before the EBC and thus you've been running at 0.48-0.55 BAR (7-8 PSI) before the EBC was in. Now with the EBC in, the car is running 0.4 BAR (5.8 PSI or thereabouts) reading from the same boost gauge pre and post EBC install. If this is correct then something has happened with the car since you put the EBC in or the EBC is not connected correctly or the EBC is faulty. It must be one of these things surely. So far it seems you've eliminated the EBC being connected correctly and are on your way to determining that the EBC setup is sound. Keep on going!

Name
    craig
    Last Online
    26-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant vr4 s

yes mate the gauge was put in before ebc i know the gauge is accurate as it came out of my hilux and the readings were spot on on that, i realy dont think the ebc is at fault im running out of ideas now on what to check surely there cant be a lot left, i still havent been out yet to see if that other vac pipe has made any difference think im gona have to start going down the road of compression testing etc

Name
    dave
    Last Online
    18-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    350z/Espace

Quote Originally Posted by sabreuk View Post
    The ebc has always read 0.4bar since it's been I'n, the boost gauge has never been above 7-8psi since I've had the gauge fitted never investigated it due to normal boost being around 7-8psi on a facelift or so I'm told. It's only now this issue has arisen since I can't increase the boost values.
    facelift should be running 0.8 bar (11.6psi) in standard form which would surely mean you had boost issues to begin with before the ebc.
    Home Audio / Visual and CB HERE

To contact CLUBVR-4 committee or moderation staff click HERE

Name
    craig
    Last Online
    26-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant vr4 s

ok dave i wasnt aware of that i thought 7-8psi was normal doh! got a couple of other checks im doing tomoz then after that im all out of ideas. ill let ya know how it goes and if i figure it out,

Name
    craig
    Last Online
    26-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant vr4 s

Finaly figured it out

well heres the video of the problem. at long last all i got to do now is go check check what boost im getting on standard solenoid again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU_sLVHxguA

Name
    craig
    Last Online
    26-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant vr4 s

Final thoughts

right jerry final thoughts on this ebc, well first off the design and principal was a good one a nice easy ebc to install and setup, cheapish price £147 with postage, mine was the 11th to be sold in the uk.

REALITY

installing was easy following the links on here, getting it running fairly easy, setting up was lack of a better word ****!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the instructions were crap and the setup process was misleading as ive found out how its actualy setup which ill go through in a min.

build quality again lack of a better word **** also, the control box was not very strudy, near the end a connector on said box fell out leaving the exposed pins behind, the connectors were tiny and fiddly to get in.
    the solenoid had a retaing screw on the side which had to be screwed in to work the solenoid, took 3 days to figure that out
    supplied silicon hose was not to bad and upto the job but maybe not in the galoons engine bay with the heat found my pipes to be very soft after being heated up.
    now the brunt of it operating it hmmmmmmm.

if you have followed this thread from start to finish then you can see ive had nothing but issues with it from day 1.
    once the screen/controller is up and running the instructions state to set the boost limitation via the knob on the control box did that easy then to set boost 1 and 2 which is in percentage values not pressure values as originaly thought with a bit of running around to find required levels well ball thats not exactly true.

you set the safety limitation to the desired value in my case i set it to 1bar that bit is easy but the percentage values it states is the percentage of that safety setting so when i said mine was at 8 and 13 that meant 8 and 13 percent of the bar safety value grrrrrrrr figured that out today so you have to work out for example that 60% of 1 bar is around the 7-9psi mark so i had mine set at 8% which was 8%of that 1 bar so i was never going to get near the desired levels by the instructions,

well refitted the thing after i made the video and also found out the bloddy t piece supplied had one of the ends blocked ie the t bit hadnt been drilled out hence why the solenoid and sensor wasnt working together on the compressor grrrrrrrrrrr well used new tpiece and hey guess what it still never worked.

originaly on tick over the screen was saying -0.8 and then went to 0.4 and never got higher this was down to said t piece used on the solenoid side of the installation as the sensor was on the plenum with a different tpiece and the boost gauge. so why did it not overboost and show up on the gauge?????? still havebt figured that yet but working on it.
    anyway refitting and the screen went from -0.8 to 0.0-0.1 at tickover hmmmm back to qaulity again ****. well tried it didnt get out of 1st gear and the whistles and bells on the ebc went off boost gauge got to around 4psi before i gave up so tried several attempts with different settings and i still couldnt get out of 1st gear before the alarms went off so sod it its now out and its staying out, gona speak to epracing monday ref refund and get a better boost controller something along the lines of the hdi d thing, so ill give that a go and post the results of that once ive got it. one thing i have noticed today also is i have a lot of condensation coming out my exhaust which ive never had before ive done all the usual checks and nothing seem untoward yet but if there is i know a certain company that is going to foot the bill.

well overall a shocking waste of time energy and money along with fuel imo made myself look a tit in the process of this thread but its come good in the end and my toof ache is subsiding but still gota get that out finding the dentist has lost my xrays which i had done last friday grrrrrrrrrrrr anyways.

THANK YOU for all the help, advice, concerns, abuse giggles, etc that everone has contributed to this thread and hope that if you give this product a go then good luck.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

What a waste of time, I am really stunned how much patience you got to play with that, hope you got your money returned without any problems and get something better. I'm glad that you try that EBC and give all of us detailed info about it so we know what to avoid. THANKS
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    craig
    Last Online
    26-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant vr4 s

pleasure mate, gona phone epracing monday ref refund

Name
    John
    Last Online
    21-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum

I know you have had problems with this one but I cannot believe a company would put put this product into production without extensive research and testing so before everyone writes it off as useless lets wait and see what they come up with. On the face of it, it does appear to be an effective, competitively priced product and it would be a shame to write it off due to one faulty one.
    Proverbs 20:29

Name
    craig
    Last Online
    26-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant vr4 s

i agree john and there is very few of them being used at this time as i said mine was the 11th to be sold, however if they are they same qaulity as mine then send it back asap. mine was shocking. also depo is fairly small jap company in tuning world they specalise in gauges mostly and this is there 2nd incarnation of a boost controller, looking at there website it looks plush granted but very little info about them anywhere. not even on youtube except the odd gauge.so they maybe just started out and going through qaulity control issues as being a newish company. if anybody else gets one then fair play let us know the results.

http://www.deporacing.com/product.php?type=A
    Last edited by sabreuk; 12-06-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Name
    craig
    Last Online
    26-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant vr4 s

well i have spoken to epracing and today and leon is happy to give me a full refund, he is also sending my ebc back to depo in japan and he also wanted an email to send off to depo aswell, i sent the email stating the issues i had with it and he sent this email back to me which i thought was rather nice. epracing themselfs seem to be a realy good helpful company whom i realy dont have an issue with and would recommend them from the service ive had from them so ill wait out for the reply from depo and see what comes of it, ill keep you all informed as i find anything out. heres the email he sent to me attached below cant realy say farer than that.

HI craig

Many thanks for the Email, I will pass this to the manufacture and see what they say regarding to this. I know when we first got the item the instructions are not perfect but the drift guys we deal with seem to manage to installed them ok and the feedback we got from them are ok. Because with new product like this we always use the those cars to test the products and if they had problems with it then we would usually consult the manufacture about it, but at the moment this is the first one we had problem with as the other 6 that was sold and installed are still working as far as I know, But I will email those customers and see if they have had any problems and let you know.

I will forward your email to the manufacture and also I will send your one back to them so they can see if there is any problem with the system and see what their result will be.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and I will let you know when we have the reply from them.

Best Regards
    Leon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123