14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Techies may be along to give their knowledge and experience but for now, from me, as a Mental Health Nurse working in addictions...

Quality panel filter - K&N ? - gives better air flow than std filter but needs to be in std air box to maintain air flow for thingy whatsit to work properly

My saloons and estates have all been std performance - no alteration to boost/remap

Improved brakes and suspension before power - but never did anything to increase power

There will be a number of threads on CVR4 about what changes/mods to do to your car and in which order...

Search and see what we all have said...

Name
    neal
    Last Online
    30-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1998 legnum vr4

to be honest now chris now i've done some reading it's starting to give me a head ache!

obviously with me being paralyzed from the neck down i wouldn't be doing the work on the car it would be my mates & to be honest i wouldn't trust em they talk a good talk but i think all this would be too much.
    So i think i'm just gonna send it somewhere to have it done! it's gonna cost me an arm & leg but there we go!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Where are you Neal...?

If you can 'send' it to one of our resident techies or a CVR4 trusted workshop - EURO 2000 - then you should have no worries and at a reasonable cost...

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

this is external factory gates,works fine and does not affect much performance but trust me it is loud,eorse than a tractor without exhaust revving at 7k rpm

below are pics of my external gates plumback(optionally removeable) and the Fujitsubo System with a HKS Super Drager tip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    10-04-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    COTY

no offence dude but if your paralysed from the neck down, surely its a pain getting in any car!! so you may as well lower the vr to its knees, then at least itll look good when your finally in it

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    13-08-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2000 VR4 Leg MT

Doing some of these modifications you are wanting to do cost big $$$. I wouldn't rush into anything and take your time researching parts and reading this forum well.

Name
    Graham
    Last Online
    01-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ford Mondeo 2.2

About 20 members have a headache as well!!!!!

Name
    Terry
    Last Online
    06-02-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2003 Blue rx8

Quote Originally Posted by coney View Post
    so whats the difference between the std filter & a panel filter?

what bhp is yours running at & what have you had done to it?

cheers chris
    this is an example of a pod filter.
    http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoser...57930_full.jpg

this is a example of a factory air filter box.
    http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoser...37024_full.jpg

most are suggesting you replace the factory airfilter with a aftermarket air filter ( good brand name not cheap ) that resides inside the factory "box" air filter .

does that help?

day dreaming of 13b's , huge ports and suicide doors, and a few other things too I cant say here.

Name
    Terry
    Last Online
    06-02-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2003 Blue rx8

Quote Originally Posted by coney View Post
    to be honest now chris now i've done some reading it's starting to give me a head ache!

obviously with me being paralyzed from the neck down i wouldn't be doing the work on the car it would be my mates & to be honest i wouldn't trust em they talk a good talk but i think all this would be too much.
    So i think i'm just gonna send it somewhere to have it done! it's gonna cost me an arm & leg but there we go!
    if its going to cost you an arm and a leg you wont be missing them will you

but seriously..

as you are not going to be driving and i assume its your friends/family that will be doing the driving. why not get some subtle mods and some phat looks ( body kit, rims and ice etc ).
    then enjoy the cruise its going to provide. or as i just had a thought. Import a legnum from japan thats hard the hard work done to her. if you are going to spend that kind of monies why not get a import thats had it all done and maybe then some?
    plenty of legnum vr4's for sale in japan, and it may well be cheaper too.. or better yet same price and you end up with more.

Name
    neal
    Last Online
    30-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1998 legnum vr4

Hey chris i'm in sheffield mate, i'm a bit dubious about sending cars places cause of what happened to my golf when i sent it down london for a new supercharger fitted the guy had it over a year cost me 5k + & this is how i got it back! no offense to anybody on here at all i'm not strokes taring anybody on heere with the same brush it's just made me a bit paranoid.
    When you said 2000 euro what was that for chris? cheers mukka.

Hi vr4wgn it looks like a lot of work pal, have you got any videos of it?

Pugme no not every car is a pain to get into my mobility cars that i've had in the past like my rover 25,astra ect but my mates renault 5 T was a nightmare i smashed my head on dash it looked my legs were gonna snap lol.

low_vr4 i'm not gonna rush pal i do have a tenendsy to jump in with both feet lol but not this time i've got to try & restrain myself.

Oggie yeah thats easier to understand cheers!

Your right i don't need arms or legs lol, i know what your saying about just sorting the looks out & ice but i want it to look standard plus if i import there's no guarantee with the parts if you know where i'm coming fro

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Neal, there are some really good people on here and trusted to do whatever work you wanted and return car in condition that you expect

Nick Mann Services at Redditch

Eurospec2000 at Guildford - will do work on ECU as well

Both are regularly used and praised by CVR4 members and owners...

Decide what you want doing and then contact one of them to discuss your preferences and sort purchases of spares and lubricants etc...

If you want help getting car to them then it can be sorted...

Another place used by a number of people has been AP Motors at Plymouth - maybe too far...
    Last edited by chris g; 09-06-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Name
    neal
    Last Online
    30-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1998 legnum vr4

hi chris i do believe you that there are descent honest folk here it's just that one bad experience makes you think about things abit more.

There all a descent run aren't they, the thing is as well is i don't know exactly what i want doing to the car with different people saying different things eg the pod filters drain power or having 2 external wastegates can't keep the boost up.
    Other things like which exhaust to go for like one person said the Fujitsubo System was the best in his opinion but other places have said blueflame.

So i'm quite confused lol.

Also one of my mates had a mugen crx he took that to batley turbo centre now called well lane turbo center ( http://www.well-lane.co.uk/1/welllaneturbocentre.htm) can you remember a program called reverend bob or something like that it used to come on men & motors, thats where the competition's were held! have a look at the site & let me know what you think.

cheers chris!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Neal

I know of Well Lane Turbo Centre but never used it although a few people I know have done so and no criticism but...

You are better off taking car to people familiar with the VR-4 - Nick Mann is closest to you - put aside past bad experience

Re modifying your car - what do you want?

A louder, different sounding car? - exhaust is one route and change BOV - maybe listen to sound of other members cars with differing exhaust and BOV's

Do you want more power or better handling?

Improved brakes and tyres?

I would suggest you consider, if required, getting car a full service and thinking about what you want...

Then decide which bits to change and in which order

My view would be - fullest possible service (? cambelt and associated bits) including all filters and with AMSOIL lubricants - new tyres - change pads - brake fluid

But you have to decide what YOU want to change - decide after that what brand/price/priority...

Get used to car running smoothly and appreciate its qualities then consider major changes

Bigger wheels - Evo wheels and bigger brakes - Brembos, K-Sport, KAD...

UK Stainless steel exhaust? but not too big - sports decat? - easier than decat at MoT time

? Lowered suspension but not too much - Tein springs and Bilstein shock absorbers

If pre-facelift model then you may be able to get ECU modified/changed for increased power and better fuel consumption

Buying aftermarket bits from Japan now will be expensive...

Read what other people say and have done, but on here, like most clubs and families, we have hundreds of members/owners and thousands of opinions...
    Last edited by chris g; 10-06-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Name
    neal
    Last Online
    30-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1998 legnum vr4

I think first off is to get a good full service, then i'm gonna speak to nickmann to see he thinks about some ideas i've got!
    I do want some nice deep dish alloys & at the same time get some new breaks & pads.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Good idea - get fullest possible service the decide what to change...

Bigger alloys may have implications for brakes - some alloys do not fit over some of the bigger brakes (Brembos) that go on the VR-4...

And improved pads and fluid may give you brakes you like without need for bigger brakes and then bigger wheels easier to choose...

Name
    neal
    Last Online
    30-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1998 legnum vr4

So what would i have to do get the diameter of the disk before choosing the alloys? btw why do alot of people go for the evo wheels?

Another thing is what causes thee turbo to flutter like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMCWy7Czxs
    I've read it's when the bov doesn't open in time & causes compressor surge which makes your turbo ill, but i've also read that some wastegate set up can make the flutter with no ill effects.

What do the screamer pipes do & how do they effect the car?

cheers chris!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

For most of your questions you need a techie to appear and give some answers but...

Evo wheels are chosen because they fit the car AND the are guaranteed to go over Brembos which are fitted to Evos and are the brake kits we buy 2nd hand from Evo owners or other sources...

Start looking on MLR for such stuff and perhaps join MLR eventually to allow you to buy stuff from there more easily, and some spares/Group Buys and track days and other stuff at a discount...

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Well Lane Dyno, customer satisfaction 'gauranteed' on every Dyno run! lol
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    10-04-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    COTY

now depending what you call dished, iv got my old set of wheels laying in my garden, there for sale but im too lazy to advertise.

these wheels 7.5 x 18
    Last edited by Pugme; 10-06-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Name
    neal
    Last Online
    30-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1998 legnum vr4

Who are the techies on here chris? i could definitely do with having a chat to somebody!
    Right i can understand why evo stuff is so popular on these boards, i've been on the mlr website & seen some brembos for sale does it matter what size ect? so they arrange track days on there as well i'll have to have a closer look at that i think. cheers chris.

Miller so it is good place to go?

Pugme these or the sort of deep dish i'm after not necessarily exactly the same but deep. would you upload a pic of em for me please?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast