Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 ST-R? It's time for VR-4 power!

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Great news Stefan! Are you going to get some VR-4 badges to replace the ST-R ones with?

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Great news Stefan! Are you going to get some VR-4 badges to replace the ST-R ones with?
    Don't think so Ryan. I thought about a change to "Viento GDI" stickers...

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

a bit more completed yesterday...nearly there to plan for the first "test drive" - a bit nervous now... see post #14 for more info

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

it has been done. besides a minor problem (at least I hope it's minor) the engine is in and running. Port #14 has been updated.

But I need your help here folks: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...l-pack-testing

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

I was ever wondering why the engine was running like a bag of nuts. I thought it might be because the engine needs to settle. But in fact, it was due to an engine failure. Cylinder #6 has no compression. We'll check thursday, what's the reason for this, but I am currently considering to break my car. Have lost interest and need to stop spending so much money on this...

Here's the thread to see, which parts may be available: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...ine-drivetrain

cheers
    the one and only...Pearl White Legnum 25 ST-R...registered in Germany - now featuring a 6A13TT engine (unless you know otherwise)

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Gutted for you mate, that is a real pain. Hope you can find a way to finish this without too much more expense. Take a break and think it through - remember when I nearly gave up with mine. 5 years later now and I'm glad I didn't!

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Keep the faith Stefan!

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Stefan, do you have any idea why there's no comp on that cylinder? it could be as simple as a stuck valve.

Given there's a Ring trip in 5 weeks time is there any way of doing a CVR delivery service to me and then we can work it from there? I was considering looking at the same option for mine rather than try and get the head gaskets done.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Lee, today I went to the workshop and now I know what the reason is for the compression failure. the piston on cyl #6 has got broke. several parts have chipped from the edge of the piston, although the piston rings are ok.

any ideas what can have caused this?

In fact, the engine is fu**ed and I need to discuss with he guy I bought the engine off. He promised the engine is running and it isn't. I am in need of another engine now...

I still have not decided if I will go for another engine or if I am going to break the car.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

sounds like the ring lands have gone then , has been seen before - det / knock will casue it

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by crazydriver81 View Post
    Lee, today I went to the workshop and now I know what the reason is for the compression failure. the piston on cyl #6 has got broke. several parts have chipped from the edge of the piston, although the piston rings are ok.

any ideas what can have caused this?

In fact, the engine is fu**ed and I need to discuss with he guy I bought the engine off. He promised the engine is running and it isn't. I am in need of another engine now...

I still have not decided if I will go for another engine or if I am going to break the car.
    That's terrible news man, I hope that whoever you bought it from comes to the party and sorts you out accordingly.

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

that sucks,

dont ditch after all the work put in!

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Bad news Stefan. I also hope you don't part the car out, I am sure you will love it once it is up and running properly.

One thing that interested me (reading through this thread for the first time!) was your experience with the aluminium subframe. It fits fine with the manual gearbox and my step father (an engineer) couldn't see any reason (strength wise) why it would not be used for a VR-4. However, if it doesn't fit with a auto gearbox, that would be a very good reason not to go with the Aluminium subframe.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    One thing that interested me (reading through this thread for the first time!) was your experience with the aluminium subframe. It fits fine with the manual gearbox and my step father (an engineer) couldn't see any reason (strength wise) why it would not be used for a VR-4. However, if it doesn't fit with a auto gearbox, that would be a very good reason not to go with the Aluminium subframe.
    I know that the aluminium subframe was used with the 4 speed autos in the ST25, but they (and the transfer case) are physically smaller than the 5 speed version.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Would it be possible to just take the block and head from another bad engine and send that to Stefan on it's own? I know it would be some work to rebuild but I'm guessing the broken engine is already in parts. Just thinking that it would be easier than a complete V6 engine.

Stefan, wasn't this from the car that was mis-sold via the Japanese dealer? I remember that thread mentioning the engine didn't sound very good but once the dealer agreed to sort the mistake out the car [engine] was advertised as having been found to be running fine, just needed an oil-change or some other thing. If you were mis-sold it do you have any rights under German laws? I was under the impression they are quite strict with these matters.

Name
    Taylor
    Last Online
    08-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Evo 7

Quote Originally Posted by scott.mohekey View Post
    I know that the aluminium subframe was used with the 4 speed autos in the ST25, but they (and the transfer case) are physically smaller than the 5 speed version.
    I have it in my car, W5M5 box and Vr4 Xfercase.

****house mate, Im sure you can fix it relatively painlessly, whats another weekend of work to complete the project.

I too hope the guy you bought the wreck off comes to the table.
    Less a Driver of a VR4, more an owner of a pile of parts...

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Hi Kenneth!

After all I must say that you could fit the ST-R 4WD alloy subframe together with the engine and gearbox from a VR-4. It was a fault from me, as I putted the engine/gearbox in from undeneath and lifted it not enough. So I thought it fouls at the subframe. But I would say that the inner driveshaft boot will rub at the alloy subframe as the frame has another geometry (is larger) to take the front lateral arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Bad news Stefan. I also hope you don't part the car out, I am sure you will love it once it is up and running properly.

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee View Post
    Stefan, wasn't this from the car that was mis-sold via the Japanese dealer? I remember that thread mentioning the engine didn't sound very good but once the dealer agreed to sort the mistake out the car [engine] was advertised as having been found to be running fine, just needed an oil-change or some other thing. If you were mis-sold it do you have any rights under German laws? I was under the impression they are quite strict with these matters.
    of course you are right. And this is why I bought the car from him. Because he sweared that the engine was running. On collection of the car we were not able to start the engine as there was no fuel etc. Only thing we have done is tick the engine over to test if it's stuck or not.

And no, I cannot claim anything from him as it was a private sale without receipt etc. try to call that guy and discuss - all I can do

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Here is the result of the endoscopy...

cylinder head on cyl #6 (valve side)
    8O203412.JPG8O203511.JPG8O203434.JPG8O203357.JPG

piston of cyl #6
    8O204043.JPG8O204034.JPG

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Not Good Stefan , that does look like the ring land has shattered , picture quality isn't that great but I think I can make out pitting in the crown which would suggest det/knock

There is no way you have caused that by turning the engine over , that sort of damage is likely to have happen under heavy load

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast