Name
    Karl
    Last Online
    14-07-2011
    Country
    New Zealand

Post 1.8L ST GDI Questions

Hi everyone!

Recently purchased this car (auto, 140k on clock). Purchased for a pretty good price, and is in great condition, but has the shudder that most of these seem to suffer from at least once in their lifetimes. I'm going to get the trans flushed and the correct fluid used etc with a new ATF filter, hopefully its not the torque converter! (car shudders between 55 and 60 kms) but its not too bad and doesnt occur all the time.

Anyway, my question was what else whould I be looking at service wise? Guy I picked it up off said the cambelt had been done by the previous owner but I'm not so sure, is there a way I can check? Any other stuff I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance, as you can probably tell I don't know too much about cars! Oh, and great site by the way, very informative!

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

I would replace the cambelt just to be on the safe side. There is no way to check.

Change the Spark plugs, get the intake manifold acid dipped and cleaned and run her on 98
    To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, it seems that one of the key things with the GDI is to run it on 98, as they appear to benefit by way of better performance, better economy, and considerably reduced coking up of the inlet (which is why David has suggested dipping it to clean it thoroughly).

Have you checked the colour/condition of the ATF on the dipstick - it'll probably be brown, I would have thought, and if so, definitely needing a change! Speaking of the change, make sure that the gearbox is flushed properly! I'm unsure of how much difference there with the 1.8 GDI autobox, but I suspect that simply draining and refilling the sump will only change around half the fluid, as approximately the same amount again will remain in the gearbox internals, and you'll only end up with a useless mix of new and old oil. So make sure the flush is done properly, although expect to use 10+ litres of ATF for this process.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.